Andy King

BagRam

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, richinspain said:

9 hours ago, richinspain said:
11 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think the Blue Peter mob are untarnished...…..as are the Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise, the chap from 3 2 1, the 2 Likely Lads and the 2 lasses from the Liver Birds......

Thank Christ for that, still, it's not that many from a whole decade!

Think Mr Humphries is 'free' as well

Writing off King after what effectively comrprises a game and a half for us seems a bit daft to me. I also think that if it's a short-term contract, there are far worse mentors out there for Sibley and Knight. It's not necessarily the signing I'd really like but we could do a lot worse IMO.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Writing off King after what effectively comrprises a game and a half for us seems a bit daft to me. I also think that if it's a short-term contract, there are far worse mentors out there for Sibley and Knight. It's not necessarily the signing I'd really like but we could do a lot worse IMO.

We already have Shinnie, Dowell and Holmes to play either side of Huddlestone, pushing Sibley/Knight down to 5th/6th choice and limited game time.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We already have Shinnie, Dowell and Holmes to play either side of Huddlestone, pushing Sibley/Knight down to 5th/6th choice and limited game time.

Huddlestone's the primary problem with midfield.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Huddlestone's the primary problem with midfield.

I didn't see the game but the reviews of the Rangers game seemed to suggest creativity was our major problem - Huddlestone adds to the midfield in that regard

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not advocating signing him as I said in my post only that those rubbishing him are being harsh.

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I didn't see the game but the reviews of the Rangers game seemed to suggest creativity was our major problem - Huddlestone adds to the midfield in that regard

No, we needed to win the ball back to manage to even begin to create. He's like an old creaking gate that lets anyone walk through him in midfield. He was constantly out of position defensively, and could never make up the ground to be where he should have been. 

4 hours ago, Srg said:

No, we needed to win the ball back to manage to even begin to create. He's like an old creaking gate that lets anyone walk through him in midfield. He was constantly out of position defensively, and could never make up the ground to be where he should have been. 

We were much better off when Johnson played instead of him or with him. He is past it now and I thought we'd realised that when we nearly got rid of him in January.

In a 46 game season at Championship level Huddlestone isn't the type of defensive midfielder we need. There's no doubt he's one of the best long passers in the league but in some ways he reminds me of Jeff Hendrick when he used to play deep - far too easy to play round and in this division there are too many teams with players who are more than capable of being able to do that.

I'm hoping Shinnie will play the DM role - much more mobile which possibly is what Cocu wants from all his midfielders, as well as being more physical than Tom who has never really punched his weight.

By the way, going back on topic Andy King is a 'no' for me - injury prone in the last couple of seasons and therefore a high risk of turning out to be a wasted loan.

45 minutes ago, KCG said:

We were much better off when Johnson played instead of him or with him. He is past it now and I thought we'd realised that when we nearly got rid of him in January.

Absolutely. I wasn’t Johnson’s biggest fan either because he’s certainly a limited player but he did offer us bite and a balance to our play that no one else we had could. 

10 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Yes Huddlestone certainly adds to the problem when it comes to the lack of creativity. Keogh puts in more forward passes than Huddlestone and probably puts in more runs into the opposition's half than Huddlestone.

A fit Andy King would be a great asset, I'm sure. I'm not sure how anyone could have confidence that he's going to be able to get and stay fit though. Missed a lot of football in recent years. Reluctantly, its a 'no thanks', from me to someone I rate as a player.

Huddlestone is not a defensive midfielder, he's a deep lying playmaker. If you actually watch the games during pre-season he moves up and down interchangeably with the other midfielders. It's clear Cocu is not setting us up with a traditional central defensive midfielder but a more fluid midfield in the "total football" mindset. Anyone can push up as long as someone steps back to cover, hence we saw Bennett play as a CM during the Burton game and Huddlestone was in the "10 position".

Huddlestone is staying in the team and is important for the upcoming season. Cocu clearly rates him for his vision and one-touch passing within tight spaces. He's been given licence to roam vertically so he can use his quick thinking in more attacking positions and we're putting in two dynamic midfielders to help cover for this. Knight, Sibley, Shinnie, Dowell and King are very much box-to-box with the characteristics to put in a shift in anywhere in the midfield.

My only concern is whether or not King can last most of the 90, it might be till January till we get any full 90s from him.

3 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

It's a distinct possibility that it is a mindset/attitude issue.

I am not dismissing his injury record, but his progression from these injuries does lay him open to speculation.

As does his general fitness and condition

Seriously? Is it not just possible that years of damage and then recovering away from training accumulate into a body that's not able to do what it used to?

Individually they're all renowned for taking pace, speed and mobility of a player's game, and all happened in the span between 20 and 25, when you should be settling into your body and having the best time of your career.

I don't really think it's possible to fairly assess what his attitude is like.

5 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

Seriously? Is it not just possible that years of damage and then recovering away from training accumulate into a body that's not able to do what it used to?

Individually they're all renowned for taking pace, speed and mobility of a player's game, and all happened in the span between 20 and 25, when you should be settling into your body and having the best time of your career.

I don't really think it's possible to fairly assess what his attitude is like.

His physical conditioning has enabled lots of people to draw/speculate their own opinions. The timescale of his injuries should have resulted in him being in better condition. So I ask myself has he the aptitude or desire to achieve more ……………… or not as the case may be.

It's about time people stopped fantasising about him, he needs to apply himself to his conditioning.

When and only when he is up to speed can we assess his abilities.

Archived