Sign in to follow this  
BagRam

Andy King

I had formed the impression from reading the various reports back from members attending the games, that we lack a midfield "strong man" - a fully mobile and reliable George Thorne type player for example.

We certainly don't need a "Bryson type player" who is likely (owing to injury) not to be as useful or reliable as Bryso himself.

14 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Think you've just said it yourself. Comparable to Bryson but I'd say he still had a couple of years in him. Shinnie replaced Johnson. Dowell replaced Mount but we haven't really got someone in the Bryson mould. 

Shinnie is our Bryson/Johnson hybrid (closer to Bryson IMO)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BagRam said:

3438A576-9511-45EC-8FC0-1FA327BD1358.png

The first thing I would want to know is does this twitter account have any credibility? Is he ITK or have any track record of being a reliable source? “Sean@seanfromenderby” could just be a Leicester fan who knows no more than we do

Edited by Arsene Titman
Word missed

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Really hope not. Injury prone, old, probably on fairly high wages. Should be everything we're against now, give Knight and Sibley the chance, don't sign King.

If we have Knight and King then we just need to sign Teddy Bishop from Ipswich and it's check mate....

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't see it personally. We're talking about old history if we're speaking about King in the Championship, he's been relatively poor in the Premiership with less than 30 appearances a season every year since Leicester were promoted. I think he's very comparable to Bryson in playstyle and ability. Both past their best. I don't see why we'd get rid of one and sign another.

Probably because he's younger than Bryson and by loaning someone like King you're getting a quality player for now while not blocking the pathway for youngsters in the future. We also lost a good number of experienced players with Bryson, Johnson, Cole and Nugent leaving at the end of last season so another experienced head would be good to have not just on the pitch but in the dressing room. The way I see something like this is if he gets back to his best we've got one of the best midfielders in the division, if he doesn't he can still do a job and his presence will hopefully help out the likes of Sibley and Knight improve their game.

Could still be rubbish but if it is true, I wouldn't see it as a bad signing.

Edited by lrm14

I can’t see the point of this one if true on the basis that king would probably be earning as much as johnson was or near to it added to the message of not having anyone blocking the development of the youngsters and king plays where the likes of Sibley and Knight play.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Probably because he's younger than Bryson and by loaning someone like King you're getting a quality player for now while not blocking the pathway for youngsters in the future. We also lost a good number of experienced players with Bryson, Johnson, Cole and Nugent leaving at the end of last season so another experienced head would be good to have not just on the pitch but in the dressing room. The way I see something like this is if he gets back to his best we've got one of the best midfielders in the division, if he doesn't he can still do a job and his presence will hopefully help out the likes of Sibley and Knight improve their game.

Could still be rubbish but if it is true, I wouldn't see it as a bad signing.

His best was in the 10-11 season though. I don't think he's getting back to that 9 years down the line. Thing is, I don't consider Andy King a quality player. Steady enough, but not special. Didn't we just sign Shinnie, who is quite similar to King? Just feels like a bit of a nothing signing to me. I can't see how he would improve us, therefore I don't see the logic in bringing him in, when I think he'd be a squad player at best.

Edited by Andicis
Sorry mods, was replying before I saw the thread get moved

I agree this move makes no financial sense. But it’s only a twitter rumour so perhaps not a reality.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd take him back. Very very good player at this level.

Unfortunately our fans judge him on the 4 games he spent here than what he's done before at this level.

Ditto.

A rotating midfield 3 out of King, Dowell, Shinnie, Holmes, Knight, Sibley sounds tasty to me, it was interesting to note Dowell dropping into the "holding" position on occasion last night, the 6 players are all the energetic all round types that Cocu supposedly favours for his midfield trio, with no specific sitting midfielder.

22 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

If we have Knight and King then we just need to sign Teddy Bishop from Ipswich and it's check mate....

Bring back Paul Jewell. He knows his way around pawn.

I would happily take King, although I don't think it solves any of our requirements in the middle of the park. He would come in as an experienced player, with a reportedly very good attitude. It means that we wouldn't be heavily reliant on overusing the kids too, should they fail to find form. It's also another experienced player in the dressing room, which shouldn't be overlooked considering we've lost a lot this summer. 

As a depth player, he would make a lot of sense. When I say that I don't mean that he will not play a lot of games, I just mean that he can fill a couple of roles and we're unlikely to go into games in a weak position. I would also suggest that he's not exactly the most reliable player to stay away from injuries. 

We absolutely do need a player in the middle of the park who can have a presence. What I mean about presence is someone that is seemingly making the pitch smaller when the opposition is attacking. Someone who can naturally put themselves in the line of opposition passing. Someone who can win physical battles. Thorne was beyond excellent at this when he first joined on loan - most touches, most passes, most tackles... every single game. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would happily take King, although I don't think it solves any of our requirements in the middle of the park. He would come in as an experienced player, with a reportedly very good attitude. It means that we wouldn't be heavily reliant on overusing the kids too, should they fail to find form. It's also another experienced player in the dressing room, which shouldn't be overlooked considering we've lost a lot this summer. 

As a depth player, he would make a lot of sense. When I say that I don't mean that he will not play a lot of games, I just mean that he can fill a couple of roles and we're unlikely to go into games in a weak position. I would also suggest that he's not exactly the most reliable player to stay away from injuries. 

We absolutely do need a player in the middle of the park who can have a presence. What I mean about presence is someone that is seemingly making the pitch smaller when the opposition is attacking. Someone who can naturally put themselves in the line of opposition passing. Someone who can win physical battles. Thorne was beyond excellent at this when he first joined on loan - most touches, most passes, most tackles... every single game. 

Didn’t Thorne only play 13 games whilst on loan? Anyway I know what you mean but I don’t think we have reached that stage yet 

5 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Would rather have kept Johnson. Had a bad injury last year and is on the wind down by all accounts. Do we have non domestic scouts? 

YouTube?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd take him back. Very very good player at this level.

Unfortunately our fans judge him on the 4 games he spent here than what he's done before at this level.

Why shouldn't we judge him based on his most recent appearances alongside Derby players, as opposed to performances five years ago with an entirely different group of players alongside him?

I'd be very disappointed if there's any truth in this. Firstly because I don't rate King as he is now, and secondly I think it would show a real lack of ideas among Cocu and his coaching team if they haven't identified their own targets and are seemingly happy to settle for someone identified by our previous coach.

Edited by Anon

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Is the person quoted in the OP reputable enough to merit its own thread?

He's got plenty of Leicester followers hanging on to his every word, so would suggest he knows something - if not everything. 

Good God I hope not he's  got to be one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Derby shirt  and in over 45 years I've seen some crap players

Just now, harwich ram said:

Good God I hope not he's  got to be one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Derby shirt  and in over 45 years I've seen some crap players

He played in the equivalent of less than 2 full matches for us due to injury, so that's some statement.