Pre Season Friendly v Rangers (A)

DarkFruitsRam7

Just now, Derby blood said:

That's were Shinnie should hopefully come in, bring him on 2nd half, good to see our keeper and centre backs having good games, think Evans is doing really well at centre back and deserves to start the season at that position.

I can't really comment on Shinnie as I haven't seen enough. I hope you're right as the impression I get is that he's more in the Bryson style with better defensive qualities. So he should be a very useful player but I still think we need another midfielder in the Eustace (hopefully better) mould. 

Someone who can help us keep our shape, knit the midfield together, win the ball and allow the attacking mids to go about their jobs. 

If we don't bring anyone in I think we will regret letting Johnson go. He wasn't ideal but he was the closest we had to that type of player. Now we have no-one.

********Obviously a 2014 fully fit George Thorne would be an absolute godsend right now********

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can see Dowell being replaced by Shinnie at half time, possibly the plan before the game, Dowell started the last 3 games & Shinnie also needs game time after missing Burton last week.

After the first 15mins Lawrence Dowell Bennett Jozefzoon & Waghorn were pretty poor. They are making too many easy runs off our midfielders & behind the full backs. Need to learn to follow their runners better.

This is the same performance as Girona tbh. When I was defending Martin, it was because of this. Waggy now upfront and hasn't done a single thing but we're not getting the ball up to him. It doesn't matter if we have Martin, Martyn or Messi, we aren't creating 

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Anyone up for a game of forum bingo? In the event we don't win the match and you have all of the following statements (or a close variation) on your card you win a prize...

"mid-table at best"

"we're skint, where are the signings?"

"Cocu will be a dud"

"the kids aren't ready"

"Lawrence not good enough"

Eyes down players, markers at the ready.

5 minutes ago, TZM said:

Prem? We’d be murdered ?

Maybe, what I meant was, it's more a Prem style team as you don't necessarily need a battling CM in the Prem as the style of that division is different and requires more mobile and technical players. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Eyes down players, markers at the ready.

Most of the comments are reasonable apart from the cocu one tbh. A lot of fans see "Mid table" as a terrible failure, I disagree with that- DEPENDING on how its achieved and what plan we have

What would we give for Mount now, nobody turning and finding the forwards.

Bring Shinnie on, and stick Sibley in there as well, we need the midfield to take people on

and link up play. Good thing is we can only improve, and we are still level thanks to Roos

what a game he's had so far, restored some faith now!

Well we started okay... for 15-20 we sprayed it around pretty well, but they certainly backed off and let us.

After that it was a bit more worrying, can't believe we're still getting done on so many crosses.

Roos kept us in it but jeez can he catch/hold the ball occasionally

Think Dowell's been pretty anonymous, and in general not a lot of productive build up play, crying out for a Martin type player to hold it up and bring the other 4 attackers in.

Can see Cocu looking to bringing in a bit more creativity in somewhere between Hudds and Waghorn this week based on this.

Could argue we'd be better off with a deeper midfielder rather than Bennett - someone to break play up a bit more.

If we don't sign anyone then this side will struggle to get in the top half.

We have no spark at all. No creativity at all. Their keeper hasn't had a save to make.

We don't look good defensively either.

We need a winger that will actually run at his fullback, a midfielder with a bit of spark and creativity and a centre half. 

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

Maybe, what I meant was, it's more a Prem style team as you don't necessarily need a battling CM in the Prem as the style of that division is different and requires more mobile and technical players. 

Most teams in the premier league have a defensive midfielder. Man City would not be as good without Fernandinho for example. 

Just now, Alpha said:

I get the sense people are stressing. 

Always amazes me how confident people will be after a good pre-season, and how stressed out they'll be after a poor one. Like it has any bearing at all ? 

First chance of the half for Derby, all Bennett; but Waghorn gets smothered as the ball comes in.

Resultant corner is cleared by Rangers over to Lawrence on the left who works a cross in thats just too high for Jozefzoon at the far post.

Archived