No transfer news

Terry p

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Yeah fair point.

Struggling I'd say around 14th to 18th ish, the typical Clough type season.

Current squad I'd be very happy with anything above 14th, in fact I would say it would be some achievement.

I think we’ll have to settle for mid table.  Coco will need time, I hope he gets it. If we can develop a few of the Academy players in the next 12 months, we will be much better placed for 2020/21.

NC’s last 2 seasons were 12th and 10th. Somewhere around there seems about right unless we are able to make 2 or 3 significant additions, which may have to wait a while.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Think top 6 is more of a hope than something we are "expected" to achieve now considering how weak our squad is. With lampard top 6 was the minimum we expected considering the strength of the squad. Now we are rank outsiders for top 6.

fail in the play offs again after paying biggish money for 3 imports/loan playerss who leave after the season or finish mid table after blooding the likes of knight,Sibley,Lowe etc given a chance ? I know which i would choose

21 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

fail in the play offs again after paying biggish money for 3 imports/loan playerss who leave after the season or finish mid table after blooding the likes of knight,Sibley,Lowe etc given a chance ? I know which i would choose

Well tell us then......?

Am I really seeing people satisfied if we finish mid table ? Wow.

Off the back of last season under a rookie manager, we’ve loss some good players..but they are bloody replaceable surely!? Cocu must know a gem or two, Rosenior knows the league inside out does he not? 

21k season tickets sold, an absolute coup bringing Cocu in and the expectations are tenth. My God. Set the bar higher FFS, that’s Millwall and Preston standard 

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Off the back of last season under a rookie manager, we’ve loss some good players..but they are bloody replaceable surely!? Cocu must know a gem or two, Rosenior knows the league inside out does he not? 

21k season tickets sold, an absolute coup bringing Cocu in and the expectations are tenth. My God. Set the bar higher FFS, that’s Millwall and Preston standard 

Our squad as it stands is middtable standard- Unless a few of our youth lads can  make the step up

5 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I doubt anyone’s satisfied with 10th but I don’t expect much more without suitable reinforcements. 

I, and a few others, are just expressing the view that we still look short of quality in vital areas.

8 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Our squad as it stands is middtable standard- Unless a few of our youth lads can  make the step up

it’ll get addressed in the next week or two - once the Prem sides submit there squads, we’ll pounce i’m certain of it.

Just take two or three quality additions and we are back in the mix again. Dowell already looks a cut above in midfield just from the Burton cameo 

What we must do is stand by the team/squad and management regardless of where we finish. If we truly are only a mid-table team, that is because we were spiked by Chelsea, and by Lampard. So long as the team are giving it their all, we must not get on their backs - they didn’t put us in this mess.

COME ON YOU RAMS!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it?

Top 6: defence good enough, strike force good enough, midfield - could be

Exactly. We have some of the best defenders and strikers in the league. The way people are going on here it sounds like our midfield is complete garbage and it definitely is not.

Of the little ive seen of Dowell so far i dont think Mount is thousands of miles better than him and personally i think the likes of Knight and Sibley have also looked pretty good so far, but i guess that means we are getting relegated. 

I really want the fans to give Cocu time, but jesus christ we've already got wristslashers out in force already. Id hate to see what would happen if a couple of results go against him.

14 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Exactly. We have some of the best defenders and strikers in the league. The way people are going on here it sounds like our midfield is complete garbage and it definitely is not.

Of the little ive seen of Dowell so far i dont think Mount is thousands of miles better than him and personally i think the likes of Knight and Sibley have also looked pretty good so far, but i guess that means we are getting relegated. 

I really want the fans to give Cocu time, but jesus christ we've already got wristslashers out in force already. Id hate to see what would happen if a couple of results go against him.

And results will go against us as we are in the championship and they will go for us at times - yes we must give them time because these youngsters are the lifeblood of the club now and the only way we can progress either with them collectively or by selling them when we are ready and improving as we go

47 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

What we must do is stand by the team/squad and management regardless of where we finish. If we truly are only a mid-table team, that is because we were spiked by Chelsea, and by Lampard. So long as the team are giving it their all, we must not get on their backs - they didn’t put us in this mess.

COME ON YOU RAMS!

Agree but after reading some comments on here  not  so sure fans will give him the time which I find astonishing !  Cocu appears a massive coup and we need to understand that he's hardly had any time and yet hasn't panicked and gone spending money on players giving everyone a fair chance 

This must've put us behind in our planning and not much time to do much business in

I actually find it very commendable how Cocu has gone about this process and will definitely need to see proper games in the league and cup to assess things further but it is Lampard that has caused any bad start to the season if it happens....Mel has pulled in a very good manager and we need to support him and make him feel welcome through thick and thin as i think next season will be the season to judge him more on but he may surprise us and get us into play off contention but whatever happens i'm still over the moon that he's our manager....COYR

2 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Lets see who we get this week, as uncle Phil has indicated we are ‘strengthening ‘ the team.  At the moment I’m just as worried about the injuries to Marriott, Holmes and Carson.

He has indicated that he trying to bring some in this week or next week - fair enough ( as most top teams are returning from all their overseas jaunts) and you are right to be concerned about Marriott who has been frequently deemed not fit and Holmes who always looks positive without having a real position to play in and as for Carson well he may well be not fit currently but he is a goalkeeper and a well paid one in the last year of his contract and not first choice so I expect that we are trying to sell him if we can get a decent offer for him.

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He has indicated that he trying to bring some in this week or next week - fair enough ( as most top teams are returning from all their overseas jaunts) and you are right to be concerned about Marriott who has been frequently deemed not fit and Holmes who always looks positive without having a real position to play in and as for Carson well he may well be not fit currently but he is a goalkeeper and a well paid one in the last year of his contract and not first choice so I expect that we are trying to sell him if we can get a decent offer for him.

Agree with all of that, I rate Carson and think he is better than the other two but agree that it looks like his future is elsewhere.  It feels like its all about wages. I see Birmingham are splashing the cash again despite getting a hit for FFP last year.  The Gumps are the same. Someone said on one of the threads that uncle Phil will wait for the Jan window to splash the cash and have a look at what he has first. We must have cash from Frank and co, the two transfers and the play off final. I think Jan for perms would be a good idea 

For me Cocu has a free hit this season, if we lose games but play well (and see the team improving) that's acceptable. Before we have had managers who have bought players in who haven't improved the squad. I am happy for Cocu to take his time over signings to make sure they will benefit the team and play the style he wants. We have seen managers come and go, some by their own choice some by MM's.We need to take a step back to go forward and Mel seems to have taken this stance by giving Cocu a 4 year deal but Mel needs to stand by his manager to see it through so we get consistency and harmony throughout the club

11 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Agree with all of that, I rate Carson and think he is better than the other two but agree that it looks like his future is elsewhere.  It feels like its all about wages. I see Birmingham are splashing the cash again despite getting a hit for FFP last year.  The Gumps are the same. Someone said on one of the threads that uncle Phil will wait for the Jan window to splash the cash and have a look at what he has first. We must have cash from Frank and co, the two transfers and the play off final. I think Jan for perms would be a good idea 

A few thoughts:

1) Can we desist from the Uncle Phil moniker. Will give too many people unnecessary flashbacks to their youth and the arrival on the scene of a good friend of their mothers.

2) January never has been, and never will be, a good time to try for permanent transfers.

3) We probably have a one or two permanents in mind, but I suspect we are having to play a waiting game at the moment as Premier teams finalise their 25 man squads. A few incoming loans from that direction this week is very likely; despite the inactivity and radio silence I wouldn’t be surprised if another 4 new faces arrived before the Huddersfield game.

10 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

For me Cocu has a free hit this season, if we lose games but play well (and see the team improving) that's acceptable. Before we have had managers who have bought players in who haven't improved the squad. I am happy for Cocu to take his time over signings to make sure they will benefit the team and play the style he wants. We have seen managers come and go, some by their own choice some by MM's.We need to take a step back to go forward and Mel seems to have taken this stance by giving Cocu a 4 year deal but Mel needs to stand by his manager to see it through so we get consistency and harmony throughout the club

Yeah, it looks to me like he's been assured that he has 4 years to get this right.

As such, he's not rushing to sign players before he has fully assessed what he has available to him. 

With the fees we've received and the wages off the wage bill, we'll be in a healthy position by next year when Cocu has a full appraisal of the team, having seen the first teamers and the youngsters in competition for a year.

This is a manager that I'm more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt to for a couple of years.

I'm sick of being the 'nearly men' - I'd rather us step away and really assess what we have before making the tweaks needed and going for it next season or the season after.

We might still be playoff contenders as we are - is our squad any worse than Sheffield United's last season? The right management can make all the difference.

Archived