No transfer news

Terry p

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, FolkStar85 said:

Could we please have a few exciting signings? The club did great with appointments of manager and coaches. Was hoping for a bit more transfer rumour to make the summer more interesting. 

Were you excited when we signed Butterfield and Johnson for mammoth fees? Be careful what you wish for as it may come true. 

On 26/07/2019 at 09:50, Smyth_18 said:

I'm going to take the plunge and say that i am honestly a little bit worried for the season ahead.

Dowell is in no way a replacement for Mount or Wilson and would have been a good addition if we already had 2 players of their calibre.

We made a lot of basic defensive errors last season and we have lost our player of the year from that defensive unit.

Cocu has had 2 weeks? To get the players back up to fitness. It will be very hard to also put across his philosophy had have everybody singing from the same hymn sheet in that time.

At this moment in time i am expecting a very slow start and a 10th to 14th finish, which i suppose isn't all that much of a disaster. 

We are well and truly back to square one (Nigel Clough days) which is exciting and worrying in equal measure.

Sorry if this comes across as negative. I just hope fans aren't expecting us to be flying from the off because we have a very good foreign coach. It will take time. As long as we set out on a path and stick to it, i will be content.

Sorry but that's just straight up wrong. When we appointed Nigel Clough we were a club in free fall looking for anyone that might stabilise us in any sort of way. 

Cocu's appointment and the club's current situation are leaps ahead of where we were then. The academy is thriving and we're not lumbered (pun intended) with too much deadwood in the squad. Also, as both the manager and players have said, the 2 styles of play are very similar and it's just a higher level of tactical nuance present with Cocu so the transition shouldn't be too laboured. I mean ffs the highest Clough had managed was L2 whereas Cocu has won 3 domestic titles in the top tier of football in the Netherlands... 

Just seems strange how there’s no new names rumoured, even if it’s just paper/agent talk.

I can’t see us doing much business this late on, which is disappointing considering the quality we’ve had leave. The wide areas look league 1 standard IMO, none are known goal scorers or known for assisting. There’s little creativity in midfield, without Mount we seriously struggled going forward - although Dowell looks decent, can’t solely rely on him.

Davies looks nowhere near ready at CB, Evans is very ‘meh’. So that’s another thing which needs to be addressed. New keeper? Walton joined Blackburn...not heard heard much since regarding a new name...

I get we are being patient but there’s quality to be had FFS. Seeing Costa join Fulham and Sawyers join WBA shows this.

Comparing Cocu with Clough is like comparing Lewis Hamilton with Wisdom.

What a lot of fans are forgetting is that players that we want who are one of the selling clubs best players need to have a replacement lined up so realistically we will be waiting until August for any key permanent additions.

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

Just seems strange how there’s no new names rumoured, even if it’s just paper/agent talk.

I can’t see us doing much business this late on, which is disappointing considering the quality we’ve had leave. 

Just to clarify, the quality you said have left the club are you alluding to Mason Mount Tomori and Wilson who were never our players anyway 

I would never classify Johnson or Bryson in that same bracket.

42 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just to clarify, the quality you said have left the club are you alluding to Mason Mount Tomori and Wilson who were never our players anyway 

I would never classify Johnson or Bryson in that same bracket.

Of course he is referring to Tomori, Mount and Wilson.

Our current reigning player of the year and two players who scored 30 goals between them and had a fair number of assists too.

They may not have been our players, but they were last season and without them (or adequate replacements) next season is going to be a struggle.

21 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They may not have been our players, but they were last season and without them (or adequate replacements) next season is going to be a struggle.

How realistic is it going to be that were are likely to replace them with another England and Wales international was my point.

What's your definition of a struggle? If it's outside the Top 6 and midtable then I wouldn't classify that as a struggle more a natural levelling process.

6 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

It’s so boring this transfer window. I’m sure we will get a couple in but it’s still boring not even being linked with anyone.

would have been nice to have a couple in for the last pre-season friendly tomorrow 

As the official silly season fan ot the forum I concur. I quite enjoyed the Lampard episode, but since then it's dropped its level like Game of Thrones. Just hope the ending is more dramatic and positively surprising than GoT.

Gotta admit I'm starting to get concerned about the lack of signings now - not sure we're competitive enough for another top 6 push.

I'm okay with a season of mid-table mediocrity blooding youngsters and saving money but I'd imagine I'd be in a very small minority.

Guess we'll see what the next few days brings...

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Were you excited when we signed Butterfield and Johnson for mammoth fees? Be careful what you wish for as it may come true. 

At the time though I thought great signings (I think a lot of us did) 

The unknown here is just how good this crop of youngsters is going to be, and how many games they'll play between them. Seems that's what PC wants to take a view on before he brings anyone else in, and I'm fine with that.

Dowell obviously fills some of the Mount/Wilson gap, and Shinnie some of the Bryson/Johnson gap, so it's not all gloom.

There will be 3 or 4 by deadline day I'm sure, and though it is a little frustrating to watch all the transfer window froth about other clubs while we sit on the sidelines, getting the bottom lip out about it doesn't help. We can't get all excited about Phil one week, then start throwing our toys out about his transfer policy the next.

Admittedly so few signings is disappointing. But with the exception of CB and wingers we'd be blocking the development of our youngsters. 

I can see it staying this way until January after Cocu has had chance to assess how the players coming into the squad fair first. 

35 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Gotta admit I'm starting to get concerned about the lack of signings now - not sure we're competitive enough for another top 6 push.

I'm okay with a season of mid-table mediocrity blooding youngsters and saving money but I'd imagine I'd be in a very small minority.

Guess we'll see what the next few days brings...

Not sure what the folks that aren't happy with mid table mediocrity going to do about it anyway? 

How are season ticket sales doing compared to the same point last year 

13 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

The unknown here is just how good this crop of youngsters is going to be, and how many games they'll play between them. Seems that's what PC wants to take a view on before he brings anyone else in, and I'm fine with that.

Dowell obviously fills some of the Mount/Wilson gap, and Shinnie some of the Bryson/Johnson gap, so it's not all gloom.

There will be 3 or 4 by deadline day I'm sure, and though it is a little frustrating to watch all the transfer window froth about other clubs while we sit on the sidelines, getting the bottom lip out about it doesn't help. We can't get all excited about Phil one week, then start throwing our toys out about his transfer policy the next.

He's doing what I, among others have been advocating  - advancing our youth and seeing what improvements he can achieve through his coaching ?

Archived