Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AndyinLiverpool

England Cricket summer 2019

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

I'm not convinced by Denly. Personally would rather have someone younger in that can grow into the role, even tempted to leave Roy there. 

Roy is a brilliant one day player, can he be tought test batting? OK, a ragin aussie ashes side isn't the easiest introduction, but he's made naff all.

I'd take captaincy off root and make him open with burns. He's out there quick enough anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Roy is a brilliant one day player, can he be tought test batting? OK, a ragin aussie ashes side isn't the easiest introduction, but he's made naff all.

I'd take captaincy off root and make him open with burns. He's out there quick enough anyway.

I think if we give Roy a little time to bed himself in he could prove to be a good red ball player.

The question of changing a captaincy is something I've seen a lot this summer (and previously) but the real question is who do we give it to?

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, rynny said:

I think if we give Roy a little time to bed himself in he could prove to be a good red ball player.

The question of changing a captaincy is something I've seen a lot this summer (and previously) but the real question is who do we give it to?

Its kind of hard to say without knowing the players a lot better, as a cricket captain needs real deep insight into the game as well as instincts and leadership. Staregic chess elements of the game, mixed with decision making on the fly, mixed with your own performance, mixed with how your team redpond to you... Its a complicated job.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, rynny said:

I'm not convinced by Denly. Personally would rather have someone younger in that can grow into the role, even tempted to leave Roy there. 

They say the best 2 young openers in the country are Dominic Sibley & Zak Crawley.

I'd like to see us pick both, one to open with Burns and the other to bat 3.

Root 4, Stokes 5, Pope 6, Bairstow 7.

At least that way we're developing 3 players under the age of 23 in Sibley, Crawley & Pope rather than a 32 year old Denly.

Leave Roy & Buttler to concentrate on pyjamas cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, rynny said:

I think if we give Roy a little time to bed himself in he could prove to be a good red ball player.

The question of changing a captaincy is something I've seen a lot this summer (and previously) but the real question is who do we give it to?

Interestingly Mark Ramprakash who knows a little about batting, was chatting today and said many a good batsman need a bit of time to adjust to test cricket; reckons there’s a good test batsman there that just needs coaching . He also slated the warm up against Ireland (did us no favours), our Oreo from one day to Ashes was woeful in his opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

I think Burns shows the importance of giving a player time to bed in. Going into this series he was probably a poor innings away from the scrapheap, now he’s probably in the first 4 or 5 names on the team sheet.

Really do think they have sold Roy down the river. Stuck him in to open against the best attack in the world when he’s never been an opener. Drop him down to 4, he makes a fairly promising 30 odd and then he’s out never to be seen again probably. Part of me thinks they were concerned he’d make runs in this dead rubber and they’d be forced to keep him in for the next series. 

Share this post


Link to post

Smith gone, c Stokes b Broard for 23

If they'd have tried something like that earlier in the series, eh Joe?

85-4 surely England won't stuff it from here with 300 plus still required and all day tomorrow to bowl and Steve Smith out.

and Stokes isn't Australian.

Share this post


Link to post

England have won the last test and drawn the series 2-2.

On the one hand, England (well, Ben Stokes) had no right to win the third test, but on the other, without Steve Smith I think it would've been much closer and England may well have won the series - didn't we have the aussies something 120-8 in the first test but gave up on ever getting Steve Smith and went on to lose the test....being all out for 67.....it's been up and down following England.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

England have won the last test and drawn the series 2-2.

On the one hand, England (well, Ben Stokes) had no right to win the third test, but on the other, without Steve Smith I think it would've been much closer and England may well have won the series - didn't we have the aussies something 120-8 in the first test but gave up on ever getting Steve Smith and went on to lose the test....being all out for 67.....it's been up and down following England.

Didn’t have them on the ropes a bit in the drawn test as well? I don’t know a lot about cricket, but I definitely felt like we had the upper hand, just didn’t have enough time. 

Draws probably a fair result. I’ve heard lots of doom merchants throughout the series, but from what I heard, it seemed like we did pretty well. Some good, some bad, and as you say, Steve Smith was the big difference. If he’s not playing (or we find some way to get him out for 23) we win (probably over simplifying that slightly). 

Why cant they end it ok a super over or something though. It’s a series with what should be a very definite winner or looser. To simply retain cos the game was drawn is a bit poor.

i get why it happens with things like the Brian cough trophy, cos that’s usually more of a league meeting, so you can’t be even subconsciously influencing a a league match with outside motivations like that, we couldn’t play extra time, for example (although it might be fun to finish any drawn matches with a penalty shoot out for the Brian Clough trophy).

But this is a series, with the sole intention of either winning or loosing the ashes. There’s no reason not to have some sort of decider in the last test if necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't mind a super over for the shorter format world cup's but we should try and keep traditional 5 day test match series as they are IMO. It's the best form and I actually like the process that's currently in place. It's hard to win a series away from home so any victory is held in great regard.

That memorable win down under in 10/11 would be lost in the rabble if there was a winner every time! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.