Leeds Documentary

JfR

41 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Apparently the whole thing was initiated by the club.

8 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Their owner did pay for it and then sold it to Amazon. Doesn't have any of the charm of Sunderland Til I Die really and doesn't pull back behind the curtain like the Man City one does.

Essentially, its an incredibly expensive, incredibly long commercial advert for Leeds United Football Club. Its a PR exercise, and I can't knock them for wanting them to exploit it. But you can tell, within minute one, that it was dreamed up by the club and not initially by a tv company. It doesn't have the neutrality of the Sunderland one - it is just a party political broadcast on behalf of the Leeds United party. And even they couldn't airbrush out the final chapter.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/08/2019 at 15:25, ThePrisoner said:

Their owner did pay for it and then sold it to Amazon. Doesn't have any of the charm of Sunderland Til I Die really and doesn't pull back behind the curtain like the Man City one does.

But neither of those have Leeds fans crying. So this one wins. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a few after work drinks, had fish and chips, watched the U23s, opened a beer and I’ve sat down to watch the Leeds doc. May I say, it’s absolutely hilarious.

Think their whole mentality is summed up during one if the spygate scenes when someone in the club holds some newspapers and says “it’s on the back of the guardian and front page of the Yorkshire Evening Post, so as you can see it’s literally everywhere”. Brilliant.

They have unbelievable support TBH, if only we could make as much noise at PP than they do at Elland RD and all the away games.

I can’t see them failing this season, if they win today and we lose that’s a massive ten point gap between us and them. Considering how the season ended for them and losing Roofe and Jansson I’m impressed 

I can’t see us being near them come season end, I think they will run away with it. It pains me to say it but they look better than last season, they have recruited wisely as well. Bielsa will be extra motivated, I can’t see past them for 1st place, at this moment in time. 

3 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

I can’t see us being near them come season end, I think they will run away with it. It pains me to say it but they look better than last season, they have recruited wisely as well. Bielsa will be extra motivated, I can’t see past them for 1st place, at this moment in time. 

Long season and every good looking Bielsa team before has achieved nowt.

5 hours ago, Papahet said:

They have unbelievable support TBH, if only we could make as much noise at PP than they do at Elland RD and all the away games.

I can’t see them failing this season, if they win today and we lose that’s a massive ten point gap between us and them. Considering how the season ended for them and losing Roofe and Jansson I’m impressed 

You are joking. I've been to Elland Road multiple times, they aren't any better than us. They cheer when they're winning, that's about it.

The only thing I learnt about Leeds fans last night is they’ve got some absolute fools as fans (and pundits) who are willing to spout any old nonsense for a bit of TV time

My overall view of the doc? It’s rubbish. At one point they go to Argentina and I’m still not sure what the point of it was, the whole thing is a waste of time and money.

The only good bit is the song at the start.

1/5 and it’s lucky it gets that

On 31/08/2019 at 08:06, Papahet said:

A population of 450,000 compared with a population of 200,000 might have something to do with it. 

On 31/08/2019 at 08:42, lukedcfc said:

We weren’t near them at the end of last season. Still knocked them out of the play offs though. 

Really can't be arsed to watch the whole thing, but I saw clips of the ending on Twitter whilst I was in Malia, in no fit state to post on this forum.

Glorious. Absolutely glorious. The acoustic version of 'Marching on Together' mixed with Leeds players and fans crying, all whilst you see the Derby players and fans screaming with joy, is pure poetry. 

My dislike of Leeds has really ramped up this past year, despite me having great respect for Bielsa and accepting that their loyal core of fans are fantastic. I don't even particularly dislike Bamford. But the ending to that documentary was absolutely brilliant, and I won't enjoy what is likely to be a title-winning season for them.

On 04/09/2019 at 21:47, TigerTedd said:

A population of 450,000 compared with a population of 200,000 might have something to do with it. 

We actually have closer to 250k in the city now. Doesn't change your point, but just saying.  And our club represents the county rather than the city, but the Leeds - Bradford metropolitan area has over 2 million people, Yorkshire has over 5 million, whilst the entirety of Derbyshire had less than a million in the last census. Yorkshire has more teams to split the the fans between, but not that many.

Archived