Most surprising signing

dog

18 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh god yeah. I wiped the memory as soon as possible. I hate when anyone brings up that he played for us.

Remember when people unironically called Savage a “Derby Legend”? Single handedly made me despise the use of the word.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Remember when people unironically called Savage a “Derby Legend”? Single handedly made me despise the use of the word.

WTF who ever called him that?

Derby "begrudgingly eventually ended as a good servant to the club over some very bleak years"

Is about as far as I think anyone could go with that one.

Asonovic is one that always stuck in my mind. He was one of the best players at Euro 96 and the next thing I knew he was playing for Derby. It was so exciting going into that season with world class players.

The signing I least enjoyed was probably Robert Earnshaw. Not really because of the player but what he represented. You just new he wasn’t good enough and that we were absolutely unprepared to compete in the Prem.

29 minutes ago, Ramsam said:

Asonovic is one that always stuck in my mind. He was one of the best players at Euro 96 and the next thing I knew he was playing for Derby. It was so exciting going into that season with world class players.

The signing I least enjoyed was probably Robert Earnshaw. Not really because of the player but what he represented. You just new he wasn’t good enough and that we were absolutely unprepared to compete in the Prem.

650k before he made team of the tournament .  Arsenal came in for him and we had already signed him for a bargain . They did the same to us the following summer with Petit, We'd already agreed a fee before Arsenal came in  last minute.  Stimac recommended Asanovic , same as Eranio recommended Baiano. Think that may be the way to go sometimes -player recommendation can sometimes get you a bargain.

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

....same as Eranio recommended Baiano....

Jim Smith wanted Roberto Baggio, may have even been close to a deal but, IIRC, Eranio persuaded him that Baiano was a better bet in that he would adapt to English football in general and Derby's style of play quicker than the one with the ridiculous platted ponytail.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Jim Smith wanted Roberto Baggio, may have even been close to a deal but, IIRC, Eranio persuaded him that Baiano was a better bet in that he would adapt to English football in general and Derby's style of play quicker than the one with the ridiculous platted ponytail.

We were very close to Baggio according Jim Smith.  Actually in his house with pen in hand . Lionel had given the go ahead on a million pound signing on fee on top of a big wage that his agent asked for that morning  . Jim pulled the plug last minute due to the overall cost limiting his transfer budget .  Shame as he was European player of the year the following season if memory serves at AC Milan.   Always laugh that Jim turned down Maradona when he was on trial at Birmingham as he thought he was to small to make it . His autobiography is a better read than most standard football books. 

Mick Quinn's is another . Obviously a fair bit about Derby in there . One of his most treasured possessions is letter from Roy McFarland from when Derby released him, telling him how much he rated him and he expected him to still have a great career.  Reckons that gave him the desire to keep playing .

Archived