Most surprising signing

dog

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it "best" signing or "most surprising" (as per topic title)?

I've already said that the most horrifying signing was Savage, 'surprising' because of what had happened before when playing for Leicester against us.

The positive surprise was Eranio - an established Italian international for free - at the time, the media even called it a coup.

7 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I've already said that the most horrifying signing was Savage, 'surprising' because of what had happened before when playing for Leicester against us.

Oh god yeah. I wiped the memory as soon as possible. I hate when anyone brings up that he played for us.

16 hours ago, RamNut said:

Charlie george.

didn't see that one coming at all.

on the basis of a surprise, one that makes you think good grief didn't see that one coming this has to be #2.

the one that made me really sit up and realise in a state of some shock the sort of club I supported was.....

Eddie effing Lewis!  Truly a signing to signal that we were there just to make up the numbers!

15 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In my time, the ones that come to mind: Michael Boulding, Ruben Zadkovich & Chris Weale. It was just three signings that didn't make any sense. It proved as neither of them really played. 

Bradley Johnson was quite a shocking one - promoted with Norwich as their top goalscorer. We were linked with Butterfield all day then Bris, I think, came on here and said that we were close to signing Johnson via Pete O'Rouke at HITC. It was mocked initially and then he came - Johnson for Derby City. Never thought we would've spent £10m within the space of 24hrs at that point. 

Nige bringing in Buxton & Pringle from the local area to play Championship football seemed quite radical at the time too. 

Please don't give those hacks any kind of credit...

For me, it was us ALMOST signing Baggio.  he was still only 30/31 and at his peak, and there we were, ickle Derby County with a shiny new stadium trying to sign one of the top strikers in the world, it boggled the mind ?  And to think Eranio & Biano were 2nd choices...

21 minutes ago, Spanish said:

on the basis of a surprise, one that makes you think good grief didn't see that one coming this has to be #2.

the one that made me really sit up and realise in a state of some shock the sort of club I supported was.....

Eddie effing Lewis!  Truly a signing to signal that we were there just to make up the numbers!

So glad my nickname for him is starting to stick ?

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

John Robertson, couldn't understand why a two time European Cup winner would want to willingly* drop down to the old Third Division. Twenty minutes watching him play showed me why.

*  - as opposed to the whole Forest team, who unwillingly dropped to the third division

Sorry to be pedantic, but Robertson signed for us in the second when Peter Taylor was manager. He was part of the team that got relegated to the old third division.

17 minutes ago, Spanish said:

eh steady on you don't have a copywrite on that, many hundreds if not thousands link those 3 words together

Nope, I'm claiming it.  I said it in my head the very second I read the Best Derby Manager since Jim Smith (TM) had used his fantastic scouting network to sign up... 

gordon ramsay GIF

18 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Taribo West for me. Bloody loved him. Maybe he could solve our current defensive problems, he’s only 27. 

I said to Jim Smith at the Ramarena shortly after he signed Taribo "you have got away with it Jim haven't you"? He said, "I have, haven't I". Meaning that he was going to avoid relegation and he did.

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I said to Jim Smith at the Ramarena shortly after he signed Taribo "you have got away with it Jim haven't you"? He said, "I have, haven't I". Meaning that he was going to avoid relegation and he did.

Is there an echo in here?!

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

Is there an echo in here?!

My send button is malfunctioning in the sense that I get left with a message that I think that I sent but have sent then I wonder whether to send it but I hear an echo so I send it again. Is this groundhog Day?

14 minutes ago, Rampage said:

My send button is malfunctioning in the sense that I get left with a message that I think that I sent but have sent then I wonder whether to send it but I hear an echo so I send it again. Is this groundhog Day?

Didn't you just say that?

18 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Is it "best" signing or "most surprising" (as per topic title)?

The positive surprise was Eranio - an established Italian international for free - at the time, the media even called it a coup.

Savage for me - I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to Derby but Savage was one that made my heart sink, probably the only transfer every to do that. In fairness, I grew to like him, every team wants a Sav....

It's a tough question, but I'd go with Ravanelli. At the time, I found it surprising we could lure him even though he failed at Lazio. 

Of course, now we know why he came (are we still paying him?) 

Archived