Not Addressing Aerial Defensive Frailties

rammieib

55 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Please tell me who you count as a deficient cb and rb partner? Enough to possibly glorify keogh to say he was doing 2 and half jobs...

Not sure I saw it myself.... He's been consistent his entire career, what he's good at he's good at and what's he's bad at he's bad at. The loyalists ignore the bad and for a while the hate squad ignored the good... I'm not doing either, I'm saying it's time for a change... Particularly with what the club are saying they're doing with bringing academy players through. Need a cb and captain who can lead a young team, not one who is prone to moments... 

Well that's your opinion but I wholeheartedly disagree. Keogh is the absolute last player I'd be looking to replace in this team. Ball-playing centre backs are a rarity at this level and there are probably at best a handful that have consistently played at the level Keogh has. And that's not to mention he is an exemplary influence on any player coming through with the way he plays with 100% commitment in every game. Or how he's virtually indestructible and rarely misses games.

He has his weaknesses and has made a mistake now and again but name me a centre back at this level who doesn't or hasn't.

Keogh has rightfully been the first name on the team sheet for a long time and it's highly likely and correct that will continue next year. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly we have been a frail team to an extent for a number of years.

Last season the return of Bradley Johnson (and Mount) was one of the reasons for our upturn in form, his presence, determination, closing down, ariel presence and drive helped us regain our momentum, he bought qualities to the team that it lacked.

Thats my only concern with Cocus appointment, I hope he’s noticed that this division requires teams to have a couple of players willing to do the dirty work to succeed.

I’m all for football that’s easy on the eye, but to allow the creative players to play you need a couple of battlers in your side in the Championship!

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Sadly we have been a frail team to an extent for a number of years.

Last season the return of Bradley Johnson (and Mount) was one of the reasons for our upturn in form, his presence, determination, closing down, ariel presence and drive helped us regain our momentum, he bought qualities to the team that it lacked.

Thats my only concern with Cocus appointment, I hope he’s noticed that this division requires teams to have a couple of players willing to do the dirty work to succeed.

I’m all for football that’s easy on the eye, but to allow the creative players to play you need a couple of battlers in your side in the Championship!

Shinnie and Bennett? Different positions, but if they are the fighters......

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:35, reverendo de duivel said:

I'd expect that Liam Rosenior will make his presence felt in this department.

He certainly had enough to say about our defensive weaknesses while a Sky pundit, who better to sort it out?

He may help organisation wise, but if someone is poo in the air becuase they are either small and weak or not athletic enough to have the spring to get off the ground like Huddlestone then it doesn't matter, when in the championship most teams have 2 or 3 absolute units who will always beat our players in the air. I would like to see us sign a tall, athletic CM to help win the ball and makes us less vulnerable in the air. Easier said than done becuase they may be strong and fast and crap on the ball , or if they are strong and fast and good on the ball then we would either not be able to afford them or we would have to find a hidden gem .

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Shinnie and Bennett? Different positions, but if they are the fighters......

Yep although Mason didn’t always start last season.

I’m hoping Shinnie can do well as midfield is an area we never seem to able to get control of on a regular basis, not since the days of Thorne/Eustace is say.

11 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

I remember us having a centre half who was just about 6' tall and a keeper about 5'10" and we won the league. It's not size that counts but ability.

So it's ok to have a little one?

The main reason we got exposed when balls were coming into the box was because as a team we were a little bit lightweight. We just didn't have enough physical characters. That could change this year of course if we made some signings...

11 hours ago, Coconut said:

Didn't the articles about Cocu's post tactics suggest that he uses a zonal marking system? 

Is it one of those things that pundits just see as an easy thing to criticise or is it genuinely something that's almost always been a complete disaster in English football?

If your players are good enough it’s fine but the players have to be good enough - and the keeper has to dominate the ball from 8 yards out 

Archived