Gay Championship footballer to ‘come out’

cosmic

11 minutes ago, David said:

I was under the impression a couple of journalists have interviewed this footballer for stories to release, Jim White has also confirmed his identity is genuine has he not?

Did he? All I can find is that he was in correspondence with him, which could have been a simple DM on twitter, not particularly hard to do , I’ve lost count how many people have fallen for that fake John Eustace/Chris Martin/ Chris Baird/Scot Carson parody account over the years and that was one of the more easier ones to see is fake. The red flags about this account may not have been obvious, but they were there, such as random people complaining about being blocked by the account when they said they would provide lots of support to them when they came out. A few people have stated the account was made by someone called Jordan from wales, I won’t reveal the link to his account in case it’s false but he does appear to have interacted with the gay footballer account on a few occasions.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers @Pastinaak @McLovin, to be honest I haven't been following it that closely, the odd tweet popped up on my timeline which must have been it.

If it does turn out to be someone on the wind up, that's one seriously twisted individual. Struggle to get my head around why anyone would want to create a parody account, but this would be something else. ?

15 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Im not sure mind what i could say by mistake to a gay footballer that would be offensive when not intended.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not sure... Accusing him of going down too easily?

Shouting "Put it in the box"?

or "You need to go deeper"?

or "Hold on to it longer"

Blimey, when you start to think about, we could all so easily get into trouble, without so much as raising a fist!  
Be careful out there, folks!  Watch yer tongue!  

15 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It depends,  yes i think we can overreact.

For example if my 80 year old dad refers to someone as coloured then no i dont think its racist because the terminology is wrong.

Likewise the footballer (think it was ruddock but not sure) who tweeted that he couldn't wait to get a chinky when he got home, it doesn't make him racist, but big ron saying you ducking lazy n word, that's racist.

Im not sure mind what i could say by mistake to a gay footballer that would be offensive when not intended.

I agree Paul, but in Atkinsons case I am pretty sure he said black ? not the N word which is universally accepted as wrong by young, old and anyone with a decent sense of right and wrong ?

Anyway I think what I meant to say initially , was, using someone's colour as a description shouldn't really be any different than using  height, or other physical characteristic. Of course it still is different because of past history, injustice and oppression, but linguistically and logically  it really shouldn't be.  And on top of that the manufactured outrage from extreme activists, because the wrong pronoun was used relating to someone with gender issues. Reasonable fair minded people get pilloried and branded as something else for failing some semantic/jargonesque test. 

Yes, and on your Dad .. spot on you can't overlay 21st century terminology on an early 20th century person and demand full compliance. "Your car is dangerous - it hasn't got an airbag" .. well the thing is its a Ford Anglia from 1963 which wasn't considered dangerous at the time it was made. 

Common sense, good manners and most of all, intent ….are for me the best things to judge by

It does make me wonder if this could even be a fake account set up by someone at the PFA in order to "test the water" and gauge public response - either just for their own info or due to an approach by a real gay footballer considering making such an announcement.

40 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

It does make me wonder if this could even be a fake account set up by someone at the PFA in order to "test the water" and gauge public response - either just for their own info or due to an approach by a real gay footballer considering making such an announcement.

I dm’d David info of the person who some people think created the account. Looks like a WUM sadly. Don’t know why people get off on creating fake accounts or pretending to be someone. The creator of the gay footballer messaged a 14 year boy who has cerebal palsy (Jude Aston) promising an interview with him but then later blocked the boy. Looks like a hoax that went too far

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

When I first saw it I imagined it to be a hoax, but once Jim White tweeted that he had spoken to him, I believed that it was real. If it is a hoax then it's very poor from Jim White to tweet something like that without doing basic checks.

Ignoring the gay footballer side of it, it’s a pretty scummy thing to promise a 14 year old boy with cerebral palsy an exclusive interview, then later blocking him. Glad to see the boy hasn’t taken it to heart. 

I know times have changed but i wouldnt blame anyone for not wanting to come out.

John O'Shea was gay with will young for about five years according to the Man City fans . I remember Fergie subbing him early on in a game & being convinced it was more to do with the abuse than his performance. He used the get abused from full stands not just the odd one or two fans. 

Graeme le saux takes it up the arse was sung in stands throughout his career 

Homophobia has tormented straight players for years. Not sure if football is ready. Its sad that it isn't in 2019 but id imagine more needs to be done. 

Ive seen a few articles & if they are to be believed the dressing room know who these players are & team mates arnt bothered. The concern is the fans reaction.

Players welfare should be a priority but how would a club react if a player was openly gay? In a money driven sport would it be seen as good for the commercial side of the club or bad? 

Some of these big clubs are supported worldwide in countries that are 30 years behind. Our black players cant even play on international duty in some of these places without monkey chants. 

On 24/07/2019 at 14:06, McLovin said:

Ignoring the gay footballer side of it, it’s a pretty scummy thing to promise a 14 year old boy with cerebral palsy an exclusive interview, then later blocking him. Glad to see the boy hasn’t taken it to heart. 

On the topic of scummy, did you see that Paul McGrath's son went missing and he went on Twitter asking for help to locate him (he's now safely home, thankfully). If you want to see just how some people's minds work take a look at the comments on that thread - makes you ashamed to be human.

Archived