Gay Championship footballer to ‘come out’

cosmic

If Hector Bellerin's tweets are a little 'too woke' for your taste then the simple and obvious solution for those who feel put upon is to stay off his feeds!

One suspects the issues facing gay footballers and members of the LGBTQ community in general might just be a tad more challenging than simply deciding whose Twitter accounts to view or not. Whether Bellerin is sincere or not does not diminish the message conveyed, unless of course, you choose to let it do so.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

If Hector Bellerin's tweets are a little 'too woke' for your taste then the simple and obvious solution for those who feel put upon is to stay off his feeds!

One suspects the issues facing gay footballers and members of the LGBTQ community in general might just be a tad more challenging than simply deciding whose Twitter accounts to view or not. Whether Bellerin is sincere or not does not diminish the message conveyed, unless of course, you choose to let it do so.

I don't use twitter. His tweets are reported by others as "news" stories. No one has said or implied that they feel put upon, or demanded Mr Bellerin cease tweeting.

If my criticism of Hector Bellerin is little too much for your taste then the simple and obvious solution for those who feel put upon is to put me on ignore!

29 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't use twitter. His tweets are reported by others as "news" stories. No one has said or implied that they feel put upon, or demanded Mr Bellerin cease tweeting.

Really?

You wrote:

'Hector Bellenderin will tweet something insufferably woke' 

Insufferable huh! Sounds pretty put upon to me.

McLovin followed up with: 

I think most people are just fed up , like Anon said, about Bellerin thinking he’s “woke”

And why refer to him as Mr Bellerin when you've already called him a 'sanctimonious git' and a *******? What are you trying to prove there? Fact is, we can argue about syntax all day if you like, but I don't think many will be in much doubt really, do you?

And before you start harping on about me being offended by your views on Bellerin, I've never read any of his stuff and have no opinion on the guy, good or bad, so your views on him don't matter to me one iota. Maybe if you re-read the post youi'll understand that the point I made was not whether or not you should like 'Mr Bellerin' but something else altogether.

Never mind eh!

48 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

And before you start harping on about me being offended by your views on Bellerin, I've never read any of his stuff and have no opinion on the guy, good or bad, so your views on him don't matter to me one iota. Maybe if you re-read the post youi'll understand that the point I made was not whether or not you should like 'Mr Bellerin' but something else altogether.

Never mind eh!

Do you often feel the need to leap to the defense of someone you have no opinion on? Also, a lack of sincerity absolutely does diminish the message conveyed.

I think you are a very intelligent person and I respect you a great deal.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

Do you often feel the need to leap to the defense of someone you have no opinion on? Also, a lack of sincerity absolutely does diminish the message conveyed.

I think you are a very intelligent person and respect you a great deal.

I'm not leaping to his defence, what I tried and obviously failed to convey was that his opinions are effectively irrelevant IMO, which is quite different. I respect your opinion too but it saddens me to read that you would allow your opinion of Bellerin to colour your assessment of more important issues. I'm surprsied that you woud admit as much but I respect the fact that you are honest enough to admit as much. 

I fear I'm rather labouring the point now so I shall leave this for others to discuss now.

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm not leaping to his defence, what I tried and obviously failed to convey was that his opinions are effectively irrelevant IMO, which is quite different. I respect your opinion too but it saddens me to read that you would allow your opinion of Bellerin to colour your assessment of more important issues. I'm surprsied that you woud admit as much but I respect the fact that you are honest enough to admit as much. 

I fear I'm rather labouring the point now so I shall leave this for others to discuss now.

I don't allow my view of Bellerin to colour my assessment on any other topic. I agree his views are irrelevant. I didn't intend my criticism of him to also include criticism of every subject he's ever spoken in favour of.

It is a curious thing. As a rule, other than if someone cheats, or is dirty I tend not to be interested in having a go at any player. But it is part of life and football I suppose 

I just wish we could get to a time when whatever proclivity you have, whatever your physique, genetic background or whatever .. they all rate the same .. they don’t, so we have to have some backing in law to control some folk. 

Tell ya something. If this bloke is brave enough to come out in such a 'macho' sport with such over-sensitive fans then fair play to him. 

I get people saying 'who cares' but it isn't about him wanting to thrust his love life in your face, it's about showing younger players/fans that it is absolutely fine to be gay. 

In a sport where 'does your boyfriend know you're here?' is seen as a perfectly acceptable chant/harmless fun because we've normalised being gay as an insult something like this is needed to burst this alpha-male/lad-mentality bubble that rears its ugly head in football. 

I'll certainly be reporting any absolute relics who decide to shout abuse at him when we end up playing against his team at our place. 

Does anyone else think that a lot of what would (and should )be ready easy acceptance, is sometimes hampered by certain kind of campaigner who are ready to jump down your throat because you use the “wrong” jargon or terminology ? 

Sith Happens
42 minutes ago, jono said:

Does anyone else think that a lot of what would (and should )be ready easy acceptance, is sometimes hampered by certain kind of campaigner who are ready to jump down your throat because you use the “wrong” jargon or terminology ? 

It depends,  yes i think we can overreact.

For example if my 80 year old dad refers to someone as coloured then no i dont think its racist because the terminology is wrong.

Likewise the footballer (think it was ruddock but not sure) who tweeted that he couldn't wait to get a chinky when he got home, it doesn't make him racist, but big ron saying you ducking lazy n word, that's racist.

Im not sure mind what i could say by mistake to a gay footballer that would be offensive when not intended.

2 hours ago, jono said:

I've been taken to task for referring to a pal as a blouse or saying something is gay. I'm not being intentionally bigoted but I concede that I really ought to know better. Is it fair or warranted? Maybe, maybe not but it's never once made me think I should continue to use the offending terms or use them more often. That'd just be downright childish.

Folk from all sorts of causes can overstep the mark. We see it all the time. But just because some folk want to be dicks about things doesn't necessarily mean the point they are making is invalid, only that perhaps they could be making it in a more educational manner or at least in a way that's less confrontational. 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Looks like, as expected, to be a sham. The account’s gone, just like people who say the world is ending conveniently disappear when the stated date approaches. 

I was under the impression a couple of journalists have interviewed this footballer for stories to release, Jim White has also confirmed his identity is genuine has he not?

2 minutes ago, David said:

I was under the impression a couple of journalists have interviewed this footballer for stories to release, Jim White has also confirmed his identity is genuine has he not?

Yes, I’ve heard of Jim White, he’s deffo genuine, on sky sports  isn’t he with a yellow tie?

Twitter is a conduit for that annoying bloke from the pub in the 90's who nobody likes who's always chunttering in the background about something or other and thinks he knows everything and is ITK but really he's a virgin with no friends, probably

10 minutes ago, David said:

Jim White said he's been in correspondence with him. It's possible he could just have been trolled I suppose.

If it's a genuine footballer who has indeed changed his mind then he'll most likely be exposed anyway if he's spoken to people about it.

Shame really. I was hoping there would be a twist and there would be 100 simultaneous outings of players troughout the leagues. Needs to happen ASAP. Like yesterday, or like 10 years ago.

Archived