Gay Championship footballer to ‘come out’

cosmic

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I wasn't giving my opinion mate, just saying what will happen and why it will happen with some people. 

Some lads give banter and they go hard. There's always that bravado thing of someone saying something to go that extra cheeky mile. 

It won't reflect their beliefs necessarily. It might reflect their maturity. 

Anyone who's ever been one of the lads or played male team sports or been in environments like a building site where there is a 'lad' mentality will have been part of or seen it when Dave almost crosses the line to impress the lads. You know, maybe comment that touches a nerve and gets a "you can't say that" reaction. 

This is going to happen to any footballer that comes out. Like it or not. 

There's few places more accommodating to this kind of lad culture on this scale than football. 

Again, I'm not excusing it or condemning it. Just know that it won't be the odd knuckle dragging homophobic racist that says something. 

I appreciate that you’re predicting something rather than expressing an opinion.

I rip the piss out of various mates for being dyslexic, Indian, fat, virgins, etc. But that’s bexause we’re mates. But to go outside of that circle and, for example, call an Asian footballer the ‘P’ word crosses the line and is racist in my view.

You’re right though, it will happen. And it will be wrong.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

I know it's a young player, but there was a bit of me that always hoped the first player to come out as gay would be a properly no nonsense grizzle old defender or midfielder just for the "blimey, he's not effeminate at all and I am largely surprised" factor.

Haha! That would be good. 

Remember Tom Daly coming out. "I'm gay!".... er yes. We knew, Tom. We probably should have told you. Sorry.

You're basically throwing yourself in front of a bus and hoping it slams the brakes on. 

No way on earth will the twitter bus stop. It will run all over him. I hope he knows it and is prepared for it. If he's trying to be brave then this could really better him. If he's genuinely thick skinned and brave then he can be the umbrella for more gay players. 

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I appreciate that you’re predicting something rather than expressing an opinion.

I rip the piss out of various mates for being dyslexic, Indian, fat, virgins, etc. But that’s bexause we’re mates. But to go outside of that circle and, for example, call an Asian footballer the ‘P’ word crosses the line and is racist in my view.

You’re right though, it will happen. And it will be wrong.

Im Iranian and a virgin and I love the banter. And fully agree with you on your second point. I do wonder though, how many of the people who do hurl abuse at a football game realise the impact which its having ect?

1 minute ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Im Iranian and a virgin and I love the banter. And fully agree with you on your second point. I do wonder though, how many of the people who do hurl abuse at a football game realise the impact which its having ect?

Interesting point. I’ve obviously expressed my distaste for those who are racist or homophobic, but am I just as bad for calling an opposition player a fat bar steward? They haven’t asked for that abuse and I wouldn’t even dream of saying it to a stranger on the street. I probably won’t change my behaviour though.

I've thought about this a lot and have finally decided that I want to announce to the world that I'm a Championship football team supporter and I'm heterosexual. 

Am going to contact DCFC to see if it's going to be possible to reveal my identity on the scoreboard at half time during the first match.

Thanks all for your continued support.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Interesting point. I’ve obviously expressed my distaste for those who are racist or homophobic, but am I just as bad for calling an opposition player a fat bar steward? They haven’t asked for that abuse and I wouldn’t even dream of saying it to a stranger on the street. I probably won’t change my behaviour though.

image.thumb.png.cf03737b3b44dcc6d6657967760d1fa2.png

If it's not on the list, you're fair game. 

The womens teams are a lot more open about this kind of thing, so perhaps their example have encouraged him to open up about it. Good for him, but i cant see him avoiding abuse from some of the neanderthals that go to football games. If hes good enough to play internationally (or Champions League, etc) abuse is guaranteed in the time warp that is Eastern Europe.

Personally I dont care at all what he does with his personal life. If it helps other players that is fantastic, but i dont even remotely care about how he wants to live his life.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's a typical attitude of today.

People want equality for everyone...apart from the people that they dont want equality for.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've thought about this a lot and have finally decided that I want to announce to the world that I'm a Championship football team supporter and I'm heterosexual. 

Am going to contact DCFC to see if it's going to be possible to reveal my identity on the scoreboard at half time during the first match.

Thanks all for your continued support.

If you can’t see the difference then I do wonder.

I don’t want to go much further because it will no doubt breach forum rules.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Probably just making the point that they're only interested in the football, rather than who sleeps with who. 

There's some comments on Twitter saying that the account could even be fake...

I hope as a fan base we do not tolerate any homophobic behaviour. It's not easy to call people out at a football match when they're saying something they shouldn't, but it's the right thing to do. It's very easy to ignore inappropriate comments. 

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You do wonder what?

Why am I fair game for being abused for being fat or bald but someone else not fair game for it for whatever reason?

Theres no forum rules against logic as far as I'm aware.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

You do wonder what?

Why am I fair game for being abused for being fat or bald but someone else not fair game for it for whatever reason?

Because being fat or bald are not protected characteristics... You may as well be a ginger. Fair game.

1 minute ago, Nick_Ram said:

Probably just making the point that they're only interested in the football, rather than who sleeps with who. 

I hope as a fan base we do not tolerate any homophobic behaviour. It's not easy to call people out at a football match when they're saying something they shouldn't, but it's the right thing to do. It's very easy to ignore inappropriate comments. 

I wouldnt report someone at a football match for homophobia because I'd have no idea whether someone is homophobic just because they shout something at a football match.

I dont think everyone that shouts 'you fat bar steward at a goalkeeper' hates fat people or people without fathers so I wouldnt report them either.

If equality is the aim then all abuse at football matches should be outlawed.

6 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Of course it's fake, Twitter is fake, HITC is fake. Fake news. Put down the handbook and get off the bandwagon.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

I wouldnt report someone at a football match for homophobia because I'd have no idea whether someone is homophobic just because they shout something at a football match.

I dont think everyone that shouts 'you fat bar steward at a goalkeeper' hates fat people or people without fathers so I wouldnt report them either.

If equality is the aim then all abuse at football matches should be outlawed.

I take back my previous comments.

What DarkFruits said.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You do wonder what?

As far as I’m aware, being bald is not an offence that was punishable by death until 1968; a characteristic that prevented you from being married until 2014 or something that has led, and still does lead, to fears of being rejected by family, friends or society just for being born the way you are. And that’s in one of the most tolerant countries in the world, in the most liberal stage of its existence.

If you can’t see why being gay is different to being bald then yes, I do wonder. Perhaps about your cognitive abilities?

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

It might be something you want to celibate, but is there any chance we can have our bloody boat back?

It's ours now ?

And as for celibacy ...we all have our different paths. The boat just entered the wrong path lol

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As far as I’m aware, being bald is not an offence that was punishable by death until 1968; a characteristic that prevented you from being married until 2014 or something that has led, and still does lead, to fears of being rejected by family, friends or society just for being born the way you are. And that’s in one of the most tolerant countries in the world, in the most liberal stage of its existence.

If you can’t see why being gay is different to being bald then yes, I do wonder. Perhaps about your cognitive abilities?

Yes I can see the difference between being bald and being gay.

I cant see the difference in being abused by someone you dont know for something you can't change.

Actually I can see the difference, only one draws fake outrage from people who think it's great to be seen sticking up for groups that used to be discriminated against.

Archived