Gay Championship footballer to ‘come out’

cosmic

Anyone seen this? He’s been in conversations with his club on how to handle things, and just tweeted he plans to reveal his identity on the 24th July.

Brave lad, good on him. At 23 he’s at the start of his career, absolutely no shying away from things (and why should he). It’s going to be tough, there’s a lot of idiots out there, and football fans can be a special breed of idiot. Hope he gets the support he deserves.

Interesting side note is he’s asked a couple of young lads who are aspiring football journalists to interview him once he goes public. A Villa fan and Forest fan. Suggests the player may not be too far from home?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for him, I guess, if it's what he wants to do. I know it's been a theme around football for a while, and eventually someone was going to come out.

Less of a monkeys I would struggle to give, personally, although I suppose it's a social milestone of sorts.

If you play for Derby I don't care who you fancy, just that you play well. If you don't play for Derby, it won't even register with me.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I guarantee our fans would abuse a forest player if he came out gay

I hope not. But yeah i probably sadly agree with you.

If they do hope the club ban every single one 

He will get grief. A lot of it will be from people who aren't homophobic and barely care about him being gay at all. If you were in the news for crashing your car, sleeping with Jordan, having yourself cloned, stealing a cat.... anything, people will pick up on it and poke fun at you for it. 

It would likely be a lot of my mates. That's how we are. If you do anything, anything at all, then it's exaggerated and fired at you. 

But it will kind of snowball into a lot of hurtful things said to him and about him. 

It's just going to happen. 

I just hope he's as strong as he is brave. 

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He will get grief. A lot of it will be from people who aren't homophobic and barely care about him being gay at all. If you were in the news for crashing your car, sleeping with Jordan, having yourself cloned, stealing a cat.... anything, people will pick up on it and poke fun at you for it. 

It would likely be a lot of my mates. That's how we are. If you do anything, anything at all, then it's exaggerated and fired at you. 

But it will kind of snowball into a lot of hurtful things said to him and about him. 

Exactly

I get made fun of for not being able to date

I poked fun of my friend when his dog died (brutal , but "woof woof" made both of us laugh and helped with him grieving)

My friends gave another one of my friends stick for not having his dad around when he was young ("Whos your daddy", every time he loses a game of FIFA)

Its brutal, probably something the public would find digusting, but in our small circle of friends, its a way we get by. Is it a coping mechanism? Maybe but its bloody better than moping around feeling sorry for yourself

35 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He will get grief. A lot of it will be from people who aren't homophobic and barely care about him being gay at all.

Would you say people who throw bananas at black players aren't racist? 

I give as much stick to opposing players and fans as anyone at football games, but I'd never stray into insulting someone for their ethnicity or their sexuality. I certainly believe that there's a clear line when it comes to things like that, and shouting homophobic abuse at someone you don't know in front of thousands of people would cross it for me. There's a clear difference between doing that and calling your mate 'gay' for doing something slightly feminine. Or calling someone like Lee Tomlin a fat bar steward.

54 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I recognise the behaviour, every bloke over 30 will do, and probably most under 30. I reckon that's what they mean by toxic masculinity though.

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I give as much stick to opposing players and fans as anyone at football games, but I'd never stray into insulting someone for their ethnicity or their sexuality. I certainly believe that there's a clear line when it comes to things like that, and shouting homophobic abuse at someone you don't know in front of thousands of people would cross it for me. There's a clear difference between doing that and calling your mate 'gay' for doing something slightly feminine. Or calling someone like Lee Tomlin a fat bar steward.

It's a narrow distinction, but for the sake of conversation I'll put it out there...

To shout homophobic abuse at someone does not necessarily make someone a homophobe. It could be that the perp couldn't care less about sexuality, but just wants to upset and put off an opposition player. Sociopathic, maybe.

Tin hat on.

2 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

It's a narrow distinction, but for the sake of conversation I'll put it out there...

To shout homophobic abuse at someone does not necessarily make someone a homophobe. It could be that the perp couldn't care less about sexuality, but just wants to upset and put off an opposition player. Sociopathic, maybe.

Tin hat on.

I get your point but it is still homophobic. Not proud, but many years ago I shouted the N word at Viv Anderson even though I love my reggae (I know, I'm being ironic). I didn't think I was being racist but I was, even though I thought I was just 'putting him off'.

1 minute ago, Needlesh said:

Tin hat on.

I get where you and @Alpha are coming from. But, for me, someone is homophobic if they openly use someone’s sexuality as a stick to beat them with (unless they’re a mate who is happy to have it joked about), even if they personally couldn’t care less about that person being straight or gay. I appreciate that it creates the paradox of someone being homophobic without actually hating gay people, but that’s just how I feel. Maybe it falls outside the definition of homophobic but, whatever the term, I think it’s reprehensible behaviour. In some ways, someone who is prejudiced towards gay people but doesn’t let it affect their behaviour is less homophobic than the aforementioned vocal yet apathetic fan.

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I wasn't giving my opinion mate, just saying what will happen and why it will happen with some people. 

Some lads give banter and they go hard. There's always that bravado thing of someone saying something to go that extra cheeky mile. 

It won't reflect their beliefs necessarily. It might reflect their maturity. 

Anyone who's ever been one of the lads or played male team sports or been in environments like a building site where there is a 'lad' mentality will have been part of or seen it when Dave almost crosses the line to impress the lads. You know, maybe comment that touches a nerve and gets a "you can't say that" reaction. 

This is going to happen to any footballer that comes out. Like it or not. 

There's few places more accommodating to this kind of lad culture on this scale than football. 

Again, I'm not excusing it or condemning it. Just know that it won't be the odd knuckle dragging homophobic racist that says something. 

Archived