Where's Jack?

IslandExile

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think hes being sold.

Hes an asset for us who scores goals for fun and can reach the top level dependent on how bad he wants it.

If we play 4-3-3, Cocu likes a big and strong striker up top, we have Waghorn, Bennett and Martin for this role. Marriott is not suited to how Cocu is going to play. I know he scored 2 in his first game but with us needing money this season if a decent bid did come in would we turn it down?

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Going into the new season with no Marriott and no Holmes is worrying...

It's a long old season, we're traditionally slow starters anyway and will probably be even more so this year. Once we hit stride, as I'm sure we will, we just need to find that consistency we've lacked for some time now. That's the real key to a genuine assault on the autos.

Jack and Duane will have major roles this season I'm sure and with that in mind, won't be rushed back, least I hope not.

2 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Going into the new season with no Marriott and no Holmes is worrying...

Honestly I'm not super worried about Mariott being missing as I don't think he will be first choice. Holmes is a bigger concern but could provide an opportunity to someone like Sibley or Knight to really stake a claim. 

Overall though I don't think it's worth worrying over it too much because the championship season is really long and you can definately get away with a slow start.

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

I think hes being sold.

Hes an asset for us who scores goals for fun and can reach the top level dependent on how bad he wants it.

If we play 4-3-3, Cocu likes a big and strong striker up top, we have Waghorn, Bennett and Martin for this role. Marriott is not suited to how Cocu is going to play. I know he scored 2 in his first game but with us needing money this season if a decent bid did come in would we turn it down?

I don't think we do

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

No Marriott again on Sunday then, another chance for Martin late on in the game as a sub for Waghorn I would suspect. Everyone else still injured who has been out as well, been a lot of players who haven’t had a pre season which is a bit annoying.

In my opinion we’re  going in to this season very weak in terms of quality and quantity. I’m concerned by this, I know we have good young players coming through but the Alarm Bells are ringing. 

Hope I'm wrong of course and Cocu has a master plan for a good progressive season ahead ???? 

7 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

In my opinion we’re  going in to this season very weak in terms of quality and quantity. I’m concerned by this, I know we have good young players coming through but the Alarm Bells are ringing. 

Hope I'm wrong of course and Cocu has a master plan for a good progressive season ahead ???? 

I agree entirely. We’ve lost a lot of good players, and while we may have the numbers to replace them, in terms of quality they’re a long way back. With the squad as it is, we could be forced to use a lot of youngsters, many of which aren’t ready yet. Some are of course, and that’s great news and means we won’t need quite so many players, but we certainly do need a lot of transfers 8nbyet to replace the quality we’ve lost. It sounds like we’ll be getting some in, I just hope they’re good enough.

15 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

After last night, here are the minutes played by every player in pre-season (excluding added time)

GK: Mitchell (177), Roos (170), Ravas (28)
RB: Bateman (191), Bogle (184)
CB: Evans (199), Keogh (184), Davies (176), Buchanan (115)
LB: Lowe (191), Malone (184), MacDonald (76)
DM: Bird (191), Huddlestone (184), Thorne (45)
CM: Shinnie (152), Knight (146), Dowell (117), Sibley (55)
W: Whittaker (191), Bennett (185), Lawrence (184), Jozefzoon (184), Anya (146), Mitchell-Lawson (50)
CF: Martin (191), Waghorn (184), Marriott (45)

We're now on 28 players used and that excludes Carson, Wisdom, Forsyth, Butterfield or Holmes. Quantity we certainly have and in some areas we have the quality, in others we're lacking a depth of quality. Just under 2 weeks to go to address that.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree entirely. We’ve lost a lot of good players, and while we may have the numbers to replace them, in terms of quality they’re a long way back. With the squad as it is, we could be forced to use a lot of youngsters, many of which aren’t ready yet. Some are of course, and that’s great news and means we won’t need quite so many players, but we certainly do need a lot of transfers 8nbyet to replace the quality we’ve lost. It sounds like we’ll be getting some in, I just hope they’re good enough.

Have we though ? 

The players we've lost with more than 10 appearances last season are: Wilson, Tomori, Mount, Bryson, Johnson and Nugent. Shinnie replaces one of Bryson or Johnson, Dowell replaces Mount (you can argue about quality here but let's just hang on till the actual season to judge), Martin 'replaces' Nugent and its very possible one of three young midfielders proves to be an effective replacemeny in midfield. 

So whilst yes I'd say we are a down on last year I don't think it's as bad as its being made out to be. 2-3 signings and the whole picture looks radically different.

4 hours ago, Edtheram said:

I think hes being sold.

What would you consider a decent bid?

Archived