U23s v Alfreton Town

angieram

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DarkFruitsRam7, that is very true. It looked a real patched up side and some very young players in there up against a very physical Alfreton team. Literally boys against men and I thought they stood up to the test fairly well.  

We were sat right next to the dug out. Max Hunt came off with what looked like a real shiner to his eye.

Kellan Gordon was involved in a right battle with their number 17 and gave as good as he got. I would have sent their player off though! 

Darren Wassall was constantly giving Gordon grief from the touchline to get forward, get back and his language at times is x-rated but it was quite amusing! 

The number 9 trialist showed some deft touches and lay offs as well as winning the penalty (not a soft one this time!) Connor Dixon played very well second half after a quiet first half. I think we looked better after half time when Babos came on and that probably helped Dixon. Wassall also played better than Hunt, who surprisingly got roughed up and misplaced a few routine passes. 

I'm sure the under 23s will look better briefly when Cocu's squad is settled. I say briefly as some of the older players will undoubtedly be out on loan soon afterwards.

I am sure playing these sort of games is more beneficial than the under 23s league where the football is lovely but they learn little about the physical side of things.  Good workout yesterday.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

@DarkFruitsRam7, that is very true. It looked a real patched up side and some very young players in there up against a very physical Alfreton team. Literally boys against men and I thought they stood up to the test fairly well.  

We were sat right next to the dug out. Max Hunt came off with what looked like a real shiner to his eye.

Kellan Gordon was involved in a right battle with their number 17 and gave as good as he got. I would have sent their player off though! 

Darren Wassall was constantly giving Gordon grief from the touchline to get forward, get back and his language at times is x-rated but it was quite amusing! 

The number 9 trialist showed some deft touches and lay offs as well as winning the penalty (not a soft one this time!) Connor Dixon played very well second half after a quiet first half. I think we looked better after half time when Babos came on and that probably helped Dixon. Wassall also played better than Hunt, who surprisingly got roughed up and misplaced a few routine passes. 

I'm sure the under 23s will look better briefly when Cocu's squad is settled. I say briefly as some of the older players will undoubtedly be out on loan soon afterwards.

I am sure playing these sort of games is more beneficial than the under 23s league where the football is lovely but they learn little about the physical side of things.  Good workout yesterday.

Connor Dixon is a strange one, he's not outstanding technically compared to some of his teammates, yet I get the feeling he'll go a long way in the game.

I just can't quite put my finger on why I think that, just a feeling.

Archived