The master plan

With the comments about not buying players if it is likely to block an academy products route. Which position do you see us BUYING players?

I'll start

Gk- not sure.. roos not filling me with confidence, Mitchell had high hopes but nothing much come of it (if roos is ahead of him still after being an u21 GK it concerns me). Not seen enough in the academy 

Rb- not unless Bogle is sold but if he goes not seen enough to be convinced we have a second first team standard academy RB

Lb- no  I would hope one of Mcdonald or Lowe will make it

Cb- yes both Davies and Keogh are aging, I don't see both of Buchanan and hunt making it and that still leaves a shortage. 

Cm/am- no unless we need a big physical dm for our tactics, not seen anything who offers that. Plenty of technical, creative and energetic players going forward

Wg/wide forward- no

St- no and good first team options at the moment

So assuming no sales (bogle) I am saying a max of 2 permanent signings. Like the look of Walton for the gk and cb I've not seen anything inspiring yet unless Chelsea and lampard massively u turn on tomori. 

Get the debate about whether the kids are good enough now and more do we have options at some point coming through

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK: Roos with a full preseason as number one will do him good, not too fussed if we bring another in. 

Fullbacks: don't need to bring anyone in, more than enough senior players. Youngsters have looked good enough to step in too. 

CB: Tomori would be the dream, otherwise a cheap fee/cover loan would do. 

Midfield: don't need anyone. Youngsters are more than good enough, let them prove themselves. We can always go to the tried and tested Huddlestone. 

Strikers: more than enough, again there's youngsters ready to step into the fold. 

Wingers: would like to have seen more of the u23s in Pre season. If we're going to spend any substantial amounts it needs to be on a winger. 

23 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

GK: Roos with a full preseason as number one will do him good, not too fussed if we bring another in. 

Fullbacks: don't need to bring anyone in, more than enough senior players. Youngsters have looked good enough to step in too. 

CB: Tomori would be the dream, otherwise a cheap fee/cover loan would do. 

Midfield: don't need anyone. Youngsters are more than good enough, let them prove themselves. We can always go to the tried and tested Huddlestone. 

Strikers: more than enough, again there's youngsters ready to step into the fold. 

Wingers: would like to have seen more of the u23s in Pre season. If we're going to spend any substantial amounts it needs to be on a winger. 

Who have we got for midfield then? Hudders past it, Thorne not good enough anymore, dowell is the only recognised cm we have so we need at least 2 more CM, oh forgot Holmes is ok, Evans rubbish 

I would get a CB, GK and CM on a permanent. Both CBs ageing and only really got Shinnie and Holmes in CM as senior players that I’d like us to keep. So 3 good senior CMs with the likes of Sibley, knight and Bird filling in.

fill in with loans for the rest

11 minutes ago, TheRamsAreGoingUp said:

Who have we got for midfield then? Hudders past it, Thorne not good enough anymore, dowell is the only recognised cm we have so we need at least 2 more CM, oh forgot Holmes is ok, Evans rubbish 

Huddlestone Thorne Evans Shinnie Dowell Holmes Sibley Bird Knight so unless any more are sold or sent on loan we have 9 for 2/3 positions is more than enough

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Huddlestone Thorne Evans Shinnie Dowell Holmes Sibley Bird Knight so unless any more are sold or sent on loan we have 9 for 2/3 positions is more than enough

Dowell ans holmes only two decent CMs

Thorne is a crock, huddlestone is past it

Sibley Bird knight just youngsters cant be playing week in week out, unproven

19 minutes ago, TheRamsAreGoingUp said:

Bird, Sibley, Shinnie. No point loaning another teams youngsters when we had the best under 18s team in the country. 

18 minutes ago, TheRamsAreGoingUp said:

I think the only question mark is around a physical battler as I don't see one coming through the academy and there's doubts about huddlestones mobility and thornes injury record. Looks a lot like Evans is now being deployed as a cb. 

Dm/physical presence- first team: one of Thorne or huddlestone realistically. Possibly a signing who offers some longevity to the role

Remaining two places- dowell, holmes, shinnie plus sibley, bird, Knight. I think that's plenty for those two places whether it's a cm&am or two cms. 

1 minute ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I think the only question mark is around a physical battler as I don't see one coming through the academy and there's doubts about huddlestones mobility and thornes injury record. Looks a lot like Evans is now being deployed as a cb. 

Dm/physical presence- first team: one of Thorne or huddlestone realistically. Possibly a signing who offers some longevity to the role

Remaining two places- dowell, holmes, shinnie plus sibley, bird, Knight. I think that's plenty for those two places whether it's a cm&am or two cms. 

Yeah I agree fully with that I would rather have Huddlestone than Thorne 

We need a GK CB CDM Winger 

RB can have Bateman as cover as he has looked good during pre season

If the question is essentially "in what positions do we lack particularly talented youths", it's probably CB and, imo, GK. That's probably it. Although the defenders playing with the first team this summer have done quite well. 

Although after Bogle, our young RBs are pretty average- so I could forsee buying a RB to become our #2. 

Personally I don’t think it’ll be as simple as well only buy permanents who don’t block the academy route. It’s what was hinted at certainly, but it seems a little idealistic. Think it’ll be more a case if identifying what we need, and seeing which players are available in those positions on both perms and loans- and then decide based upon the quality of loan options available where to use our loan quota (well use the full amount allowed) and where to perm move. If we do go with the theoretical that we will go the route suggested mind (and also for the sake of simplicity no one leave, though that won’t be the case, and we play 433) then I’d say we have: Youths coming through underlined

Gk- Carson, Roos, Mitchell, Ravas- No perms here

RB- Bogle, Wisdom- No perms here

CB- Keogh, Davies, Buchanan  - 1 perm here

LB- Malone, Forsyth, Lowe, Macdonald - No perms here 

CDM- Huddlestone, Thorne, Evans, Bird- No perms here

CM- Shinnie, (butterfield), (Dowell), (Holmes), Sibley, Knight  - Really debatable as to where you see certain players fitting in, id say anything between 0-2 perms here.

Wing- Lawrence, Josefzoon, Bennett, Anya, Wilson, Mitchell-Lawson  - No perms here

ST- Marriott, Martin, Waghorn- no perms here

So if no one leave, probably only between 1-3 perms if we go with the sorta logic hinted at in the press conference. I still think it’ll be more assessing who’s ready though from the youth players, using them if they are, and bringing in players in their positions if they’re not. That could lead to more perms potentially.

A goalkeeper, Cover for Keogh and if we can find a right winger better than what we have happy days, oh and Tomiri back on a permanent obviously..

I'd controversially play Max Lowe instead of Lawrence on the left for the next friendly as he puts a better cross in, has more energy and he could also help Malone out in defence more. I think he'd excel in that role.

(Might be tempted to play Bogle on the right up front too if Wisdom can get fit again..)

3 minutes ago, HiltonoRama said:

A goalkeeper, Cover for Keogh and if we can find a right winger better than what we have happy days, oh and Tomiri back on a permanent obviously..

I'd controversially play Max Lowe instead of Lawrence on the left for the next friendly as he puts a better cross in, has more energy and he could also help Malone out in defence more. I think he'd excel in that role.

(Might be tempted to play Bogle on the right up front too if Wisdom can get fit again..)

Go home and don't drink anymore alcohol.

And i don't just mean tonight. Dont drink anymore alcohol ever. Like ever again. Ever

Archived