Who's going to be our unexpected success this season?

RamLad1884

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After yesterday's game I think Dowell could be huge for us this season. Him and Holmes and Shinnie as a dynamic midfield trio sounds promising. Cocu seems to like his midfield three to change roles fluently and against Burton it worked well. Hudds was good also and Lawrence in the middle worked well, so, with all the potential in the academy (and Evans as well unless he's a CD fulltime now), it doesn't look too bad in the middle. Thorne seems to be finished though, which is a bit sad and if Lawrence is a central midfielder in Cocu's eyes, we definately need a new winger or two.

7 minutes ago, RamDotFi said:

After yesterday's game I think Dowell could be huge for us this season. Him and Holmes and Shinnie as a dynamic midfield trio sounds promising. Cocu seems to like his midfield three to change roles fluently and against Burton it worked well. Hudds was good also and Lawrence in the middle worked well, so, with all the potential in the academy (and Evans as well unless he's a CD fulltime now), it doesn't look too bad in the middle. Thorne seems to be finished though, which is a bit sad and if Lawrence is a central midfielder in Cocu's eyes, we definately need a new winger or two.

I agree it could be a good cm trio but I dont see holmes playing a lot of games, too injury prone. Very good player but we shouldnt rely on him

Hard to say, but there must be a half dozen young lads champing at the bit to get a start, and I bet one of them end up playing 20+ games.

Of the older crew...I can hope for an Indian summer for big Tom, a return to fitness for Foz and a triumphant swansong for Chris Martin or GT.

My fiver goes on Sibley...love the aggression.

27 minutes ago, RamDotFi said:

Lawrence spent most of the game on the left wing, but switched with Bennett for a short period. 

Kyle McAllister - He has the skill and pace of Harry Wilson, but not his shooting ability from long-range. He will need a few games to gain confidence but if he is given the chance, he could be a useful substitute at the at the start of the season and then a first-team regular. 

There's a couple I have in mind that might surprise this season: 

1) Evans - I've got a sneaking suspicion with some of his performances at CB last season and him looking good in pre season that he might breakthrough at CB. 

2) Holmes- he started to really show flashes of real talent when he broke into the side towards the end of last season and I think he could really kick on this year. 

3) Sibley/Knight/Bird- I could really see it clicking for one or more of these guys this season and them breaking through. 

As for the flipside as a much I think he's a good player, I think Mariott will start far less than people expect and won't be first choice this season. 

Archived