So what do we expect this season

Curtains

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

To finish behind Leeds after today.

Nah, we'll do them. Leeds have a really really thin squad, and Bielsa's teams always start well and falter at the end. Their squad is weaker than last year, I don't think they have enough. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

In all honesty I wouldn't be happy with a mid table finish. I am expecting top 6.

Season of bringing through some youth, adding a few quality additions and getting a team identity. I'd be fine with mid table if we had a real go at it the following year

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

Season of bringing through some youth, adding a few quality additions and getting a team identity. I'd be fine with mid table if we had a real go at it the following year

I just feel we need to go forwards and build on last year's achievements. Yes we have lost 3 quality loans but have begun to replace them with some other young, proven footballers. We can't pick and choose when to do things and get promoted, you've got to give it a real go every year. I feel with cocu we have a more proven manager than last year and have what it takes to get into top 6. 

I'm going to say those dreaded words "transitional season".  I know that's been said for about the last 4 years, but I really think that this could be a bit of a different kind of season for us.  I'd like to think that we could be pushing for top six, the players we've bought in up to now seem to be class...however, if we were to finish just outside the playoffs I wouldn't be overly disappointed as long as the season has been used as a platform to push on next year - with the same manager! 

We have got to the play-offs four seasons out of six haven't we? We have gone from a rookie manager making some dodgy decisions to a managerial team with proven pedigree. This should not be a season of transition, it should be a season of aiming for top spot, if we can't do that then second, if we can't do that, then play-off places. Anything below that is a poor season unless we are hit with catastrophic injury problems. 

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I just feel we need to go forwards and build on last year's achievements. Yes we have lost 3 quality loans but have begun to replace them with some other young, proven footballers. We can't pick and choose when to do things and get promoted, you've got to give it a real go every year. I feel with cocu we have a more proven manager than last year and have what it takes to get into top 6. 

Do agree with that sentiment of have a serious crack every year

Im of the opinion that we were lucky to make playoffs last year though tbh,and there's not enough quality depth for when our inevitable jan/Feb blip hits there's not enough to shake it up a bit! Year of consolidation with cocu, then if we're not there next year... 

Think it's going to be a tough season.

Cocu's tactics are going to take some adjusting to, not to mention he has his own learning curve, and for that reason I expect it to be inconsistent with a couple of good patches.

A strong run after xmas and play offs might be possible, but realistically I'd just like to see things coming together ahead of a proper tilt next season.

23 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Im of the opinion that we were lucky to make playoffs last year though tbh

I see what you're saying. For me though we were just inconsistent. Played some brilliant football at times and could have tore apart any team but too often we looked pretty clueless. I think some of it was down to tactical natively and I'm hoping with cocu we can iron out those inconsistencies and push for promotion like the club should be. Not expecting to go up, just expecting to challenge.

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I see what you're saying. For me though we were just inconsistent. Played some brilliant football at times and could have tore apart any team but too often we looked pretty clueless. I think some of it was down to tactical natively and I'm hoping with cocu we can iron out those inconsistencies and push for promotion like the club should be. Not expecting to go up, just expecting to challenge.

I'd this Rooney thing happens then my expectations would with it tbh. A real statement if its true! 

On 01/08/2019 at 17:46, Ramleicester said:

And the reason why will become clear very soon. If it had of been there before now this would have happened a little sooner which may have improved pre season.

In any event it is very positive news 

Intrigued. Were you aware of the possibility of the Rooney deal or were you alluding to other, additional investment?

If Cocu gets the 2 players he’s after I wouldn’t rule out a sustained push for top 2 this year... hopefully we can be in and around for when Rooney comes in and his experience and goals can help us through the tough end of the season as we all expect after January. 

Under Cocu, we seem so much more organised as a club not just on the pitch, I noticed in the game on Monday we had Twan talking to Rosinior throughout the game, the team just seemed to know what to do tactically throughout the game without too much input from Cocu, when we started the game we were attacking taking risks playing 10 going forward and 11 coming back, then when we conceded the lads just all seemed to know that we don’t need to take any excess risks and the midfield and defence just kept forcing the Huddersfield wide leaving no gaps for them to open us up through the middle. Then in possession we kept the ball well and controlled the game we didn’t have to force it. What was impressive for me was that every single player knew what they were doing, no one looked out of place. 

If we add a couple more quality attacking players that pick up what Cocu is coaching them then I then I think we are set up for it this year 

On 19/07/2019 at 11:12, oldtimeram said:

Sadly, not a lot expected this season. The team is not good enough as it stands. 

Hate to say it but I think Florest may have a good chance of going up this season

The as it stands was correct at the time. 

To be honest, I  have put £60 on us to go up 

Archived