Price of kits

Chester40

This may have been discussed elsewhere recently and will definitely have been previously.... But I will vent and you can join it to another thread ? 

The price of the replica kit is scandalous for me. Basically £50 for a top I wouldn't wear anywhere other than at a match and is out of date in year. 

Even more so ...for my two kids to have a full kit it's the best part of £130?? I mean.... seriously? 

It's an investment in their future as it helps to convince them to follow the team.. in the face of City, Liverpool, Barca, Madrid, PSG kits....why not make them a cheap alternative that gets them following the team for life?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much say does the club have on the price? Most teams don't get a massive cut of the sale price especially at this level, so wouldn't have thought we could just willy nilly change the price to whatever we want.

I would say do a Bristol City and make your own kit, but theirs isn't really that much cheaper.

In either case there is no reason why you have to buy a new kit every year. Some people still wear kits from 20 + years ago. I imagine @loweman2 goes to games wearing the first shirt Derby we ever played in.

51 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

This may have been discussed elsewhere recently and will definitely have been previously.... But I will vent and you can join it to another thread ? 

The price of the replica kit is scandalous for me. Basically £50 for a top I wouldn't wear anywhere other than at a match and is out of date in year. 

Even more so ...for my two kids to have a full kit it's the best part of £130?? I mean.... seriously? 

It's an investment in their future as it helps to convince them to follow the team.. in the face of City, Liverpool, Barca, Madrid, PSG kits....why not make them a cheap alternative that gets them following the team for life?

Get them a tattoo, preferably in an easily seen place.

Similar cost, but ties them to us for eternity.

I’m sure the prices have gone up this year. Did have a bit of a moan about it...but will still be kitting the whole family out.

im also quite happy to wear my shirt pretty much anywhere and will keep wearing old ones  so long as they fit and are still in good nick.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I agree mate but I’ve mellowed over the last 2 or 3 years.

Sort of accept that the club has to make some cash and though I find 50 quid mad I don’t feel the club is being to rude compared to everyone else.

How old are your kids and who are their favourite players?

2 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

50 pnd is cheap compared to NRL gear over here. Your looking at $160.00 each. As well, all the money from gear sold is pooled and split evenly between all 16 clubs.

The price of stuff in Oz is rude mate,when we came I wanted a Roar shirt as a reminder but I’m just too tight,we had an extra day at Dreamworld instead?

4 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I agree mate but I’ve mellowed over the last 2 or 3 years.

Sort of accept that the club has to make some cash and though I find 50 quid mad I don’t feel the club is being to rude compared to everyone else.

How old are your kids and who are their favourite players?

Ronaldo and Messi...then Kane, Aguero, Salah, Neymar, Mbappe, Hazard, Firminho... it's the YouTube generation!

5 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

The price of stuff in Oz is rude mate,when we came I wanted a Roar shirt as a reminder but I’m just too tight,we had an extra day at Dreamworld instead?

I agree, now if only DCFC could be a bit more generous with their postage charges. They want 35pnd to send over a 50pnd kit! 

43 minutes ago, GenBr said:

How much say does the club have on the price? Most teams don't get a massive cut of the sale price especially at this level, so wouldn't have thought we could just willy nilly change the price to whatever we want.

I would say do a Bristol City and make your own kit, but theirs isn't really that much cheaper.

In either case there is no reason why you have to buy a new kit every year. Some people still wear kits from 20 + years ago. I imagine @loweman2 goes to games wearing the first shirt Derby we ever played in.

What is the clubs share of the selling price ? You seem to know quite a lot about this subject , please share. 

I work in fast fashion . Would value your inside information on this subject Genbr . 

Agree the price is extortionate but if you want The Mighty Rams to sign Harry Wilson on a permanent  for £12million plus add-ons then the money has to come from somewhere so we either stump up for the shirt or get our phones out and mess about with fruit..

They could be of much better quality though. I'm sure the manufacturing costs are very small compared to the selling price. 

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Well I still wear my original 1884 shorts to games.

As I'm only 5'7" people mistake them for long trousers.......?

I’d buy them if I couldn’t get designer t-shirts for cheaper, no question. 

Fair play, Umbro mix their designs up more than most manufacturers and have based kits this season off of retro kits, but I’d rather spend £50 on a Paul Smith t-shirt or something.

9 hours ago, BobbyD said:

What is the clubs share of the selling price ? You seem to know quite a lot about this subject , please share. 

I work in fast fashion . Would value your inside information on this subject Genbr . 

Obviously i dont know what the exact cut is for us, but the way it works for football shirts usually is that the manufacturer - ie Nike, Adidas, etc play the club a set fee, which is 10s of millions of pounds for Prem or top European clubs for the rights to make and sell the shirts. The clubs then get 10-20% of the selling price whilst the rest goes to the manufacturer. We'd likely still make a good chunk of money just not directly from shirt sales, which is why i dont think we'd have much wiggle room on shirt prices.

Then again Mel could have negotiated a completely different deal to everyone else, so the above may not even apply.

Archived