Worst football decision

dog

Obviously we've had a few of our own (Brian Vs Sam and the results of that), buying Ravenelli (and others).

I was wondering what others might see as being the worst decision made by a club. And its long term implications.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dog said:

Obviously we've had a few of our own (Brian Vs Sam and the results of that), buying Ravenelli (and others).

I was wondering what others might see as being the worst decision made by a club. And its long term implications.

Derby - easy, Tommy Docherty, greatness went to circus merry go round and mediocrity; ruined my childhood.

Others - Coventry City ownership change and stadium debacle. EFL or whatever it was called allowing Wimbledon to move to M.K, completely sacrificed the true Dons fans (whatever their small number, they deserved better).

PSG buying Neymar. Caused rapid inflation of transfer prices as a whole (they were already increasing but this transfer pushed the fees up dramatically as it more then doubled the previous transfer record), forcing barca to replace him,making them grossly overpay for Dembele, which then set the precedent. Damages the long term security of the global game, as we stray ever closer to the European Super League in order to fund the transfers. Accelerates the collapse of the transfer market as prices stray ever higher. Puts clubs in increased danger of insolvency as owners invest more and therefore risk more, and as FFP regulation becomes more stringent to stop these types of transfers, smaller clubs with smaller revenues suffer to a greater extent as a result as 1) the owners can't invest as much a the big clubs so the gap continues to increase and 2) If they fall fowl of the rules, they don't have the legal teams in order to fight the rules as Man City have, so will suffer greatly as a result.

Also, as a player he just isn't worth the hassle and is not fit consistently enough to properly contribute in the Champions League. Exceptional talent, that, I'd say, has had a negative effect on PSG as a whole over the past 2 years (though this is mainly due to the financial ramifications of the move)

Turning a blind eye to the obvious safety issues that were a part of overcrowded terraces that led to Hillsborough. It's not being an after timer, it was blatant but they chose to ignore it and as a result 96 people died. Sorry to throw a mood bomb on the thread but it is the answer.

After making my debut as a Rams fan on the day we received the (proper) division One Champions Trophy back in '75, and automatically assuming it will always be this good, my decision to make this a permanent relationship does occasionally leave me flummoxed... in hindsight!  

#notthebestgloryhunterintheworld

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Sacking Steve in Favour of Clement.

Sacking Steve in Favour of Rowett.

first sacking followed a run of W2 D6 L5 ending with a 3-0 defeat at home on the final day.  I can't argue with the decision to sack him and I was in favour of PC as most were.  From those 4 decisions I could only say that the appointment of PC was ultimately a terrible decision

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

first sacking followed a run of W2 D6 L5 ending with a 3-0 defeat at home on the final day.  I can't argue with the decision to sack him and I was in favour of PC as most were.  From those 4 decisions I could only say that the appointment of PC was ultimately a terrible decision

But, the Paul Clement one was in the wisdom of Hindsight, seemed a reasonable risk at the time, although I still think we shouldn't have sacked mcclaren, just waited for Newcastle to approach us (and be ready for when they did)

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But, the Paul Clement one was in the wisdom of Hindsight, seemed a reasonable risk at the time, although I still think we shouldn't have sacked mcclaren, just waited for Newcastle to approach us (and be ready for when they did)

I can vividly remember getting off a plane and reading (no pun) that score with shock.  I said to my wife that we should just sack him after that so the momentum was there at least in my mind.  I still think he continues to fail by losing motivation or energy.  Nothing that he has done since makes me wonder what we have missed

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

I can vividly remember getting off a plane and reading (no pun) that score with shock.  I said to my wife that we should just sack him after that so the momentum was there at least in my mind.  I still think he continues to fail by losing motivation or energy.  Nothing that he has done since makes me wonder what we have missed

Not arguing any of that, just should've let Newcastle take him and save the sacking cost

A bit off topic I suppose, but from our point of view, Maxwell not selling to Pickering the year before we went down. If Arthur Cox could have had the chance to build on that Saunders/Wright side, with Prem money coming in....

Archived