Championship – Bookies Odds/Predictions

desirelines

So the current betting odds has us as 8th in the rankings for odds as Winners of the Championship. Ahead of us are: Leeds, Fulham, Cardiff, West Brom, Boro, Stoke, and Brentford. Huddersfield, Bristol, and Forest just below us. 

Do we think this is a fair assumption of how the league will finish? Are you surprised to see Boro, Stoke, and Brentford ahead of us in the odds? Are Huddersfield the dark horses? Thoughts please guys! 

Disclaimer: this isn't a post meant to encourage betting (FWIW I loathe gambling). Just using the odds as a measure of 'informed' speculation on who will win the league. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our current squad is 8th standard. Need a keeper and a CB to be top 6 standard. Another creative or goalscoring CM and a winger to be in auto contention

BUT Id rather have a season of threading in top half of table with youth (e.g sibley, knight, mitchel-lawson) than panic signing average CC players for 2-3 million that we cant get rid of .

We were 9th last season (just before the season started), behind Stoke, Boro, WBA, Forest, Leeds, Swansea, Villa and Brentford. 5 of those 8 finished below us.

A load of baalocks it is. 

Also, no I don't think a newly relegated team (Huddersfield) are dark horses. Newly relegated teams have a huge advantage and should always be among the favourites.

The squad needs a bit of help, because at the moment we're relying on our youth team to fill in gaps. We've seen a high number of players leave, with only two coming in. 

If the season was to start today, with this squad and irrespective of January window, I would say: 
Top 2 Finish - Outstanding and unthinkable job done by Cocu & Co. 
Top 6 Finish - Very good job done by Cocu & Co. 
Top 12 Finish - Expected Finish.
13th-17th - Disappointing. 
18th-24th - We need a new manager. 

We need both quality and depth in key areas. If we can bring on the likes of Sibley, Mitchell-Lawson and whoever else to be a good player at this standard then it makes our life easier, but we can't bank on them. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Why haven't Brentford gone up?

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but my mate who's a Bees fan says that the recruitment is exemplary, but because of the size of the club there's constant pressure to sell their assets. I reckon if a club the size of Derby had got players like Mepham, Konza, Woods, Hogan, Gray, and Tarkowski, we might have had a better chance of holding onto them. All pure speculation of course! 

6 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but my mate who's a Bees fan says that the recruitment is exemplary, but because of the size of the club there's constant pressure to sell their assets. I reckon if a club the size of Derby had got players like Mepham, Konza, Woods, Hogan, Gray, and Tarkowski, we might have had a better chance of holding onto them. All pure speculation of course! 

Possibly, although I think it's difficult for a lot of clubs to turn down offers from the Premier League as players ultimately want to play there. 

Hogan was snapped up when Villa were throwing silly money about as well, try telling any player be it Brentford or Derby they can't leave and double their money. 

14 minutes ago, desirelines said:

The same way we were able to keep hold of Hughes, Hendrick, Vydra, etc..?

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

So the current betting odds has us as 8th in the rankings for odds as Winners of the Championship. Ahead of us are: Leeds, Fulham, Cardiff, West Brom, Boro, Stoke, and Brentford. Huddersfield, Bristol, and Forest just below us. 

Challengers this season for me are Leeds, Fulham and West Brom

Boro and us are a maybe

The Brizzle Sizzle I think will be around the top 6

Everyone else is pretty average

It’s about right, all the relegation teams have money and players who haven’t moved on ( maybe because nobody wants them) and the likes of stoke have purchased an entire new team again ( FFP candidates) and you can expect decent things from Bristol city and sadly maybe Leeds as well as the what ifs of Middlesbrough and WBA 

we are one of the what ifs 

Im not convinced Leeds will repeat last season. Of those mentioned i think Cardiff and Fulham should be the favourites to get autos. I think West Brom, Bristil and maybe Brentford will be playoffs and the rest will finish below wherever we finish. Boro and Forest to get relegated.

Archived