Apollo 11

jono

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Heard someone say on the radio today that’s it’s the only thing from the 20th century that’ll be remembered in the 30th century.

discuss? 

That's cobblers. I know for a fact they will still be talking about being champions of Europe in Nottingham.

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You think there will be a 30th Century?

That’s the real question ! Regardless of pollution, global warming, Nukes and nut jobs .. since I was born the world population has tripled. In theory population growth is exponential. Like the grains of rice on a chess board. 1-2-4-8 so by the time you get to the 64th square you can feed the world (or not as the case maybe) 

33 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

In that case, they would have forgotten two world wars, computers, the internet and snakebite and black. 

Well yes Andy but how many folk can talk with any knowledge about the lines of Torres Vedras or the Opium wars or steam engines or Louis Pasteur or Bell or Edison or Marie Curie.

It’s an interesting thought. When does history become “meh, whatever”

intersting that The Roman Law, the forum, Greek philosophy still have echoes, for me I am looking forward to knowing more about none western history, Chinese explorers from 1000 years or more ago made it to Australia and the Antarctic 

ooops I am going off on one .. love history and the development of humanity. But it has been so short in relative terms 

4 hours ago, Anon said:

Jumpers for heat shielding, isn't it? Wait, that was the soviet space program.

Mind you, the Fisher space pen story makes me laugh. They spent a pile of dosh and developed a pressurised ball point pen to work in zero G .. bingo ace genius .. on the other hand the Russians used pencils ?

10 minutes ago, jono said:

Mind you, the Fisher space pen story makes me laugh. They spent a pile of dosh and developed a pressurised ball point pen to work in zero G .. bingo ace genius .. on the other hand the Russians used pencils ?

Nobody used pencils in space. Shards of electrically conductive graphite breaking off would be potentially fatal. Give me the fancy pen every time.

38 minutes ago, jono said:

Well yes Andy but how many folk can talk with any knowledge about the lines of Torres Vedras or the Opium wars or steam engines or Louis Pasteur or Bell or Edison or Marie Curie.

It’s an interesting thought. When does history become “meh, whatever”

intersting that The Roman Law, the forum, Greek philosophy still have echoes, for me I am looking forward to knowing more about none western history, Chinese explorers from 1000 years or more ago made it to Australia and the Antarctic 

ooops I am going off on one .. love history and the development of humanity. But it has been so short in relative terms 

You may be right. I am just glad I won't be around to see it.

2 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

I’ve been waiting for this thread to come around. When Apollo 11 went to the moon I was five. It’s a cross I’ve had to bare for fifty years. The reason why is because my name is Neil Armstrong.

Least it’s not Lance mate, chin up.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Nobody used pencils in space. Shards of electrically conductive graphite breaking off would be potentially fatal. Give me the fancy pen every time.

No one hears you scream in space either ?

I was 8 at the time and we were taken from school across the road to a church were they had a tellie set up on the alter. I've been to the Parkes and Tidbinbilla dishes where they tracked the mission when it was over the southern hemisphere. There's a great scene in the movie The Dish were they leveled out the satellite dish and had a game of cricket in it while waiting.

2 hours ago, BarrowRam said:

I’ve been waiting for this thread to come around. When Apollo 11 went to the moon I was five. It’s a cross I’ve had to bare for fifty years. The reason why is because my name is Neil Armstrong.

I bet your Buzzing mate!

Great to see the thread (thanks @DarkFruitsRam7). Sometimes if giving talks I claim this is my earliest memory, but that's a bit of a stretch as I was only three. The whole Sagan family had gathered at my parents to see it and I'm told I was plucked from my bed and brought into the front room to watch those famous steps on our black and white telly. Do I remember it? Memory is a very difficult thing to pin down.

That said, I absolutely remember Apollo 13 which was only a year later, and wondering if the astronauts would make it back.

I've just written a book about the future that has a chapter on Space Travel and Colonization. Here's the opening, mentioning the stunning leaps forward in powered flight up until Apollo 11, and how we've regressed since.

Space_travel_introduction.thumb.jpg.ee0e2d575fb92ffcb29cf73656f4eb06.jpg

11 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

My uncle is called Michael Jackson.

Good name, that. I once met a man named Michael Jackson, and he changed my life.

For those of you who want to know a little about beer, this is a good place to start...

http://www.beerhunter.com/

19 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Michael Collins is an interesting one. Never got the same attention as the others, because he was the designated driver and got to just sit there orbiting the moon. Has a man ever been more alone than those moments when his craft went to the dark side of the moon and he lost contact with the entire human race?

Sounds like heaven to me.

He can claim to be the person who has been the furthest away from Earth but bloody Armstrong gets all the credit doesn't he.

I would be like "OI ARMSTRONG, NOOOOO!"

Archived