Apollo 11

jono

50 years ago today it blasted off. 

I don’t know what generation everyone is but for me as a 10 year kid old lover of fireball XL5, Stingray and Thunderbirds this was a truly epic moment. For a kid and for history 

In a sophisticated tin can on top of the biggest rocket in the world,With on board computer power slightly less than a Casio calculator they travelled 500,000 miles and were first to set foot on another celestial body.

We talk about legends and heroes . Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. 3 of mine. Cheers lads. 

yeah yeah . Conspiracy theories, yeah yeah old fashioned, but who in 100 years will remember some rapper millionaire with a weird name ? 

Moon landing. Magical, unique moment for science, technology, endeavour and bravery. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

@Carl Sagan, I presume you'd be interested in this thread.

Nah, he is only interested in science fact not science fiction ?

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Terrible parties. No atmosphere.

If you do get invited make sure you take a crater beer

Michael Collins is an interesting one. Never got the same attention as the others, because he was the designated driver and got to just sit there orbiting the moon. Has a man ever been more alone than those moments when his craft went to the dark side of the moon and he lost contact with the entire human race?

51 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Terrible parties. No atmosphere.

Loads of cheese though. I suspect it's Sage Derby.

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Watched it with me Dad a week short of me 10th birthday on a tiny black and white telly.

Awesome memory.

Was it your first taste of satellite TV?

3 hours ago, jono said:

yeah yeah . Conspiracy theories, yeah yeah old fashioned, but who in 100 years will remember some rapper millionaire with a weird name?

Heard someone say on the radio today that’s it’s the only thing from the 20th century that’ll be remembered in the 30th century.

discuss? 

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

spacer.png

I had just turned 10 and collected coins like these above that were given away when my parents used a Shell petrol station, anybody remember that campaign?

Found one in the back of a drawer a few years back.  Leonov and Belaev. First space walk I think. I never got the display board. My childhood ruined ?

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Heard someone say on the radio today that’s it’s the only thing from the 20th century that’ll be remembered in the 30th century.

discuss? 

Only because it was all faked up in the 20th Century’s film set.

Archived