Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EnigmaRam

Pre Season Friendly v Burton Albion (A)

David

Message added by David

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

The reason you play Marriott is answered in your post.

In the games that matter you cannot afford to miss those chances and Marriott wouldn't.

Its the third friendly of pre-season that we won 5-2 - missing a couple of chances here means jack ****. Bennett had some great interplay with the rest of our front line and so far Marriott has barely played in pre season to be able to show if he can do the same.

If Marriott plays a bit more in the remaining games and impresses more than Bennett then maybe I will change my mind, but until that point I will be sticking with Bennett.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Not for me. Bennett's played well so far even if he did miss a couple of open goals.

Jack Marriott is probably my favourite player, but I don't think I would immediately drop Bennett for him on this occasion.

You’d want Marriott in but as it stands Bennett is there on merit and JM is going have to get fit and come and earn it .

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Not for me. Bennett's played well so far even if he did miss a couple of open goals.

Jack Marriott is probably my favourite player, but I don't think I would immediately drop Bennett for him on this occasion.

He put one wide in Florida no?

Concerns me slightly as some games those chances are all you might get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Van Cone De Head said:

You’d want Marriott in but as it stands Bennett is there on merit and JM is going have to get fit and come and earn it .

Agreed. As I said previous Marriott is my favourite player, but I think it would be unfair to drop Bennett for that reason alone. The players who came on at the end today are going to get 75 mins in the next game, so if Marriott is fit by then perhaps he can prove he should be playing in the first 11 ahead of Bennett.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I reckon if you put Tomori and Mount in that side we’d take some beating.

I agree on Tomori, but until we've seen more of Dowell I'm not sure Mount would be much different, they seem to play similair roles and Dowell will probably thrive in the 'free roam' role. 

Share this post


Link to post

Very open game today, could have finished 10-4. Attacking 433 with Bennett in an attacking CM role. The ref let a lot go, especially pushes and obstructions. Many things haven't changed from last season

.Roos still flapping at crosses but a decent stop stopper, Bogle, neat on the ball but given a tough time by their LW. Malone was dangerous on the ball but gave a goal away by taking a risk. Josezfzoon can still be outmuscled by a Daddy Long Legs and Lawrence is mostly infuriating.  We are still going to play out from the keeper and again this will take a few games and goals conceded to get this right. 

Of the new things/players, Dowell looks quality on the ball and better defensively then Mount. Evans passing from CB shone. Bennett hasn't got good enough passing to play CM and our players have obviously been working on body shape in terms of turning into space as they receive the ball. The pace of passing looks quicker and Huddlestone seems to have a little more licence to accept the ball in more advanced areas.  

The team that started look around 4 players short of a top six team and 5 or 6 short of a top two team. So far we have been busier sehedding players rather than signing them so I would expect us to be 2 or 3 players stronger by Huddersfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Wasn’t really meant as a slight on Waghorn, just when a players impressing more in pre season then they perhaps deserve that chance from the start to show what they can do. Marriotts been better than Waghorn so far in pre season so deserves a shot imo, Waghorn will still get plenty of game time later in the game to make his mark. He’s still the first choice striker at the minute and I rate his play all round highly, but Marriott deserves a shot with the starting team for me.

I would be as well, but I’d be interested to see how he fares as I think he suits the 433 better and always looked impressive when I’ve seen him for the u23s- would be good to see if he can make the step up. I do expect dowell to start but I’m really not sure if him in a 433, he’d be better when (if) we switch to 4231 as the game progresses. Unless we start 4231 to surprise me in which case I’m talking balls as per. Think Huddlestones been one of our better players in pre season so should keep that CDM role, seems to suit the style this year more and I’d be surprised if he isn’t the starting man there across the season.

How we feeling this afternoon regarding Waggy’s pre-season form? 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, sage said:

Very open game today, could have finished 10-4. Attacking 433 with Bennett in an attacking CM role. The ref let a lot go, especially pushes and obstructions. Many things haven't changed from last season

.Roos still flapping at crosses but a decent stop stopper, Bogle, neat on the ball but given a tough time by their LW. Malone was dangerous on the ball but gave a goal away by taking a risk. Josezfzoon can still be outmuscled by a Daddy Long Legs and Lawrence is mostly infuriating.  We are still going to play out from the keeper and again this will take a few games and goals conceded to get this right. 

Of the new things/players, Dowell looks quality on the ball and better defensively then Mount. Evans passing from CB shone. Bennett hasn't got good enough passing to play CM and our players have obviously been working on body shape in terms of turning into space as they receive the ball. The pace of passing looks quicker and Huddlestone seems to have a little more licence to accept the ball in more advanced areas.  

The team that started look around 4 players short of a top six team and 5 or 6 short of a top two team. So far we have been busier sehedding players rather than signing them so I would expect us to be 2 or 3 players stronger by Huddersfield. 

I think you're spot on in regard to body shape when receiving the ball, seems like we'd always have a passing option upon getting the pass, and things looked so much quicker going forward as a result. 

Early days, but encouraging none the less.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I agree on Tomori, but until we've seen more of Dowell I'm not sure Mount would be much different, they seem to play similair roles and Dowell will probably thrive in the 'free roam' role. 

Yeh,Dowell was impressive.

Either,TL,Joz Or Bennett would have to make way for Mount or Wilson,like you say might unbalance it.

On that showing you probably wouldn’t want to change too much.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Yeh,Dowell was impressive.

Either,TL,Joz Or Bennett would have to make way for Mount or Wilson,like you say might unbalance it.

On that showing you probably wouldn’t want to change too much.

We all enjoyed today’s game, but pump your brakes a little bit. It was pre season, and it was Burton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ellafella said:

That said...Burton have been a real problem for us last 3 seasons and have usually made us look frumpy & ordinary. 

Absolutely. And today’s game was played with more intensity than you might expect pre season. It was a good watch. 

Just reminding that the likes of Tomori would certainly walk back in. The team today were all here last season, it’s still early days. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.