Sign in to follow this  
Nuwtfly

Steve Bruce

Couple of things of note here:

Bruce will stop at nothing to prove that he is a disgraceful individual. I don't buy the 'it's my dream to manage Newcastle' nonsense. He's turned them down - TWICE - and one of those times was to replace Bobby Robson under Freddie Shepherd when Newcastle were genuinely a top 4 contender. He then managed Sunderland and regularly slated Newcastle. I know that if my dream job came up I wouldn't turn it down twice, go and manage their most bitter rivals, talk them down massively and then take over when the club is in a far worse position that it was when you turned it down. Drivel. Let's say it for what it is - a bigger job in a higher league has come up and he is doing what he's done throughout his career and jumping at the chance. He's snaked his way out of job after job after job, pushing for a better opportunity with a larger pay packet.

The way he's treated Wednesday is also a bit of a joke, but the same goes for Mike Ashley (but are we surprised?). This was a guy who took the club with the best and most expensively assembled team in the division (Villa) to mid table and got sacked. His tactics (or lack of them) demonstrated that he is an outdated manager. I felt he did well to get a job at Wednesday and, especially, when you consider that they allowed him to join the club a month late so that he could carry on his jollies and watch the cricket in the West Indies. Now, after that, and after allowing him to go and target his own signings, he's jumped at the first opportunity.

Newcastle fans must be fuming. One minute you have Rafa Bentiez, truly a world class manager and you are "close" to a takeover and are "favourites" to sign Mbappe and others. Next minute you still have Mike Ashley who refuses to give Rafa a pay-rise, you pay £5million to hire Steve Bruce as your manager and you lose the only two players who score you any goals.

Bruce is done as a manager. He might just about get by at a mid table Championship club where he knows the division and can pull a few rabbits out of the hat. But at the highest level he is finished. The game has moved on so far from him. It's no longer a percentage game, it is so much more nuanced than that. With Bruce in charge, Newcastle will go down. Their squad is poor - I single handedly lay the credit for two mid-table finishes at Benitez's door. You take the two goalscorers and Rafa out of there and put Bruce in charge and they're nailed on to come down.

But Newcastle have completely disrespected Wednesday in their handling of this too. Mel Morris spoke eloquently about the desire of our club not to inflict what happened to us (a manager walking out in pre-season and disrupting our plans) on anybody else. And Wednesday are now in a worse position. Ashley seems to have given up trying to appease fans and seems to be becoming a parody of himself in making this appointment. At a time when he claims to be 'trying to sell the club', I would say that losing a world class manager, your only goalscorers and peeing off 99% of the fans, and then bringing in STEVE BRUCE, by far and away the least marketable manager imaginable, he's having a laugh.

Wednesday will struggle to appoint a top class manager. They are, I have to admit, a bit of a basket case at the moment anyway. Zola being the favourite demonstrates that they clearly have no idea what they are doing. But I can't see Hughton or anybody similar going there. No money, no real time to prepare and huge expectations under a sack happy manager. Completely different appointment to us as we were clearly on a high even with Lampard going.

Bruce is a massively dislikable character. I may not have realised it before, but it is possible to dislike him even more. This week proves that. I hope he gets everything that he deserves and I look forward to him being back on the merry go round in 5 months time. Merry Christmas from everybody down at the job centre, Steve.

22 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If this is true, and Mike Ashley has genuinely managed to get Steve Bruce to quit his job for no actual reason while he gets some other bloke in to get the job he thought he was getting, then that's actually so evil that I sort of respect it

5 minutes ago, JfR said:

If this is true, and Mike Ashley has genuinely managed to get Steve Bruce to quit his job for no actual reason while he gets some other bloke in to get the job he thought he was getting, then that's actually so evil that I sort of respect it

spacer.png

Get me Steve Bruce on the line......🤣

8 minutes ago, JfR said:

Surely not true but if it is its got to be the best comedy moment of 2019.

33 minutes ago, JfR said:

Who'd be liable for Bruce's compensation in that case? Bruce himself because he resigned? Or he just goes back in like nothing happened "morning everybody, looks like rain, eh? Anyone watch the cricket.... Why the stares?"

3 hours ago, TibshelfRam said:

But Newcastle have completely disrespected Wednesday in their handling of this too. Mel Morris spoke eloquently about the desire of our club not to inflict what happened to us (a manager walking out in pre-season and disrupting our plans) on anybody else. And Wednesday are now in a worse position. 

Agree on most of what you say apart from this bit. 

Simon Jordan was on radio this morning saying that Wednesday put a buy out clause in his contract and not only have Newcastle met it, theyve actually paid it. 

Newcastle have gone by the book. 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Oh please please please let this be true. 

Just to see the look on Bruce’s face. 

Be like a slapped arse. 

Literally.

20 hours ago, TibshelfRam said:

Couple of things of note here:

Bruce will stop at nothing to prove that he is a disgraceful individual. I don't buy the 'it's my dream to manage Newcastle' nonsense. He's turned them down - TWICE - and one of those times was to replace Bobby Robson under Freddie Shepherd when Newcastle were genuinely a top 4 contender. He then managed Sunderland and regularly slated Newcastle. I know that if my dream job came up I wouldn't turn it down twice, go and manage their most bitter rivals, talk them down massively and then take over when the club is in a far worse position that it was when you turned it down. Drivel. Let's say it for what it is - a bigger job in a higher league has come up and he is doing what he's done throughout his career and jumping at the chance. He's snaked his way out of job after job after job, pushing for a better opportunity with a larger pay packet.

The way he's treated Wednesday is also a bit of a joke, but the same goes for Mike Ashley (but are we surprised?). This was a guy who took the club with the best and most expensively assembled team in the division (Villa) to mid table and got sacked. His tactics (or lack of them) demonstrated that he is an outdated manager. I felt he did well to get a job at Wednesday and, especially, when you consider that they allowed him to join the club a month late so that he could carry on his jollies and watch the cricket in the West Indies. Now, after that, and after allowing him to go and target his own signings, he's jumped at the first opportunity.

Newcastle fans must be fuming. One minute you have Rafa Bentiez, truly a world class manager and you are "close" to a takeover and are "favourites" to sign Mbappe and others. Next minute you still have Mike Ashley who refuses to give Rafa a pay-rise, you pay £5million to hire Steve Bruce as your manager and you lose the only two players who score you any goals.

Bruce is done as a manager. He might just about get by at a mid table Championship club where he knows the division and can pull a few rabbits out of the hat. But at the highest level he is finished. The game has moved on so far from him. It's no longer a percentage game, it is so much more nuanced than that. With Bruce in charge, Newcastle will go down. Their squad is poor - I single handedly lay the credit for two mid-table finishes at Benitez's door. You take the two goalscorers and Rafa out of there and put Bruce in charge and they're nailed on to come down.

But Newcastle have completely disrespected Wednesday in their handling of this too. Mel Morris spoke eloquently about the desire of our club not to inflict what happened to us (a manager walking out in pre-season and disrupting our plans) on anybody else. And Wednesday are now in a worse position. Ashley seems to have given up trying to appease fans and seems to be becoming a parody of himself in making this appointment. At a time when he claims to be 'trying to sell the club', I would say that losing a world class manager, your only goalscorers and peeing off 99% of the fans, and then bringing in STEVE BRUCE, by far and away the least marketable manager imaginable, he's having a laugh.

Wednesday will struggle to appoint a top class manager. They are, I have to admit, a bit of a basket case at the moment anyway. Zola being the favourite demonstrates that they clearly have no idea what they are doing. But I can't see Hughton or anybody similar going there. No money, no real time to prepare and huge expectations under a sack happy manager. Completely different appointment to us as we were clearly on a high even with Lampard going.

Bruce is a massively dislikable character. I may not have realised it before, but it is possible to dislike him even more. This week proves that. I hope he gets everything that he deserves and I look forward to him being back on the merry go round in 5 months time. Merry Christmas from everybody down at the job centre, Steve.

Don't beat around the bush Tibs, tell us what you really think 🤣

TBF, I agree with it all.  In regards to Ashley, I reckon he was infatuated with a Geordie lass when he was in his teens, he woo-ed her with flowers, poetry, and expensive meals, at the poshest restaurants in town, but she blew him out for a knuckle-dragging Newcastle fan because he looked a little like Simon LeBon.  And he's never recovered.  Why else would he go out of his way to make the most maddening decisions regarding the club.  Every.  Single.  Time...

17 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Agree on most of what you say apart from this bit. 

Simon Jordan was on radio this morning saying that Wednesday put a buy out clause in his contract and not only have Newcastle met it, theyve actually paid it. 

Newcastle have gone by the book. 

That's not really my point. I don't dispute that Newcastle have gone by the book - I'm not suggesting that they've not paid the compo in full. It was more in relation  to what I said in comparison to Mel Morris' talksport interview...

Mel openly said that after we were left in the lurch with our plans completely disrupted so close to the start of the season, he wouldn't dream of doing that to another club.

I get that football is football and so all is fair. But Newcastle have completely left Wednesday in the lurch - compensation or no compensation. I can't begrudge them too much but I am not sure that the time delay was necessary. In this instance, I'm talking about compensation about being irrelevant, as much as anything, its a reflection on how glad I am that Mel is principled.

And what gets me most, is that this was all avoidable. Like, don't get me wrong, I am all on board with clubs raiding another club for a world class manager. But when they want STEVE BRUCE, I mean, STEVE BRUCE, I would wager that it was pretty avoidable. I mean, you're not telling me that he is worth it. They could easily have made an out of work appointment of just as high a quality. STEVE BRUCE!