Fire power coming season looking good

B4ev6is

Just now, B4ev6is said:

I think preasure of martin and thorn which means I think see best of them but I think see martin and Bennett sharing number 10 role behind the strikers.

I think we are more likely to see Marriott as the #10 behind Martin, if Martin gets used.

The key to Martin's style is that as he receives the ball, players bomb past him and he can play them in behind the defenders, who have moved up to press Martin. It's much less effective if our players are already further up the field, as they'll have the defenders with them.

And as Cocu says, Marriott has a brilliant eye for making a good run, so it could be the perfect role for him too - you'd imagine he'd get multiple one-on-ones a game.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A think Knight might be the surprise package this season. Both Lampard and Cocu trying to bring him in. Does simple things well. Old head on young shoulders. All the very best players were very capable of playing above their age group. 

Just now, Rampage said:

A think Knight might be the surprise package this season. Both Lampard and Cocu trying to bring him in. Does simple things well. Old head on young shoulders. All the very best players were very capable of playing above their age group. 

I think a lot of our youngsters, given a decent run in the side, could supplant our first teamers. 

They could also not.

If this was Football Manager I'd put them all in to hell with the consequences! I doubt Cocu is as blasé ? 

11 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think preasure of martin and thorn which means I think see best of them but I think see martin and Bennett sharing number 10 role behind the strikers.

We have a lot of very good Championship players. We need a very good start and to click early on with squad players knowing exactly what to do when called upon. We have some tough opponents early on so we will have a good idea after 8 to 10 games.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think a lot of our youngsters, given a decent run in the side, could supplant our first teamers. 

They could also not.

If this was Football Manager I'd put them all in to hell with the consequences! I doubt Cocu is as blasé ? 

Which three U23 and U18 players do you think have the best chance of being in the team regularly by the end of the season, SR?

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Which three U23 and U18 players do you think have the best chance of being in the team regularly by the end of the season, SR?

Oooft. Well, discounting Bird who's already in the first team squad, that's still tough because I think there are 5 or 6 with equal chance but I'll plump for...

MacDonald, Sibley & Mitchell-Lawson

Knight, Cresswell and Whittaker are the others in my mind, but they're the ones I can see doing big things but also see amounting to nothing, so I guess that makes it less likely?

I actually think there's a good chance MacDonald is starting regularly before October.

EDIT: Last season I only got one player right out of the three (Bogle, Lowe, Elsnik); so expect similar results.

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

But also we have Holmes do we use him as a attacking winger or a midfiled player.

Suspect, looking how at how Cocu has tended to set up historically, that Holmes is exactly the kind of player he likes in a midfield 3 - high energy box to box player capable of creating and carrying the ball but also of doing some of the dirty work. Comparisons are, by and large, futile. But hey, its Monday and I'm doing all I can to avoid work, so I'll be a hypocrite. But my feeling is that Holmes will play the 'Wijnaldum' role that Cocu had in his best PSV side - box to box in a midfield 3 alongside a central ball winning player (possibly Shinnie) and a creative player (possibly Dowell).

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Oooft. Well, discounting Bird who's already in the first team squad, that's still tough because I think there are 5 or 6 with equal chance but I'll plump for...

MacDonald, Sibley & Mitchell-Lawson

Knight, Cresswell and Whittaker are the others in my mind, but they're the ones I can see doing big things but also see amounting to nothing, so I guess that makes it less likely?

I actually think there's a good chance MacDonald is starting regularly before October.

EDIT: Last season I only got one player right out of the three (Bogle, Lowe, Elsnik); so expect similar results.

How obvious was Bogle? I know Davies thought Bogle was a first team standard player

8 minutes ago, Rampage said:

How obvious was Bogle? I know Davies thought Bogle was a first team standard player

I got chastised by folk for putting him in my strongest XI last summer! But aye, with competition for the spot being Wisdom it was a pretty safe bet for folks who'd seen him.

I honestly think MacDonald's the best LB at the club, now, although I've not seen Lowe properly for a long time.

One thing in Knight's favour is our lack of CMs at the moment - he'll probably enter my top 3 if we don't bring in another CM. Our lack of wide depth is the main reason Mitchell-Lawson is in, more likely he'll get a chance, and then his pace and fearlessness could really do work against some Championship fullbacks.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I got chastised by folk for putting him in my strongest XI last summer! But aye, with competition for the spot being Wisdom it was a pretty safe bet for folks who'd seen him.

I honestly think MacDonald's the best LB at the club, now, although I've not seen Lowe properly for a long time.

One thing in Knight's favour is our lack of CMs at the moment - he'll probably enter my top 3 if we don't bring in another CM. Our lack of wide depth is the main reason Mitchell-Lawson is in, his pace and fearlessness could really do work against some Championship fullbacks.

Who the young players are trying to replace is the key do another way of assessing them is to sort out the eleven spots and see where the youngsters are in the pecking order. S lefto who is a potential second choice because of present incumbent's lack of form or injury? Left back, Right back, versatile midfielder and both wings are potentially up for grabs for an outstanding young player. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We can see huge improvement in Mason; it’s intriguing that Cocu had him in the 10 role..and made that comment about how Mason needs to learn to manage his explosive power...ie when to use the rocket booster. If Mason learns to coordinate with say, Chris Martin, we could see Mason really banging in some Worldies this year. He has that capability...he just has to believe he can do it. I can see him scoring 12-15 goals if he can stay injury-free. Remember the progress that Dean Sturridge made in 3 seasons? From loan at Torquay to unplayable at Highbury? It can be done. 

I was thinking the same about Bennett and the sturiddge comparison myself as he is very capable of going on a very good goal scoring run.

looking at it sensibly in my opinion and given no injuries and fair selection I would expect

Bennett to get at least 8 - 10 goals

martin 10-12 goals

Waghorn 10-12 goals

Marriott 12-15 goals  

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I was thinking the same about Bennett and the sturiddge comparison myself as he is very capable of going on a very good goal scoring run.

looking at it sensibly in my opinion and given no injuries and fair selection I would expect

Bennett to get at least 8 - 10 goals

martin 10-12 goals

Waghorn 10-12 goals

Marriott 12-15 goals  

Don’t disagree with that potential...the next key issue is the service from midfield and the players who can deliver strategic forward passes...Holmes? Lawrence, Shinnie? Bird? Dowell? Others? 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Don’t disagree with that potential...the next key issue is the service from midfield and the players who can deliver strategic forward passes...Holmes? Lawrence, Shinnie? Bird? Dowell? Others? 

Yep, hopefully Shinnie can be better than we hope and do a variety of jobs and Dowell should contribute on the goal scoring and forward passing front whilst Lawrence is like a box of chocolates and there is room for someone to emerge in central midfield hopefully 

Archived