Nick Blackman - Signed for Maccabi Tel Aviv

RoyMac5

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

At the time it was billed as 100% Clement. Clement had apparently worked with him before at Blackburn, and asked for him specifically.

Yeah he has I think when coaching there so it makes sense to be his idea. Will have still had to be cleared by the recruitment team I’d think though, so there’s multiple people to blame.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah he has I think when coaching there so it makes sense to be his idea. Will have still had to be cleared by the recruitment team I’d think though, so there’s multiple people to blame.

Why does there have to be some others to blame?

The owner backed Clement, obviously wanting to give his manager the tools to do the job as he saw fit at the time - no different to when he backed Lampard by buying the likes of Marriott. Just that Clement, despite his previous record, proved and has gone on to re-confirm that he isn't cut out to be a front-line manager.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Mel is a genius. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Blackman, Johnson and Butterfield were on the retained list. Two of them are gone and the impact on FFP has been reduced thanks to the extensions. Only Butterfield left to go and Mel's plan has come off.

If his plan was to have a capital outlay of c£13m, and pay an annual wage outlay of say £3.5m x 3-4 years, and get very little in the way of any meaningful performance return, and then let them go for free at the end, that to me would seem to be testing the boundaries of the definition of genius just a little.

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

If his plan was to have a capital outlay of c£13m, and pay an annual wage outlay of say £3.5m x 3-4 years, and get very little in the way of any meaningful performance return, and then let them go for free at the end, that to me would seem to be testing the boundaries of the definition of genius just a little.

The plan was to get promotion, finances were very much secondary so it’s very much a ‘make do and mend’ but we haven’t fell foul of FFP sanctions and have raised our profile sufficiently to attract / afford the likes of Frank and Cocu. Exciting times and for me, Mel is learning the role and doing a good job. 

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Disastrous signing basically 

Even the best of them made poor signings. Bebe, Djemba Djemba, Kléberson. Almost £20m right there.

We're just a bit new to this money spending so not used to seeing money trickle down the drain. It happens. A lot.

Bet you a few more clubs would chime in with their horror signings that make Nick Blackman's fee look like change from down the sofa.

Archived