Villa splashing the cash

hintonsboots

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

It will never, ever be broken

Both Fulham and Huddersfield looked close last season. Huddersfield only managed to beat it by 5 points and that's after having a full season of Premier League money behind them. They even managed records that even we don't have - they are joint with Sunderland for most Prem home defeats in a season and joint with Man CIty for fewest Prem goals scored at home in a season.

I personally think its only a matter of time before its broken and I believe Brighton, Shef Utd, Norwich and Newcastle will all give it a good go next year.

1 hour ago, David said:

Never been a believer it's a record that will never be broken, just waiting for the right club and circumstances to come along, this could be our year.

First part, you're right. It's completely irrational to say it can never be broken because it only takes one draw fewer.

No chance will it be this season though. Chris Wilder is an excellent manager and I don't see their squad being much weaker than Cardiff's last season.

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Both Fulham and Huddersfield looked close last season. Huddersfield only managed to beat it by 5 points and that's after having a full season of Premier League money behind them. They even managed records that even we don't have - they are joint with Sunderland for most Prem home defeats in a season and joint with Man CIty for fewest Prem goals scored at home in a season.

I personally think its only a matter of time before its broken and I believe Brighton, Shef Utd, Norwich and Newcastle will all give it a good go next year.

I think part of the problem is that there's multiple teams that you could see not doing very well this year. All those you've listed might well end up being rubbish, but they'll all inevitably end up taking points off each other and raising their totals. Fulham and Huddersfield, for example, both got 3 points on their totals by beating each other once because they were roughly equally poor. I don't think the record will be broken until there comes another season where there's a singular team that is far worse than the rest of the teams.

2 minutes ago, JfR said:

I think part of the problem is that there's multiple teams that you could see not doing very well this year. All those you've listed might well end up being rubbish, but they'll all inevitably end up taking points off each other and raising their totals. Fulham and Huddersfield, for example, both got 3 points on their totals by beating each other once because they were roughly equally poor. I don't think the record will be broken until there comes another season where there's a singular team that is far worse than the rest of the teams.

You could do it with 2 poor teams.

Norwich and Sheffield United, home team wins that's 3pts each, fail to beat anyone else and pick up 7 draws. 

Sounds terrible but that's what it takes and entirely possible.

Whilst I think Norwich will come back down, for some reason I don't see them being as terrible as Sheff United. Gut feeling, but then my guts are dodgy at the minute so it could be that.

I think it probably requires total organisational failure as well as a crap, unsettled squad and awful management.

We had all the stars align for the worst season, but not many teams have managed all three (in)competencies since us. Only Villa and Sunderland if I recall properly really got as bad as we were, and even then their squads were more talented.

Cardiff? Crap squad, crap organisation... canny manager.

Newcastle could be capable of it, but their squad still looks good and Bruce is surely clever enough to bag a few points. Norwich have a better squad, a good manager and seem to be well run.

Wilder seems to be a very good manager with a largely settled squad... even if it is crap. So you'd think they will bag enough, unless they get silly and sack him or something.

The more they spend, the more pressure they will bring upon themselves. You can't spend 130m and not expect to be under pressure when they start losing games. They didn't need that many players, I can see a lot of unrest at villa. 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

This new player sounds absolutely marvellous that they’ve bought... 

Theyre gonna easily survive next season imo. Too many good players in their squad now. Shows what you can do with prem money, they’ve done a good job in the transfer market.

Points knocked off for most obvious pun ever. 

Are they going to make him captain marvel(ous)?

• 3 weeks later...

So Villa have started off with two defeats from two.

Surely a reality check for the fans who thought they were going to storm the top 10 like Wolves.

Mind you, long way to go yet.

It’ll be interesting to see where they are after 10 games.

They have 5-6 big games coming up - Everton, West Ham, Brighton, Burnley at home, and Palace and Norwich away - which you would expect to set the tone for the season.

If it all goes wrong, the meltdown will be hilarious - ‘£120m spent and we can’t even beat Burnley at home!’

On 26/07/2019 at 13:48, GenBr said:

None of those team will get less than 25 points, all far too good to even get in the teens never mind less than 11 points.

Archived