Villa splashing the cash

hintonsboots

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't understand the reason for all the bile being spewed over the cash Villa are spending, I don't have any affinity for the club whatsoever but if you look closer to home we've tried a similar strategy which ultimately failed leading us to have to circumnavigate the FFP rules and avoid potential sanctions by selling our own football ground.

I can’t see this being another Fulham situation, Id be surprised if Villa ended up like that. Dean smith is too good a manager to let that happen. I actually think villa could surprise a few people this season. Their new signing Wesley has started off well

51 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I can’t see this being another Fulham situation, Id be surprised if Villa ended up like that. Dean smith is too good a manager to let that happen. I actually think villa could surprise a few people this season. Their new signing Wesley has started off well

On 12 July 2019 at 21:09, RamNut said:

I think he'll do well. He's a bit of a talent.

On 13 July 2019 at 10:57, RamNut said:

They might surprise a few people.

Agreed. 

What a contrast between wembley winners and losers.

8 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Nakamba 11m, surely they need to stop soon. I would be worried if it was us doing this, too many players all at once doesn't end well.

Sam Allardyce on TalkSport nailed it yesterday. 

You can say what you want about Big Sam and his style, but he knows what he's on about and he said it's far too much too soon. He also mentioned that clubs will often spout rubbish to players in order to get them to move, i.e. you'll have a team built round you and you're an important piece in the team. It doesn't take long, if they don't start, for some players to really kick up a stink.

Lansbury has been impressing in pre-season, showing he's still got a bit, but will be lucky to make their 25 man squad at this rate. 

11 players signed and £120m spent - I’d definitely be excited if I were a Villa fan. They can’t say the owners aren’t having a go. But I would have my feet on the ground, for sure. Cautious optimism.

Integrating 11 new signings during one pre season, achieving the right balance, forming an identity, helping players settle, managing expectations of players old and new - it is not an easy task.

On paper, what Villa are doing is exciting. But in reality, it’s a huge gamble. They are banking on what is essentially an inexperienced and new group of players to come together, blend well, and handle the step up. There are so many question marks.

Now this could be a good thing. They could come up and catch teams cold with the ’unknown quantity’ factor, and players could raise their game knowing they have to prove themselves.

Initially I think that could be the case. They might come flying out of the blocks in the first 10 games. But what happens when they lose? What happens when they get a reality check? Will they have the spirit, the experience, the leadership, the tenacity, the humility, the togetherness to bounce back?

I just find Villa to be a bit flimsy personally. I am not sure they have the cojones in that squad for a dogfight.

But time will tell.

Signed 10, 3 of which were on loan last season Al Ghazi, Hause and Mings who wouldn’t need integrating.

7 new faces shouldn’t prove to be too much of a problem, you would think they are about finished now.

They are guaranteed at least £100m just for finishing the season, financially not a huge risk. Doesn’t pay off they have the parachute payments again which they are not afraid to spend as we’ve seen before.

I think they will be alright, difficult season in and around the bottom 6 but they’ll stay up.

I would be more excited as a Villa fan than a Sheffield United fan, can see that 11pt record being contested this year.

Not sure if the off the field disputes has impacted but I would be hugely concerned with what lies ahead.

1 hour ago, David said:

Signed 10, 3 of which were on loan last season Al Ghazi, Hause and Mings who wouldn’t need integrating.

7 new faces shouldn’t prove to be too much of a problem, you would think they are about finished now.

They are guaranteed at least £100m just for finishing the season, financially not a huge risk. Doesn’t pay off they have the parachute payments again which they are not afraid to spend as we’ve seen before.

I think they will be alright, difficult season in and around the bottom 6 but they’ll stay up.

I would be more excited as a Villa fan than a Sheffield United fan, can see that 11pt record being contested this year.

Not sure if the off the field disputes has impacted but I would be hugely concerned with what lies ahead.

Sheff Utd have Chris Wilder. They will be as competitive as any of the promoted teams. Pep will be taking notes when he sees Chris Basham pop up back post in a 1-0 loss at Brammall Lane. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Sheff Utd have Chris Wilder. They will be as competitive as any of the promoted teams. Pep will be taking notes when he sees Chris Basham pop up back post in a 1-0 loss at Brammall Lane. 

I did consider that as he's done a great job down over there, I just think that this is one of those as far as he can take them moments. Would be interesting to see what he could do with better players at his disposal, bit of cash to play with.

Right now it looks like they are simply strengthening for next season in the Championship, Callum Robinson, Luke Freeman, Ben Osborn now, not sure even our fans would be happy with those 3 whilst in the Championship.

27 minutes ago, David said:

I did consider that as he's done a great job down over there, I just think that this is one of those as far as he can take them moments. Would be interesting to see what he could do with better players at his disposal, bit of cash to play with.

Right now it looks like they are simply strengthening for next season in the Championship, Callum Robinson, Luke Freeman, Ben Osborn now, not sure even our fans would be happy with those 3 whilst in the Championship.

No, certainly can agree with you there. He's spent decent money on them, though, plus £10m+ on Mousset. I know he's not been afforded the same as Villa, but he could have spent it better. 

Not sure on the quality level of some of these players they are bringing in , but best of luck to them.

On 25/07/2019 at 07:34, Tyler Durden said:

Can't understand the reason for all the bile being spewed over the cash Villa are spending, I don't have any affinity for the club whatsoever but if you look closer to home we've tried a similar strategy which ultimately failed leading us to have to circumnavigate the FFP rules and avoid potential sanctions by selling our own football ground.

Not bothered about them spending money they have earned from their promotion. Seems a bit risky, but it doesn't seem to be overly affecting Fulham who went straight back down. We tried to do a similar thing, but it wasnt exactly a level playing field - Villas wage bill alone was more than all the money we spent since Nigel Clough was here and I haven't even included the money we received from player sales in that.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

Well done, you've got in before the season's even started......

Feeling confident, Huddersfield gave it a go but in the end they were just too good. 

Never been a believer it's a record that will never be broken, just waiting for the right club and circumstances to come along, this could be our year.

The money Villa have laid out in transfer fees isn't the issue - that will be covered by their share of the tv monies. If they don't survive this first season and come straight back down then, even with parachute payments, the millstone around their necks is going to be the hefty new contracts for the next 3-4 years they will have just entered into. Buy 2 or 3 players of real quality to add to an already decent squad would have made more sense then review their position in January.

1 minute ago, David said:

Feeling confident, Huddersfield gave it a go but in the end they were just too good. 

Never been a believer it's a record that will never be broken, just waiting for the right club and circumstances to come along, this could be our year.

It will never, ever be broken

Archived