Sign in to follow this  
hintonsboots

Villa splashing the cash

Posted (edited)

Looks like the whinging Brummies are putting a decent squad together, although nearly all their signings are unproven in the Premiership ( think Targett is a good move ). Do we think their current £80-90 million plus wages will guarantee them Survival or will they do a Fulham ?

Edited by hintonsboots

7 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Looks like the whinging Brummies are putting a decent squad together, although nearly all their signings are unproven in the Premiership ( think Targett is a good move ). Do we think their current £80-90 million plus wages will guarantee them Survival or will they do a Fulham ?

It’s hard to say.

They are building a very young and potentially very exciting side, but a side that will seemingly lack a bit of steel, a bit of edge, a bit of nous, a bit of experience.

They could go either way really. As it stands, I would say they are more likely to be this year’s Fulham than this year’s Wolves.

For them to do well, their new striker Wesley will have to be a revelation and I reckon they need one experienced pro to bind everything together.

But it’s always tough to call with the promoted sides because you just don’t ever know how well some players will handle the step up.

What a difference winning the play-off final makes! Villa are spending money like it has gone out of fashion! I can't believe they managed to get promoted with breaching FFP rules and would be interested to establish when the breach of FFP will be determined.

I think they have a chance of not being Fulham. I think the league looks a bit worse than last season, minus Cardiff.

Sheff Utd aren't making good signings and seem to have internal issues, so I think it may be a bridge too far.

Newcastle look really bleak, it would be an absolute coup if Steve Bruce keeps them up. One defeat and their fans will be booing and boycotting every match.

Brighton and Palace both look like they could have the bottom go out of them if they aren't careful. Brighton's signings have been poor, while Zaha if he goes removes a huge chunk of Palaces production.

Plus Norwich will be fighting too probably.

So there are six teams potentially down there... all you have to do is be in the top half of that mini league. Wish we had gone up, good season to do it.

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

History will repeat itself there, haven’t learnt from their last scrape with HMRC. 

They’re gonna piss the premier league cash up the wall and be in a state all over again. 

Villa are spending about 100 million quid to replace many of the players who got them promoted. Not a great incentive if you are a fringe player.

3 hours ago, Rampage said:

Villa are spending about 100 million quid to replace many of the players who got them promoted. Not a great incentive if you are a fringe player.

Thought they'd be dusting off Ross mccormack and Angela.....🤣

I suppose the good thing for them is they are buying young good players which should retain if not increase in value generally. Whereas Fulham bought a right load of crap, old players unlikely to go up in value.

Even if Villa got relegated they would still have a young hungry squad that wouldn’t all want to bail.

the only thing I don’t get is how many centre backs do they need? Isn’t it 4 new ones they’ve bought now?

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I suppose the good thing for them is they are buying young good players which should retain if not increase in value generally. Whereas Fulham bought a right load of crap, old players unlikely to go up in value.

Even if Villa got relegated they would still have a young hungry squad that wouldn’t all want to bail.

the only thing I don’t get is how many centre backs do they need? Isn’t it 4 new ones they’ve bought now?

They’re probably trying their fried and trusted technique of buying everyone else’s transfer targets, whether they need them or not. We’ll see how that goes for them in the Orem when they get in a bidding war with Man City. 

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

For them to do well, their new striker Wesley will have to be a revelation

I think he'll do well. He's a bit of a talent.

9 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Did they really buy four centrebacks? If so, maybe Chester is available? 

Mings, Hause and Konsa.

Mings and Hause were at Villa last season on loan.

With Chester they have 4 at the club which is about right so unlikely he would be available, also their captain.

They’ve spent £100mil to create a good championship side. Not a premier league side. 

It looks like they’re preparing for the 2020/21 season back in the championship. 

Just now, tinman said:

They’ve spent £100mil to create a good championship side. Not a premier league side. 

It looks like they’re preparing for the 2020/21 season back in the championship. 

That’s cos they e been here just long enough to realise it’s a lot more fun being a big fish in a little pond, occasionally thrashing Rotherham, rather than being thrashed by Man City. 

45 minutes ago, tinman said:

They might surprise a few people.

I don 't think Villa will do a Fulham. For me Newcastle are nailed on for bottom place at the moment. I'm not convinced how well Shef Utd or Norwich are going to do either with their budgets.

22 hours ago, Harrowram said:

What a difference winning the play-off final makes! Villa are spending money like it has gone out of fashion! I can't believe they managed to get promoted with breaching FFP rules and would be interested to establish when the breach of FFP will be determined.

They only avoided breaching FFP by copying us and selling the stadium. The EFL wanted them to have a points deduction if they had breached it, but the Premier League were reluctant to do such a thing.

15 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Thought they'd be dusting off Ross mccormack and Angela.....🤣

Lansbury got a massive pay rise when they got promoted to the Prem and he barely played for them. He was on £40k per week in the Championship...

I thank Villa every day for making sure McCormack and Lansbury didnt end up with us after we were reported to be interested.