Jump to content
Ghost of Clough

Academy Thread 19/20

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

His lad is 8/9 so not quite ready for the u23 team just yet. Whether he is in one of the younger age groups I couldn’t say. Last time I saw him play he was 5 and looked way off what was required for first team football! 😃

Yeah, but even at 5 he was taller than Big Duncan Holmes wasn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
On 07/03/2020 at 14:28, Saffy van der Ram said:

Festy Ebosele won a penalty, then scored it. Festy’s ace and definitely one to watch. He sometimes plays in the U23s, but he’s only 17.

I went to that U19 game against the Icelanders .. he caught my eye too. Fast, powerful. 
 

looking at where we seem to be at the moment I reckon the academy spending has been beneficial beyond any normal measure. How many current first team squad are our own products ? With more knocking on the door .. sensational, and more to come by the looks of things. I don’t know why but I find this so much more exciting than a 5 million signing from wherever. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, jono said:

I went to that U19 game against the Icelanders .. he caught my eye too. Fast, powerful. 
 

looking at where we seem to be at the moment I reckon the academy spending has been beneficial beyond any normal measure. How many current first team squad are our own products ? With more knocking on the door .. sensational, and more to come by the looks of things. I don’t know why but I find this so much more exciting than a 5 million signing from wherever. 

Bogle, Lowe, Buchanan, Huddlestone, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker, Bennett, Mitchell-Lawson are those to have played this season. Ravas has also been on the bench. I don’t count Roos or Mitchell as academy products. 

Share this post


Link to post

It'll be interesting to see the churn this summer.

I think Wassall could potentially attract some interest from lower league teams as a first team contender, wouldn't be amazed if he ended up at Burton as a squad player.

It's a tricky balance between keeping enough players to field a competitive squad, and not hindering players who probably won't make the grade at this level, but could have a pro career elsewhere.

Tough gig, whoever makes the decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It'll be interesting to see the churn this summer.

I think Wassall could potentially attract some interest from lower league teams as a first team contender, wouldn't be amazed if he ended up at Burton as a squad player.

It's a tricky balance between keeping enough players to field a competitive squad, and not hindering players who probably won't make the grade at this level, but could have a pro career elsewhere.

Tough gig, whoever makes the decisions.

His dad!

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It'll be interesting to see the churn this summer.

I think Wassall could potentially attract some interest from lower league teams as a first team contender, wouldn't be amazed if he ended up at Burton as a squad player.

It's a tricky balance between keeping enough players to field a competitive squad, and not hindering players who probably won't make the grade at this level, but could have a pro career elsewhere.

Tough gig, whoever makes the decisions.

There’s a few at the sort of age where they need to be playing first team football - Ravas, Barnes, Yates, Wassall, Bateman, Babos, JML, Shonibare, Cresswell, Trialist. But we can’t let all of those go out as we’d struggle to field a first 11 never mind have subs on the bench. Difficult balancing act for Wassall Sr 

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There’s a few at the sort of age where they need to be playing first team football - Ravas, Barnes, Yates, Wassall, Bateman, Babos, JML, Shonibare, Cresswell, Trialist. But we can’t let all of those go out as we’d struggle to field a first 11 never mind have subs on the bench. Difficult balancing act for Wassall Sr 

Yeah but there are some amongst them that could be 'later developers'. As I said I reckon Trialist could aim to be another Wardrobe. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/03/2020 at 22:32, EalingRam said:

JML coming off to a standing ovation for Bristol Rovers against Sunderland tonight. Really growing into first team football. 

Always saw sending out our youth players on loan as the final nail in the coffin in terms of their career at Derby. But looking at how well Max Lowe did at Aberdeen last season and where he is now, I’m excited to see what happens with JML. 

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Always saw sending out our youth players on loan as the final nail in the coffin in terms of their career at Derby. But looking at how well Max Lowe did at Aberdeen last season and where he is now, I’m excited to see what happens with JML. 

Maybe it's not the final nail but final test. Sink or swim.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Maybe it's not the final nail but final test. Sink or swim.

Maybe, but there's only really Max Lowe and Babos (although still nowhere near first team and his loan was to Spain) I can think of that's come back and stayed. Max Hunt, Max Elsnik, Charles Vernam, Callum Guy, Farrend Rawson etc etc all went.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Maybe, but there's only really Max Lowe and Babos (although still nowhere near first team and his loan was to Spain) I can think of that's come back and stayed. Max Hunt, Max Elsnik, Charles Vernam, Callum Guy, Farrend Rawson etc etc all went.

Roos and Bennett have both been on a few loans then later played for the first team on a fairly consistent basis. Mitchell has been out a few times. You can included Martin (and to a lesser degree Bryson) if not talking specifically about academy players.

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone tried the current quiz on the official website to name the 22 academy players to make their debuts for the first team since 2010? After a couple of goes I got up to 20 but had to look up the other two it was doing my head in.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rustylee said:

Has anyone tried the current quiz on the official website to name the 22 academy players to make their debuts for the first team since 2010? After a couple of goes I got up to 20 but had to look up the other two it was doing my head in.

Yes, I was the same. Missed two goalkeepers,  one I had never heard of but know the other well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
On 09/04/2020 at 00:39, singaporeram said:


Rushian Hepburn-Murphy channeling the accuracy of some Derby ‘great’ strikers from the past. (....not really knocking him...he’s been great for the 23s)

What exactly did he think was going to happen when kicking a ball at a building which appears to be more glass than brick? 😆

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.