Sign in to follow this  
dog

Sciatica

Always kept myself fit and well but managed to tweak my back stepping around someone on a plane.

Than it got worse.

Last night was rushed to the local hospital as it had got to the stage where I was sweating with pain and couldn't walk.

Currently dosed up in downtown Nairobi waiting for the doctor. Initial diagnosis is sciatica. 

Anyone else have it? Advice on how to handle it?

53 minutes ago, dog said:

Always kept myself fit and well but managed to tweak my back stepping around someone on a plane.

Than it got worse.

Last night was rushed to the local hospital as it had got to the stage where I was sweating with pain and couldn't walk.

Currently dosed up in downtown Nairobi waiting for the doctor. Initial diagnosis is sciatica. 

Anyone else have it? Advice on how to handle it?

I get it. It started when my kids were young lifting them in and out of car seats. 

I found there are some exercises you can do and I avoid lifting things now.

Yep. been there! Keep mobile, Naproxen for the pain (you might need something to control the side effects as it's harsh on the stomach) and Deep Freeze packs (like Deep Heat only cold!). Be sure to drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day too.

There are some stretches you can do to relieve pain as aswell. Links for treatments and stretches below.

Once you are on the mend you can start exercises designed to prevent any further recurrence. The pain will diminish slowly once you start healing so stay patient as best you can.

Depending on the severity of the damage you could be in discomfort for anything up to 6 weeks though 2 to 3 is more common. The first week or two are by far the worst in any case and it may not even last that long if the damage to your sciatic nerve is minimal.

Fingers crossed you're on the mend very soon mate.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/naproxen/

https://www.firstaid.co.uk/cold-therapy/cold-sprays/deep-freeze-cold-patch-pack-of-4/?SKU=M6477&vat=INC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr6T6jdip4wIViLbtCh0mXgqpEAQYAiABEgKVXvD_BwE

https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches

Spot on Mr B. Just spent the afternoon being physically assaulted by a bone popper

Slipped disc diagnosis 

Mentioned the other things to alleviate it posted above and pigeon stance is highly rated

If anyone else works/travels in Kenya make sure that you have up to date insurance. Mine looks fine but guy across from me injured in a hit and run (by a lorry) not so lucky

I was diagnosed with it back in May. Felt like i'd never get better at the time but was pretty much gone within a month.

Back running again now but with actual rest days now! 

Was also on Naproxen, Dihydracodeine and a stomach settler.

On 10/07/2019 at 16:19, dog said:

Spot on Mr B. Just spent the afternoon being physically assaulted by a bone popper

Slipped disc diagnosis 

Mentioned the other things to alleviate it posted above and pigeon stance is highly rated

If anyone else works/travels in Kenya make sure that you have up to date insurance. Mine looks fine but guy across from me injured in a hit and run (by a lorry) not so lucky

Next patient please. 😋