Kieran Dowell - Loan terminated; sent to Wigan

BagRam

18 hours ago, KCG said:

I think I'll wait and see him play a few games for us before developing an opinion.

Where's the fun in that?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just checking a post I made after the Derby v Forest game end of 2017 - basically Dowell ripped us to shreds time & time again and only a fantastic defensive display and very efficient finishing got us a slightly fortunate win.

He's technically very good, likes running with the ball, scores plenty from outside the area and is very decent at set pieces. Its true he's no Roy Keane but I don't care so long as he can retain possession & presses when out of possession along with the team. Basically see him as a cross between Harry Wilson & Mason Mount and he will be earmarked to play the role Mount played last season.

Very good loan signing, look forward to seeing him play in a Derby shirt. 

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Let's get Cattermole in then see what those advocating more physicality say.

Not sure why anyone would want cattermole.

That said physicality and technical ability aren’t mutually exclusive. I think a powerful and trechnically decent CM who can take hold of a game and give us a good base to build off it’s a pretty big requirement in this division (not so much in the Prem) we’ve not had a player like that since Thorne in his pomp!

Hopefully Shinnie can give us some of that although I get the feeling he’s more in the Bryson role.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I was just checking a post I made after the Derby v Forest game end of 2017 - basically Dowell ripped us to shreds time & time again and only a fantastic defensive display and very efficient finishing got us a slightly fortunate win.

He's technically very good, likes running with the ball, scores plenty from outside the area and is very decent at set pieces. Its true he's no Roy Keane but I don't care so long as he can retain possession & presses when out of possession along with the team. Basically see him as a cross between Harry Wilson & Mason Mount and he will be earmarked to play the role Mount played last season.

Very good loan signing, look forward to seeing him play in a Derby shirt. 

Hopefully he’ll help fill the void that Wilson leaves.

44 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Not sure why anyone would want cattermole.

That said physicality and technical ability aren’t mutually exclusive. I think a powerful and trechnically decent CM who can take hold of a game and give us a good base to build off it’s a pretty big requirement in this division (not so much in the Prem) we’ve not had a player like that since Thorne in his pomp!

Hopefully Shinnie can give us some of that although I get the feeling he’s more in the Bryson role.

Got chatting with an Aberdeen fan at the cricket a few weeks back & the impression he gave me was that Shinnie was basically a mobile Bradley Johnson - tenacious & gets everywhere (He also said he was OK in the air but a good passer of the ball so different to Johnson in some respects)

It would appear from his previous teams that Cocu doesn't play with an explicit DCM but if Dowell and Holmes are the other midfield starters, it may be a good call Shinnie patrolling in front of the back 4 rather than having an outwardly interchangeable midfield 3.

51 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Got chatting with an Aberdeen fan at the cricket a few weeks back & the impression he gave me was that Shinnie was basically a mobile Bradley Johnson - tenacious & gets everywhere (He also said he was OK in the air but a good passer of the ball so different to Johnson in some respects)

It would appear from his previous teams that Cocu doesn't play with an explicit DCM but if Dowell and Holmes are the other midfield starters, it may be a good call Shinnie patrolling in front of the back 4 rather than having an outwardly interchangeable midfield 3.

Interesting......I’ve seen a few highlights but I don’t know much about him other than what I’ve read on here. Hope he can fill that shielding role for us with and add a bit of bite and drive that we need.

One thing we may miss though is Bradders ariel presence he won quite a lot in the middle of the park and even if he didn’t win the ball he would do enough to cause problems for the opposition. It helped gain territory as well as possession. I think we’re going to miss some of the dirty work that bradders got through

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Interesting......I’ve seen a few highlights but I don’t know much about him other than what I’ve read on here. Hope he can fill that shielding role for us with and add a bit of bite and drive that we need.

One thing we may miss though is Bradders ariel presence he won quite a lot in the middle of the park and even if he didn’t win the ball he would do enough to cause problems for the opposition. It helped gain territory as well as possession. I think we’re going to miss some of the dirty work that bradders got through

I was never a Johnson fan but I totally agree with you - he was vital to our late season surge & I do like the idea of us having at least one midfielder who is able to mix it & compete for the ball. That all said, its harder to go to ground these days so pressuring players is a very modern way of turning possession over - I saw Holmes win a lot of ball last year, no reason why the others can't too. Aerially we'll probably be a bit weak next season in midfield unless we sign an out & out DCM, which I can't see given Cocu's previous teams.

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I was never a Johnson fan but I totally agree with you - he was vital to our late season surge & I do like the idea of us having at least one midfielder who is able to mix it & compete for the ball. That all said, its harder to go to ground these days so pressuring players is a very modern way of turning possession over - I saw Holmes win a lot of ball last year, no reason why the others can't too. Aerially we'll probably be a bit weak next season in midfield unless we sign an out & out DCM, which I can't see given Cocu's previous teams.

Agreed. I quite liked Johnson but mainly because he gave us something that the others in the squad didnt, his job was effectively to allow the likes of Mount, Holmes and Wilson to play their game without having to hold back too much.

You know what the answer is................a time machine to return to 2014 and save George Thorne from the nightmare he’s about to embark upon!

Now there was a defensive midfielder, presence, power, control, creativity and defensive protection all rolled into one!

• 5 months later...

Well he’s barely featuring at all at the moment, I’m sure Everton loaned him out with the intention of him playing regularly for us. He’s not gonna get that here because he’s bank, so wouldn’t be surprised at all (at in fact would be relieved) if Everton recalled him. Not working out at all, they’ll look to find him another championship loan at a team stupid enough to think he’s any good.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Great news. He's utter dross. The single worst loanee we've ever had.

Certainly one of the worst (although should have been apparent that he was not going to improve us having been loaned out for a third time to a championship side), cannot imagine he will make it very far after his current contract expires bearing in mind he cannot head a ball, cannot tackle, has no work ethic and no pace.

4 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Sure I read their is no recall, and we have him for the season

He can still be recalled in January if us, Everton and Dowell all agree upon terminating the loan deal. Seeing as he's hardly getting a look in here, I don't think it would be a surprise at all to see that happen and him join someone else for the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Great news. He's utter dross. The single worst loanee we've ever had.

Everybody has an opinion and yes he’s crap but if he’s the worst loanee you’ve seen at Derby you cannot have been going long. We’ve had much worse in my opinion 

Archived