New “head of academy coaching”

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we now have the following, just for the academy. Mel is taking this very seriously.

Academy Director - Darren Wassall

Head of Academy Coaching - Mike Scott

Senior Professional Development Phase Coach - Pat Lyons

Assistant Senior Professional Development Phase Coach - Craig Short

Professional Development Phase Coach - Justin Walker

37 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

Their academy has produced one lad ( Louie Barry) who’s about to sign for Barcelona and another ( Morgan Rogers) who Man City are signing so they obviously know what they’re doing there!?

Yeah, losing their star products for peanuts.

What the hell is a head of academy coaching... Sounds very much like Wassalls job but he’s still here. And there’s no indication of him leaving. Very odd, wonder where that leaves him, the two working together or is Wassall actually off to Chelsea? This sounds like a done deal so I guess we’ll see when it’s made official.

Im sure Mel knows what he’s doing with the academy mind, so however he wants his staff set up is ok by me- hope the new guy does a good job... whatever that job is.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

What the hell is a head of academy coaching... Sounds very much like Wassalls job but he’s still here. And there’s no indication of him leaving. Very odd, wonder where that leaves him, the two working together or is Wassall actually off to Chelsea? This sounds like a done deal so I guess we’ll see when it’s made official.

Im sure Mel knows what he’s doing with the academy mind, so however he wants his staff set up is ok by me- hope the new guy does a good job... whatever that job is.

Sounds like part of Wassall’s job - just the coaching side of it. Probably a way to step back from the coaching and focus on the rest of his role as Academy Director. Alternatively, he may be assisting with the first team with coaching or recruitment. 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Whose idea would this be. Is it a new post, an extra body. Has someone.lost a job. Confused a little.

Didn't we lose Delap as part of the Rowett changes, and then never replaced him? They've probably decided to restructure the academy a bit and if this guy knows his stuff it could be very good news. Nothing wrong with a bit of a shake up and new ideas

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sounds like part of Wassall’s job - just the coaching side of it. Probably a way to step back from the coaching and focus on the rest of his role as Academy Director. Alternatively, he may be assisting with the first team with coaching or recruitment. 

This is what I had the initial thought of...at most clubs your sort of “head of youth development”, with is effectively wassalls job, handles the day to day running of the academy only. Not managing any youth teams. Maybe that’s what we’re reverting to, this “head coach” becomes u23 manager and Wassall handles other duties. Tbh I think I’d prefer things that way, that way Wassall can focus on linking youngsters with the first team more.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The consulting Englishman in Cocu's team to help him out?

Archived