Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RoyMac5

Pre Season Friendly v Bristol City

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

That's really disappointing and in marked contrast to the bond between players and supporters that existed last season.

Do you think it indicates an unhappy team spirit, orders of the management, fear of lightning strikes, young players who don't yet understand who will pay for their baby Bentleys - or - plain and simple, we miss the man that is David Nugent?

GIF by Top Gear

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

That's really disappointing and in marked contrast to the bond between players and supporters that existed last season.

Do you think it indicates an unhappy team spirit, orders of the management, fear of lightning strikes, young players who don't yet understand who will pay for their baby Bentleys - or - plain and simple, we miss the man that is David Nugent?

I wouldn’t read to much into that, they might have been told to go to a warm down area or something. Keogh has always been good like that 

Share this post


Link to post

I imagine it didn't even occur to them, with it being a quiet preseason friendly

I'm sure we all agree it would have been good of them considering some people travelled a long way, but maybe they just forgot. I think it's that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I imagine it didn't even occur to them, with it being a quiet preseason friendly

I'm sure we all agree it would have been good of them considering some people travelled a long way, but maybe they just forgot. I think it's that simple.

I’m sure that is the case. No blame intended but if last season showed anything at all, it demonstrated that a reciprocal bond between the fans and the players brings mutual rewards; at times last season that extra bit of support that the sense of togetherness engendered, translated into victories which may not have otherwise occurred. The bond doesn’t just happen ...it needs to be nurtured and developed and is something that could be led by the supporter liaison office. I suspect that Phillip Cocu is more of an introvert than that Frank bloke so maybe it’s down to Keogh to make sure players follow his lead at every away game at least. Serious point. 

Btw I was astounded and surprised in a good way to see the level of support in Florida. Cocu remarked on it too. Simply wonderful that people travelled and sad that the lightening forced a premature end. But what wonderful fans. 

Edited by Ellafella

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Good link up play from Martin, although from @MuespachRam 's description I was expecting the pass into him to almost break his ankle 😄 

Thanks for your descriptions by the way, Muespach - kind of you.

IS it me or does Martin start to celebrate before that actually goes in !!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

IS it me or does Martin start to celebrate before that actually goes in !!

It's you. He is frustrated as he didn't get the ball back, just managed to save it continuing the movement to celebration.

https://giphy.com/gifs/hyperrpg-hyper-rpg-l378wqwVUDf8d0HOE
 

Edited by Dimmu
gif which doesn't embed :/

Share this post


Link to post

Think it was more like Martin was  just about to complain as he was free for a pass. To be fair, he did have some space in front of him where he could have been picked out with a pass, but it was more likely he could have thrown himself to the ground for a pen lol.

Share this post


Link to post

Best thing about those highlights is that after, it auto played cheating Leeds playing on against Villa and then that banker Jansson trying to prevent Villa scoring from the kick off with all his team mates moaning at him. I'd forgotten how joyful that was. No doubt led to his exit to Brentford. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Best thing about those highlights is that after, it auto played cheating Leeds playing on against Villa and then that banker Jansson trying to prevent Villa scoring from the kick off with all his team mates moaning at him. I'd forgotten how joyful that was. No doubt led to his exit to Brentford. 

Don't blame him in the slightest for that. Winner's mentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Don't blame him in the slightest for that. Winner's mentality.

Nah, he was a proper pillock.

Would have achieved nothing by tackling the guy other than start a fight. Probably would have got taken off by Bielsa if he didn't get sent off in the ensuing brawl. And they'd have still given up the goal eventually.

Going against your manager is never worth praising. Speak up if you disagree and try to convince otherwise if you can, but beyond that you just go along with it. Otherwise you get ducked off to Brentford.

Edited by SaintRam

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Nah, he was a proper pillock.

Would have achieved nothing by tackling the guy other than start a fight. Probably would have got taken off by Bielsa if he didn't get sent off in the ensuing brawl. And they'd have still given up the goal eventually.

Going against your manager is never worth praising. Speak up if you disagree and try to convince otherwise if you can, but beyond that you just go along with it. Otherwise you get ducked off to Brentford.

The bolded bit, I agree tbf, as you should never undermine the manager. I suppose my main criticism is aimed at the fact that he was told to let it go in the first place. I don't blame any sportsperson for seizing any advantage that they can get, even if I wouldn't do it myself. For example, I would never dive but I wouldn't give a flying duck if a dive won us a game.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The bolded bit, I agree tbf, as you should never undermine the manager. I suppose my main criticism is aimed at the fact that he was told to let it go in the first place. I don't blame any sportsperson for seizing any advantage that they can get, even if I wouldn't do it myself. For example, I would never dive but I wouldn't give a flying duck if a dive won us a game.

I think standing by the goal they scored is a different discussion. I certainly don't begrudge Jansson for being unhappy with the decision Bielsa made, so I think we're on the same page there, just how he tried to act on it's own even after it had been.

I actually wonder if Bielsa folded to that because of the spygate backlash. Maybe wondering, with the reaction in the moment, that he'd crossed another cultural line 🤔 I wonder if he'd have gifted an equaliser back in Argentina...
I'd actually prefer it if what Leeds did became the norm, it would help massively with feigning injury - it wouldn't take long of it being normal practice before the player feigning got blamed for the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
On 14/07/2019 at 08:33, Rampant said:

I think it was originally going to be 4 x 30 minute quarters. 

Highlight for me was the young lad Knight in midfield. Would like to see Sibley involved against Burton too tbh. 

His pass for Waghorn was straight out of the Mason Mount school of football.  Waggy really should have scored.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

His pass for Waghorn was straight out of the Mason Mount school of football.  Waggy really should have scored.

Marriott would have! 😄 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
On 14/07/2019 at 13:20, MuespachRam said:

A great couple of days in Florida watching the Supers. 

Great to speak with Mel, he was super down to earth, friendly and open about what is going to be the plan this season etc. 

one thing that surprised me was that after both/all three games that the only player from Derby to acknowledge the fans at all was Keogh, not one other player even clapped any of the fans at the end of the game. Keogh on the other hand came over to the fans and took his time to speak to everyone there and thanked them for coming etc. the rest of the players and staff just walked off. 

Compare that tor Bristol City who were all sat in the stands arching the game, kicking balls around with their fans afterward and generally interacting a lot.  

Small things I know but some fans had travelled a long way to watch It I would have thought a few minutes out of their time wouldn’t have hurt them. 

To be fair to the players following the Wednesday game against Sarasota the players were much more approachable and appreciative of the support. Both sets of 11 players on the night took time coming off the pitch to sign autographs and have pictures etc. Special mention though to Richard Keogh and Scott Malone who spent a good 5 mins talking with myself and my sons about the game and the rams in general. In fact one of my boys was asking  keogh about his boots what make he wears etc and next game on the Saturday v Bristol he picked him out as he was coming on to the pitch and gave him a pair of his used boots. Fair to say my son has a new favourite player. No matter what is said about his performance on the pitch the guy is a true gent and a true ram!!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

His pass for Waghorn was straight out of the Mason Mount school of football.  Waggy really should have scored.

Yes indeed. Knight looked good. Despite the rave about Bird, I’ve yet to “see” it. Anyone seen the promise in him yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes indeed. Knight looked good. Despite the rave about Bird, I’ve yet to “see” it. Anyone seen the promise in him yet? 

Not yet here. The 'rave' seemed to start when Chelsea U23s coach picked him out? ATM I prefer Sibley.

Edited by RoyMac5

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.