Redemption Song?

With the advent of any new manager, there's always the odd player who'd previously been, ignored, out of favour, or totally written off by their managerial predecessor who seizes the clean slate chance  to impress in training and come back into the frame.

Can anyone see any Lazarus-esque comebacks from the likes of CM9, Flo Jo or Georgeous George, or any other?  Unlikely I know, but at least two of the aforementioned were decent once, and Cocu at least knows Flo Jo from previous times - Ok, he didn't play him much, but he certainly would know how to utilise him.

I know we're all looking forward to schexy  upgrades to many in the squad, but sometimes the answers can lie under our noses, and Cocu is - at least on paper - possibly the best technical manager/coach we've had in recent times.

Horses for courses.  It depends how he sets up the team, but what's others' thoughts on repurposing what we already have?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George Thorn was the player we need in midfield, if he can still do it after all the injuries then brilliant, if he can stay fit and get some match time he could make a decent contribution this season but obviously it's a very big if..  Same applies to Chris Martin. Really can't see how Jozefzoon can cut it at this level. I'd prefer to bring in some quality, a couple of experienced players who perhaps want a final swansong.. Alongside bringing some of the youngsters into the team such as Max Lowe.

Probs get pelters for this but before the Blackburn thing cropped up, I did wonder whether Butters might have a chance to prosper under Phil. I think it's probably a massive ask to expect George to peak again after the injuries he's had, but I'd not be surprised to see Chris Martin do well if he's over the worst of his health issues.

26 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Probs get pelters for this but before the Blackburn thing cropped up, I did wonder whether Butters might have a chance to prosper under Phil. I think it's probably a massive ask to expect George to peak again after the injuries he's had, but I'd not be surprised to see Chris Martin do well if he's over the worst of his health issues.

Had similar thoughts about Butterfield myself. Nearly put him into my team in the 433- what's your current team thread. To see if there'd be any reaction.

6 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Had similar thoughts about Butterfield myself. Nearly put him into my team in the 433- what's your current team thread. To see if there'd be any reaction.

Think it would be mixed tbh. Fair aount of support for the lad but a good few who don't rate him at all.  I guess overall he's been disappointing but I do theink there are mitigating factors in play.

1 hour ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

I suppose PC wants a look at everybody before making a call. Anya's supposed to be able to play in 4 or more positions, so surely we must be able to at least look at him as a regular bench warmer for our last year of paying him 30K a week. He's not going anywhere on that contract...

Like you said he probably wont get another bite if he is demanding those sorts of wages. However I think there is a decent player in there and if Cocu can get something out of him, maybe his worth will rise for a future sale or become a team player in the current squad.

As for Jozefzoon, I also think there is a decent player in there as well and maybe Cocu is the person to bring the best out of him. However there are rumours the David Wagner is interested in taking him to Schalke. 

Christ anya being let out the cupboard at moor farm is a surprise... obviously no longer deemed surplus to requirements then. Doesn’t mean he’ll stay, but he’s at least got a chance at it now and finding some role in the first team, rather than just being told to sod off anywhere else. Interesting change though, you don’t normally see players left out join up later in a training camp unless they’ve been injured/ on holiday. Someone’s obviously changed their mind about whether Anya has a part to play potentially or not. Cocu I would assume after he arrived. Bizzare.

Still not sure what went on with anya.

Likeable versatile reasonably skilled utility wide (well, well liked at Watford I'm led to believe) been decent for Scotland as well. Never ever got going at Derby, declined loan moves, on massive wages, had quite a few injuries and not a spring chicken anymore.

Cheers Pearson, Anya was a duff move.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Still not sure what went on with anya.

Likeable versatile reasonably skilled utility wide (well, well liked at Watford I'm led to believe) been decent for Scotland as well. Never ever got going at Derby, declined loan moves, on massive wages, had quite a few injuries and not a spring chicken anymore.

Cheers Pearson, Anya was a duff move.

Well, I'd love to hear well taken pre-season interview wth Anya. Would actually be interesting to hear what's been going on.

Archived