Sign in to follow this  
superzak

Roos, Carson or a new senior keeper

I personally thought Roos was getting better and better with each game up until the play-off final.

In the second-leg against Leeds, he was immense. Definitely think he will hit his prime in the next year or so. 

Normally keepers reach their maximum when they go over the age of 30. In Roos, the best may yet be still to come.

Hopefully the trauma of the mistake in the final doesn't impact on him next season. The Dutch are pretty cool customers, so I wouldn't be shocked if it's just water of a duck's back...

Might be out of our price range but I'd like Pope come to Derby he had a cracking season the other year and now seems to have been forgotten behind Heaton and for some unknown reason Hart at Burnley.

I like both keepers. They've both made amazing saves. 

I would say that the "cause" of conceded goals have predominantly been linked to outfield play.

If our outfield is good enough at attacking and defending, then Carson and Roos have my backing.

Although, I do remember my (unbiased) Brighton-fan friend being unimpressed with Roos' distribution. My gut feeling was that Carson's dip in form was down to a temporary niggle.

They're both good, and they're both different. I wonder if there is scope to rotate our keepers more based upon the opposition, home/ away, and tactics

I shouldn't think we need a new keeper unless we want to be hoofing accurate balls into the box - or some other tactical change, that needs a keeper with a new skills-set!

But, if our defenders lost confidence in either goalie, then I think that would trigger us getting a new keeper.

A good keeper breeds confidence! (Like all players, I suppose.)

i like both our keepers, but think it was correct to bring Roos in when Carson's form began to dip.  Think Roos did a good job all in all, his main weakness for me is that for such a tall keeper he does not dominate the box.  Not sure if Given is the GK coach to bring that out in him either.

10 minutes ago, ramit said:

Not sure if Given is the GK coach to bring that out in him either

As I said earlier I think Given is our GK problem with whatever he is teaching (or not). Our keepers have not progressed since he came.

There is no point talking about developing players, and understanding that they will make errors, if they are then ditched after the first balls up.

give roos a season to see what he can do.

same opportunity that bogle got.

33 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

We will not go up if Roos is our keeper.

Even in a friendly the ball bounced off his body more than a couple of times - still he can play rush goalie!

Based on how Cocu wants us to play I absolutely cannot see Carson playing for us next season. He’s just not comfortable enough in possession. I can’t see Cocu sacrificing his desired playing style so drastically.

Mitchell’s distribution was good when not under pressure, but panicked a bit when pressed. Maybe he needs more first team experience to gain some confidence.

Roos is probably as good as we can get at this level in terms of playing the ball out from the back. Great ball control, consistent at finding a teammate and can be trusted with the ball at his feet. But, he  needs to invest in some super glue for his gloves. 

I imagine if someone does come in, it’ll be to compete with Roos for the GK spot rather than replace him.

Roos biggest weakness is collecting crosses, that's most goalkeepers strongest point. I am 50/50 on him being our no1, i like him but I feel our defenders don't fully trust him enough.