Roos, Carson or a new senior keeper

superzak

22 hours ago, superzak said:

For me i dont trust Roos , Carson seems out the picture so do you think cocu will invest in a new senior keeper or go with what weve got?

No vacancy for me at present, I think there is a significant list in front: Central defence Defensive Midfield and Attacking Midfield all want addressing first.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CHCDerby said:

Would he drop down a division though? - if he would, I'd do everything we can to get him in. 

I’m not sure but for me the GK position is so important would be a major coup if we did get him 

A new senior keeper for me I think.

I like Roos and Carson and I'd like to see them both as number 1's somewhere next season. Roos was hugely impressive last season but before the final when my glory hunting manu supporting mate asked me how the line up looked - I said I was worried about the striker and the keeper, Bennett and Roos. 

Roos deserves the shirt as long as he's willing to fight for it - so ideally give Carson a move for another season at #1 and invest in a keeper who will push Roos very hard.

Westwood, Roos & Ravas looks good to me.

The £2million that Bristol City paid for Daniel Bentley is an absolute steal. I'd agree with much of the above.

Do I think that signing a new goalkeeper is our priority? No.

We need a pacey new centre half, a creative midfielder and a winger and our budget should be spent on those positions accordingly. If we went into the season with Roos or Carson in goal, I wouldn't be traumatised.

But do I think we need, in an ideal world, a new keeper? Absolutely - I don't think that either of the two on our books fill all the criteria (Carson is a better shot stopper and more reliable, but isn't good enough to play out from the back etc. and Roos doesn't always fill me with confidence. Neither dominate the box especially well). If we could get a keeper who genuinely improves on what we already have, for a decent amount, then I'm all for it.

Can't believe how many people call Roos a 'young goalkeeper' he's 26, yes that's not anywhere near the end of his career and still before what is considered their prime as a goalkeeper but not really young.

Most the top goalkeepers emerged young: Oblak (20), De Gea (18), Ter Stegen (19), Ederson (22), Courtois (18), Kepa (21).

Not including Donnarumma (16) who isn't amongst them yet but will be and started even younger.

I think Carson is too good and in the wrong part of his career to be sitting as a number 2. Can't make my mind up about Roos, people I know from when he went on loan at Rotherham really weren't impressed and said he was calamitous. He's had better loans since. He's got the physicality to be a big shot stopper and has had some good performances but he doesn't fill you with confidence either.

At risk of being controversial I don't rate Keogh and he creates an uncertainty at the back that would be hard for any Goalkeepers to sure up. Think that has to be a higher priority although it hasn't happened for the last god knows how many managers so they must see something and it isn't likely to change.

My view:

If Carson is number one, Roos has proven himself to be more than adequate as a number two (would he stay, was he new contract offered on the basis of him being a number two)

If Roos is number one I would get a really good goalkeeper in who is as good if not better and a similar if not younger age to push him for that spot as I don't think it is right to have Carson wasting the remainder as a sub goalie and I would imagine is on a decent wage. Whether Roos would remain number one by the end of the season is another matter all together.

I watched Championship qualifier yesterday and the new goal kick rule really will definitely change goalkeeper's game. They have to read the game better and they have to be comfortable with the ball more so than earlier. Really liked the rule, made the game faster, will have lots of influence how to press and there was more building from the back.

Also worth mentioning that substitution wasn't synonym for time wasting so very welcome change as well.

Archived