Sign in to follow this  
superzak

Roos, Carson or a new senior keeper

Both good shot stoppers but neither command their box. Both are stuck on their line and barely move. That’s the reason we concede so many corners and free kicks.

57 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Both good shot stoppers but neither command their box. Both are stuck on their line and barely move. That’s the reason we concede so many corners and free kicks.

I think Roos problem is the precise opposite of being stuck to his line.

16 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I think Roos problem is the precise opposite of being stuck to his line.

I would if agreed after the first couple of games, came off his line and did well but then seemed to revert to NOT coming off his line which I thought was odd

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You need a keeper who commands his area *and* the defence - not Roos

Could say the same for Carson

4 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

This ^

The goalkeeping department is far from our weak link. I'd rather see us invest in a new CB, CM or wingers. 

Sorry thats what I meant 

31 minutes ago, rynny said:

Could say the same for Carson

Carson commands his area & defence, he may not dash out of that area like a loon or attempt to be a Beckenbauer, but he's a better keeper than Roos will ever be.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Carson commands his area & defence, he may not dash out of that area like a loon or attempt to be a Beckenbauer, but he's a better keeper than Roos will ever be.

Sorry but Carson doesn't command his area nor his defence. 

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

he may not dash out of that area like a loon or attempt to be a Beckenbauer, but he's a better keeper than Roos will ever be.

I'll disagree @rynny But you ignored the 2nd bit.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I'll disagree @rynny But you ignored the 2nd bit.

The 2nd part wasn't anything to do with my post. I gave no opinion either way on who was better.

It is just that I don't think Carson commands his area, he very rarely comes to catch any ball into the box and the few times he does I feel nervous. He certainly doesn't command his defenders, I sit right behind the goal and he is very quiet, he doesn't communicate much with them. 

14 minutes ago, rynny said:

He certainly doesn't command his defenders, I sit right behind the goal and he is very quiet, he doesn't communicate much with them. 

I  accept your closer view then, it just doesn't come across like that when you see the affect on the defence, maybe just down to confidence in knowing what he'll do.

Having an indecisive back 4 at times (a lot of times) last season didn't instill any confidence in either of them. Can see Roos pressing on, improving and cementing the number 1 position 

Carson has been a quality keeper for us ,it wasn't that long ago everyone was shouting for him to be in the world cup squad, Think he has still got a lot to offer at this level and wouldn't want to see him playing against us in this league. A lot Will depend on how Cocu wants us to play out at the back, Carson not exactly great at distribution  but may be something he can improve on, Roos in my opinion isn't good enough at the moment but continue to develop. For me Carson every time  in preference of Roos.

If the coaching staff think that Roos has decent potential, then it makes sense to start with him. Carson might be the more solid keeper, but he isn't getting any younger (or better). But do we think Roos is a potential PL goalkeeper? I'm unconvinced...