Jacob Butterfield - signed for Luton Town

Ibby

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, David said:

He might not want the opportunity, was boo’d when he came on pre season last time so you wouldn’t blame him for wanting out.

Probably has the freedom to talk with other clubs which is easier when not out in Florida. These 12 month contracts which he, Blackman and Johnson signed never sounded like contracts they would be playing under. 

Help us out, whilst providing a fallback option of whilst you’re here, if they struggled to find new clubs.

Being boo’d certainly ain’t helping anyone, this is true

19 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I would think he has a better chance of signing over Charlie Adam, he is a better footballer plus Adam is more of a like for like with Johnson than Butterfield

Butterfield is a better footballer than Charlie Adam? ?

As good as gone - another huge contract similar to johnson who was extended into July to prolong his contract for FFP reasons but on extreme low wages ( by footballers wages) whilst he finds himself another club and he leaves on a free transfer 

4 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

He started to become awful when he decided to watch Robbie Savage's highlight reel and start passing the ball sideways and backwards at every opportunity.

He was great when he first joined, and then he lost all confidence in his ability to do anything on the pitch. A complete passenger who offered nothing once he stopped scoring goals. 

That myth was dispelled some time ago by a poster on here. Whoever it was, they showed that he passed it forward more than Bryson, Johnson and Hughes was it? Something like that. 

He played about 80 times, scored about 10 goals, was actually very very good when a consistent regular upon arriving and very good when consistently picked by Mac when we went about 10 games without conceding or whatever it was. He was massively crucial for us at one time. Badly managed afterwards, as was Hughes who struggled similarly under Rowett. Butters has since had no games here and struggled out on loan also. 

I said it before, but he appears to have lost his mojo. He’s had a poor two years. But the way the majority of our fans go on, you’d think he had been horrific. He was at worst average, and I think that’s even unfair. The price tags didn’t help him or Johnson.

4 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

That myth was dispelled some time ago by a poster on here. Whoever it was, they showed that he passed it forward more than Bryson, Johnson and Hughes was it? Something like that. 

He played about 80 times, scored about 10 goals, was actually very very good when a consistent regular upon arriving and very good when consistently picked by Mac when we went about 10 games without conceding or whatever it was. He was massively crucial for us at one time. Badly managed afterwards, as was Hughes who struggled similarly under Rowett. Butters has since had no games here and struggled out on loan also. 

I said it before, but he appears to have lost his mojo. He’s had a poor two years. But the way the majority of our fans go on, you’d think he had been horrific. He was at worst average, and I think that’s even unfair. The price tags didn’t help him or Johnson.

Sometimes a player needs to have an arm round him with the right manager he will be a decent player just not for us

• 2 weeks later...

#Rovers team in full vs Macclesfield Town: Hilton, Platt, Doyle (Nyambe 56), Wharton, Thompson, Adam, Butterfield, Davenport (White 33), Chapman (Gallagher 46), Vale (Mols 62), Nuttall

Played with the u23 today, as did Adam. Latter scored twice.

On 08/07/2019 at 19:09, Warren Hobhead said:

I don't care which direction he passed it in. 

He's been a colossal failure; his lack of physical commitment, will to win or bravery matched only by his miserable attitude.

When Blackman left, it was a case of thanks and goodbye. He tried, and he failed. Butterfield hasn't tried in years, here or anywhere, so he can get lost. Awful player, a fact made worse by the fact that he could have been a good one if he had the minerals.

The problem with Butterfield is that teams are going to want to see him before they buy him. I don't think this trial will have done us any favours whatsoever either. The only move I could see is a desperate league one side with a bit of money behind them, i.e. Sunderland. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The problem with Butterfield is that teams are going to want to see him before they buy him. I don't think this trial will have done us any favours whatsoever either. The only move I could see is a desperate league one side with a bit of money behind them, i.e. Sunderland. 

Just been reading how Sunderland don't really have any money, despite having another parachute payment to come.

It's quite a weird situation, in that they could fund a limited push now, but the EFL will look at playing contracts that run beyond this season and could enforce punishments ahead of them actually breeching the rules, if they see that the rules will be broken next season if they remain in League One!

In League One, the rules are different and you can only spend 60% of income on wages.

26 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Just been reading how Sunderland don't really have any money, despite having another parachute payment to come.

I think the jiggery pokery with Sunderland was that the guy has basically used the parachute money to buy the club after only putting in a small amount to gain control?

13 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I think the jiggery pokery with Sunderland was that the guy has basically used the parachute money to buy the club after only putting in a small amount to gain control?

and they still had Cattermole on an existing contract of 40k a week...completely ridiculous - thats a lot for a yellow card each week

On 08/07/2019 at 19:09, Warren Hobhead said:

Whilst I agree that he's been made out to be worse than he was, I think to say he was "massively crucial" for us is going a bit too far the other way.

It's not just the price tag which has lead to the disappointment, it's knowing how he played before he came here. I'd seen him play and rated him, and there was a video shared on here of him threading neat passes etc for Huddersfield. That didn't seem to be the Butterfield we got.

His Sheffield Wednesday loan was a complete failure, his confidence must of been shot after that. Thorne is in the same boat, big sum paid and on the decline after a failed loan. I hope Butterield gets back on track, I really rated him under Clement. He scored some great goals, the goal at Burnley was was an absolute rocket.

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Doesn't look like him in that photo but a lot of Luton fans on Twitter claiming he is on trial with them

I don't think that is him. Unless they're recent, his tattoos are on the right arm not the left.

Archived