Jacob Butterfield - signed for Luton Town

Ibby

46 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Sounds like none of you have yet to have the pleasure of a visit to Stoke-on-Trent?

I was going to post about a visit there about 15 years back, got caught short so had to use public conveniences. First time I’d seen that blue anti shooting up lighting. Pretty scary ?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jono said:

I’ve been to Shotts ...... it was a one time visit ?

Kirkaldy on a rainy November circa 1983 wasn’t too uplifting either. Some cracking grey pebbledash that blended invisibly with the rain, the sea and the sky all of similar hue. On reflection, It was a bit like black and white TV 

I have family connections up in Kirkaldy I can tell you there are far worse places a few miles inland that make "the lang toun" seem  like Vegas! 

My offering to the worst places poll is Bolton, did the Ironman there a few weeks ago it offered me nothing in inspration for 14 long painful hours!

Also and controversially -  Derby.

The city centre is absolutely disgraceful at the minute. 

17 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

I have family connections up in Kirkaldy I can tell you there are far worse places a few miles inland that make "the lang toun" seem  like Vegas! 

My offering to the worst places poll is Bolton, did the Ironman there a few weeks ago it offered me nothing in inspration for 14 long painful hours!

I nearly cried taking my better half there a couple of years ago to show her round. It's really declined over the last twenty years or so. Councils, planners, shopping centres, online shopping, yes all sorts have gone into ruining it, but it's sad to see none the less - and Derby is hardly alone on that front.

Of the Fife towns I've visited for work, Cowdenbeath did stand out as one on my "lets not move to here" list.

26 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

At the minute? I can never remember a time when it wasn't a dump.

When I moved here 20 odd years ago I liked it a lot. There was a nice mix of chain shops and the wonderful fish shop on saddlergate, the bakers (not birds) Bennett’s. Some ok places to eat. Easy to park cheaply,  It was all so compact but all there. Derby has been kind to me so I struggle to do it down but like everywhere else the world is changing and it’s more than just left/right politics that is causing it 

47 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Yet of you go a bit further up towards Dundee there is some of the most wonderful country. I remember seeing barley growing in a gently rolling landscape at the end of the summer a breeze running through it, fields of gold for real. Magical, burned into my memory forever.

anyway , Butterfield ? 

13 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I nearly cried taking my better half there a couple of years ago to show her round. It's really declined over the last twenty years or so. Councils, planners, shopping centres, online shopping, yes all sorts have gone into ruining it, but it's sad to see none the less - and Derby is hardly alone on that front.

Of the Fife towns I've visited for work, Cowdenbeath did stand out as one on my "lets not move to here" list.

Coatbridge an ex steel town takes some beating dreadful place.

It's something about the Scots maybe.

I lived in Corby (Northamptonshire) for a few years. It the Scotland of the South, many Scots moved down for the steel works and have stayed there. Its horrendous. People moan about Newquay on a Friday night but my god its not a patch on Corby.

The off licenses have everything behind glass and you have to point to what you want and then put the money in a metal shunty type contraption like they have in banks and they then shunt over your goods.

After living in Corby for a few weeks I had a permanent face like Butterfield. 

12 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Rhyl and Bangor town centre - truly grim . Looks like they closed in 1982 and didn't reopen .   Stoke city centre (or the five points ) is also right up there. 

This is Stoke MINSTER .  it's smaller than St Werburghs on Friargate.

spacer.png

Holyhead sounds nice but  is dreadful. I was early for the ferry to Ireland some years ago and decided to look round Holyhead. That took all of 10 mins. Mind you, Derby ain’t great.

12 minutes ago, NewquayRam said:

It's something about the Scots maybe.

I lived in Corby (Northamptonshire) for a few years. It the Scotland of the South, many Scots moved down for the steel works and have stayed there. Its horrendous. People moan about Newquay on a Friday night but my god its not a patch on Corby.

The off licenses have everything behind glass and you have to point to what you want and then put the money in a metal shunty type contraption like they have in banks and they then shunt over your goods.

After living in Corby for a few weeks I had a permanent face like Butterfield. 

Did a job in Corby ,went for a pint at lunch time with two mates both big lads and played rugby.There was only us in the pub and the bar was huge with just the three of us up against it and acres of room .In comes a local [Scottish] with all the room available barges between my two mates and orders a pint of heavy .Lovely place. 

Worse place has be some dodgy hole in Yorkshire near to Grimsby. I was changing trains there and when looking round the only 2 commercial places I could see was a Pub(not bad really) and it had a gun shop next door! 

Must be fun in that Village?

Archived