Jacob Butterfield - signed for Luton Town

Ibby

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, RamNut said:

There's a decent player in there somewhere but he's lost his way. 

Perhaps he should do what Shackell did, and drop down the leagues and just try to enjoy playing again. 

He tried that at Bradford, helped get them finish bottom, never smiled once

Sounds more like Derby didn't offer to take him to America, and he needed somewhere to carry on training. Hopefully he finds a new club. I have nothing against him whatsoever. 

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Sounds more like Derby didn't offer to take him to America, and he needed somewhere to carry on training. Hopefully he finds a new club. I have nothing against him whatsoever. 

Same here, we as fans are always too quick to criticise, but at the time of signing we throw around all kinds of superlatives to justify the signing. In hindsight that season we should have used the £10 million spent on butterfield and Johnson on two loan signings (and still had a vast amount of spare change). You can now see this is the way Mel is taking the club and proves he learnt from the mistake. 

Whilst they are with the club I’ll always support the players and wish them well when they leave, but nows the time to part ways with a number of the players to at least freshen things up a bit. 

16 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Nowhere near as bad as some people make out, try and make a square peg fit in a round hole it just doesn’t work.

Just out of interest where would u say his round hole is ??

joking aside we saw him play higher up and deep and for every moment of bit of promise and “this is his position” there was about 4-5 reminders that he’s just not good enough  

An average to ok player that thanks to Sam rush and his other vested interests Derby county payed way way over the odds for 

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I suppose once he leaves we can look forward to him being the best player on the pitch every time we come up against him, like he was before we signed him.

I wish him well.

I cannot remember that in any game to be honest.  Saw him play against us 4 time's - had one reasonable game for Barnsley.

16 hours ago, PastRAMi said:

I'm pretty sure he said something regarding Derby when he went on loan to sheff Wednesday and that's where a lot of the abuse stems from. 

"I spoke to my agent and just said Derby’s style of play was not really the way I like to play my football. I just had a feeling that he (Gary Rowett) wanted to play a more direct, physical style," 

"I said I didn’t want to spend the season on the bench and my agent made some calls and I had a few options."

How dare he say such a thing. As we all know Gary Rowetts football was a joy to watch.

If anything we should thank Butterfield for trying to do a Mark Hammill by trying to pre-warn us about what was about to come.

Butters is a good footballer especially at Championship level. He did well with us under Clement, but things haven't quite worked out since then. I'm hoping he can kickstart his career with a new club and wish him all the best in doing so.

1 minute ago, lukedcfc said:

Confidence player, a confident Jacob Butterfield is a good player at this level. Fair play to him for trying to find a club, Anya should do the same.

Agreed. 

He could have sat on his backside all last season but tried to get out last summer, but the Hull move didn’t go through on deadline day. Then chose to go to his hometown club on loan for a few months in L1. And prior to that, he played most weeks with our 23s and got great reviews for his performances and attitude.

Things haven’t worked out well for him in the last couple of years but people have convenient memory loss about his first year or two here where he was comfortably good enough.

Some of the stuff I’ve read the last 24 hours from our fans online about him had me wondering if we were talking about a different person.

I don’t know if the Blackburn thing will work out but good luck to him. On his day he’s top notch at this level. But his days seem a while ago.

Still think the sheff Wednesday comments came across poor and bitter... If it's a new managers tactics say so.... Don't make it about the club.

Said the moment he signed... Good player up to a certain level where he looks impressive with his passing and ball retention. Get up to higher in the championship and most the cb's can play safe passes consistently and for a midfielder who's passing is the main facet you need to be playing more braver forward passes... He's tried moving up to a higher championship club a couple of times now and never worked. Not sure it's a judge on his attitude more his ability. Good lower championship player, not sure he's got it in him to go higher and he's past the peak age for a midfielder

Another signing I got badly wrong. I really thought he was going to be a special player for us. Great tekkers, could pass and score belting goals but save for one short spell,  it just never really happened for him or the club.

For whatever reason, he never really looked happy at Derby though I accept that his general demanour is not that of little ray of sunshine anyway, but it's a shame that the best years of his career have resulted in him being frozen out and playing very little meaningful football.

As others have said, he looks very much to me as if he's completely lost his love for the game.

7 hours ago, David said:

Topic reopened, thanks @Dimmu for sending me the link.

Please remember to post links to sources when opening new topics in this board, whilst you can argue no journalist has shown to be reputable this summer, they are more so than the bedroom dwellers starting rumours on Twitter which are rampant over the summer for attention.

We would prefer not to give them any and without links to sources topics will be closed.

The "reputable journo" link thing is tricky. He went last Tuesday and I wondered about starting a thread, but had no source so ended up mentioning it in the Johnson new contract thread since by then Johnson had always gone up to talk with Blackburn. 

If the forum wants "scoops" is there a way to separate out official sources from stuff we hear? Maybe an Unsubstantiated Transfer Rumours thread? 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

The "reputable journo" link thing is tricky. He went last Tuesday and I wondered about starting a thread, but had no source so ended up mentioning it in the Johnson new contract thread since by then Johnson had always gone up to talk with Blackburn. 

If the forum wants "scoops" is there a way to separate out official sources from stuff we hear? Maybe an Unsubstantiated Transfer Rumours thread? 

Completely agree then requirement for it to be substantiated is pointless... Theres some more credible links on twitter than most papers. Can't see why the title of the thread can't confirm what the source is like when it goes through and is completed. As more credible sources are added, replace with the most credible source until announced

Archived