Jacob Butterfield - signed for Luton Town

Ibby

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

The video of Luton unveiling Butters is horrendous. I’m sure someone will post it. 

What's he arriving in a police van for? Has one of his mates been biting his wife's toes again?

33 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

You’re wrong. I know from close club and player contacts that he was made up at joining Derby. Loved his first season with the club and loved the fans. Read nothing into the lads demeanor. Some footballers feel uncomfortable kissing badges and ass! He was impressive under Clement for the first 2/3rds of the season. Clement got sacked when we were 5th. Before that his 2 goals at Hull put us top. Maybe, just maybe, if we’d persevered with PC we might have gone up. But his sacking and the subsequent appointment of Wassell changed everything, and I suspect knocked his confidence when he resorted to the old school and preferred Bryson (energetic but talentless!) . From there it was patchy. Mac 2 loved him, he got sacked when we were 7th. Eventually Rowetball took over. He called him out for the midfield dodging garbage he insisted on, and the “fans” turned against him. (Despite ironically agreeing with him) Booed him on to pre-season games in the early Lampard era. And Lampard, naively, was influenced, and extradited him into the u23’s. He was never a replacement for Hughes IMO, and Bryson not fit to tie his laces. Our loss! Luton’s gain! On a free! How mental is that! 

Nice try Jacob.

Sorry, never saw what we paid all that money for. Glad we have finally got rid.

For me...he was neat and tidy ...and very little else.

No pace, couldn't beat a man, didn't score .... more importantly just very safe passing, no drive on the pitch...

Not his fault we over paid and nothing personal but in my list of worst Derby signings ever. 

It'll be interesting to see how he does at Luton because while some of our Butterfield revisionists have pointed out that he was good for Huddersfield and Barnsley, they're neglecting the fact that he was absolutely dreadful for Sheff Wednesday and Bradford.

I hope he can get his career back on track but personally I don't think we'll be missing his surly attitude on and off the pitch.

1 hour ago, The Arch Deacon said:

You’re wrong. I know from close club and player contacts that he was made up at joining Derby. Loved his first season with the club and loved the fans. Read nothing into the lads demeanor. Some footballers feel uncomfortable kissing badges and ass! He was impressive under Clement for the first 2/3rds of the season. Clement got sacked when we were 5th. Before that his 2 goals at Hull put us top. Maybe, just maybe, if we’d persevered with PC we might have gone up. But his sacking and the subsequent appointment of Wassell changed everything, and I suspect knocked his confidence when he resorted to the old school and preferred Bryson (energetic but talentless!) . From there it was patchy. Mac 2 loved him, he got sacked when we were 7th. Eventually Rowetball took over. He called him out for the midfield dodging garbage he insisted on, and the “fans” turned against him. (Despite ironically agreeing with him) Booed him on to pre-season games in the early Lampard era. And Lampard, naively, was influenced, and extradited him into the u23’s. He was never a replacement for Hughes IMO, and Bryson not fit to tie his laces. Our loss! Luton’s gain! On a free! How mental is that! 

This is revisionism of the highest order. 

He may well have been made up to sign for us and he did start off very well. But after those two goals against Hull he was completely anonymous. He barely attempted anything. I was a huge critic of Johnson as well but at least he tried to pull things off, Butterfield didn't. 

Wassell decided to go back to Bryson not just because he worked a hell of a lot harder, but because his runs would stretch the play, something Butterfield was physically incapable of doing. And I take issue with your description of Bryson as talentless. He wasn't the most technically gifted player, but he was intelligent and certainly wasn't talentless. Not fit to tie Butterfield's laces? More like the other way around. 

Lampard gave him a fair crack of the whip like everyone else last season, but decided like several managers before him that there was no room for a slow midfielder with average passing ability and no inclination to try anything imaginative while on the ball.

I wish him well and he certainly did get some undeserved stick from the fans, but don't make out like he's some massive loss, because quite frankly he isn't. 

1 hour ago, JfR said:

What's he arriving in a police van for? Has one of his mates been biting his wife's toes again?

Am I missing something?

Do they let media studies students come up with the ideas?

How did they go from "Smile, hold up the shirt with your name on, say you're very happy to be here and looking forward to the season. Smile Jacob. Like when you're happy." Oh wait, not very smiley smile....ideas guys? "err, cctv footage of a police van, then the policeman lets him out and he gratifies the stadium wall, cos it's edgy and gangsta."

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

This is revisionism of the highest order. 

He may well have been made up to sign for us and he did start off very well. But after those two goals against Hull he was completely anonymous. He barely attempted anything. I was a huge critic of Johnson as well but at least he tried to pull things off, Butterfield didn't. 

Wassell decided to go back to Bryson not just because he worked a hell of a lot harder, but because his runs would stretch the play, something Butterfield was physically incapable of doing. And I take issue with your description of Bryson as talentless. He wasn't the most technically gifted player, but he was intelligent and certainly wasn't talentless. Not fit to tie Butterfield's laces? More like the other way around. 

Lampard gave him a fair crack of the whip like everyone else last season, but decided like several managers before him that there was no room for a slow midfielder with average passing ability and no inclination to try anything imaginative while on the ball.

I wish him well and he certainly did get some undeserved stick from the fans, but don't make out like he's some massive loss, because quite frankly he isn't. 

Wednesday and Bradford didn't do much for him either.

18 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Part of fans' dislike of Butterfield stems from the perception that he criticised the Rams. He didn't. He criticised Rowett's tactics. I'm 100% with him on that.

Wasn't aware of that criticism myself, I am just going on what I saw on the pitch... 'mediocre' is the most generous description I can use to describe him. 

More accurately...I would propose.....bang-average, painfully safe, non-explosive (sluggish), inhibited.....

Everything I don't enjoy in a footballer. Know other fans who's opinion I rate saw a lot in him, but I just didn't get him at all.

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Part of fans' dislike of Butterfield stems from the perception that he criticised the Rams. He didn't. He criticised Rowett's tactics. I'm 100% with him on that.

This is true. Another part of it though was his totally ineffective performances on the pitch especially during the latter half of his career at the club.

Ridiculous amount of money spent on him did nothing to further his cause which although he could not influence was still the albatross round his neck and benchmark he was being perpetually measured against.

Wish him well and hope he succeeds at Luton  

14 hours ago, Chester40 said:

More accurately...I would propose.....bang-average, painfully safe, non-explosive (sluggish), inhibited.....

The Coldplay of the football world. More of a Chris Martin than a Chris Martin. 

21 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Sorry, never saw what we paid all that money for. Glad we have finally got rid.

For me...he was neat and tidy ...and very little else.

No pace, couldn't beat a man, didn't score .... more importantly just very safe passing, no drive on the pitch...

Not his fault we over paid and nothing personal but in my list of worst Derby signings ever. 

If it’s anything like my list,it’ll be a lengthy one! ?

21 hours ago, JfR said:

Surely the real question is why are the Police delivering him to the ground to tag the wall?

Shouldn't the narrative be the other way around? 

The more I think about it the less sense the whole video makes!!!!!!

spacer.png

Archived