Chris Martin fitness

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have lost quite a lot of players since last season

right now i can't see any reason why waghorn, marriott, martin and bennett can't be the four strikers.

This appointment couldn’t have gone any better for Chris or George. Cocu’s style will suit them down to the ground. IF they can return to previous form in some way, they’ll be in and around the team. Thorne needs to stay fit and Martin needs to remember what he was doing right in our 4-3-3 days.

this is a lifeline for them both. In this setup, they have something to offer. 

5 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

3 goals in his last 40 Championship appearances.

Nick Blackman has a better record. 

I still think he could offer 10 a season for us. That’s 7-8 more than Nugent and that’s before we count his assists. He’s a very intelligent player and that’s what keeps him going.

4 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

How many of those games have been for Derby?, it isn't any coincidence that he scores his goals in our team, the way we play suits him.

His career went downhill since Nigel Pearson arrived, ever since then we have either had managers that don't fancy him or used him to free up wages for loan signings.

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

I think everyone knows he's had a couple of rough years out on loan. 

I very much doubt you'll get comments saying "He's done amazing on loan and must surely be involved" 

He's a good playmaker and offers more with his back to goal than anyone we've had since.... Steve Howard. 

We might not need him. We might find a better alternative. But currently he offers something we don't have and when you score the amount of goals for us that he has then people are going to be routing for you.

Which is why when you get Ninos and Toddy on here with their pure hate towards him you get those defending Martin perhaps being a bit generous in their praise. 

I don't see why anyone would want to tear into him based on what he's done out on loan. He plays in a specific way. He's a fussy player. Palace used him as no.10 behind Murray. We used him as a no.10 in a different way but still he was our playmaker. As a playmaker he's been good. 

As a lone striker or winger expected to hold the ball for 5+ seconds? Won't work. 

He's minimal touch/maximum support playmaker who then joins in the attack. Good footballer but not an out and out striker

I really do think that cocu's appt should allow for Martin's rebirth at Derby...the style of play and tactics would appear to be perfect for him to thrive.

The same should equally apply to waghorn and in theory,ensure that we aren't suddenly in dire straights,half way through the season when our hold up striker is injured as per 2015/16.

I'd hope that Thorne is overcoming his injury challenges too and can return to the squad as an active member but his lack of appearances on his last loan concern me.

Exciting times pre season as always but this one feels even more exciting than most.

My only issue with Chris Martin is what would people think if we signed someone now who had the seasons he has had the last few?

I loved the man back in the day, he’s been a great servant. If he comes back better than ever, then great, but I just can’t see it now. 

Definitely think he has more chance than Thorne...who's game should more based on energy, getting round the pitch and dictating play, which I just cannot see him recapturing.  A determined Chris Martin is a more useful option off the bench than Nugent was last season so don't think it's totally ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

My only issue with Chris Martin is what would people think if we signed someone now who had the seasons he has had the last few?

I loved the man back in the day, he’s been a great servant. If he comes back better than ever, then great, but I just can’t see it now. 

Strikers are this level can go through half a decade of being in and out of teams and then turn it on again. I don’t think we’ll see that happen with Martin, but the point is that it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

Waghorn had many indifferent seasons before finally coming to life with Rangers.

I count myself as a Chris fan, but I do realise that we are very unlikely to turn the clock back 4 or 5 years to build our alpha attack around him.

Nonetheless, as an alternative/back up, chipping in across a season with a few goals and assists is still extremely valuable and better than we've been used to with nuge and mason. 

I'm sure phillip will do the best thing for the team as he keeps emphasising ?

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Completely disagree. Look at Martin when he first went into pre season under clement and compare him to when Clement got sacked as an example. For what it’s worth Martin is better when he is bigger as he pushes into defenders more and holds the ball better up top. 

I heard Clement snuck sausages into the canteen to bulk Martin up a bit. The real reason Clement was sacked was because Mel’s sausage ban wasn’t being upheld. 

1 minute ago, Nick_Ram said:

Deluded.

It's not 2015 anymore. Life moves on. So should you. 

You’re right. He’s no longer good enough to be our first choice striker - I don’t think many (if any) are arguing that point. However, he’s a fantastic option off the bench / 3rd choice. Similar to why we kept Nugent last season

Archived