Keogh and Davies

Anag Ram

7 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

As an aside does anyone think that Keogh will have the captaincy taken off him this season

Davies is actually captain and Keogh is club captain. Rowett changed it (I think) and Lampard left it although Keogh was captain for most of the season due to Davies injury.

i imagine Cocu will either leave it or bring his own captain in.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are great players at this level, although it will be key to see how Davies returns from injury. We do lack a little bit of pace at the back with both of them, but between them they have a lot of skills that mean they will be a great partnership. It all depends on how we want to play out from the back: Davies isn't a player that can hold the ball and play under pressure. However, he's the probably still one of the best old-fashioned centre backs in the division, i.e. positioning, aerial ability and man-marking. I'm a huge Keogh fan, but I'd have liked to have seen a fit Davies and second half of the season Tomori play for a couple of games. I think they would've complimented each other very well. 

18 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Davies is actually captain and Keogh is club captain. Rowett changed it (I think) and Lampard left it although Keogh was captain for most of the season due to Davies injury.

i imagine Cocu will either leave it or bring his own captain in.

What is a "club captain"?

Keogh should be nailed on, Curtis I think will depend on if he can find his form quickly after such a long lay off. I do think that we need a couple of CB options though. We are lucky that Keogh is pretty resilient, he plays most matches, but we do need good cover. More importantly, neither Rich or Curtis are getting any younger, at some point will slow down and we need to have brought natural replacements for them through. I’d rather bring in players either from the academy or outside at this point who can learn not only from the coaches but also influenced by Keogh and Davies, make the progression natural. 

9 minutes ago, Anna said:

What is a "club captain"?

I pretty sure there is not a clear description for it.

You could say team captain is the one who is taking care of captaincy during the games, meanwhile club captain is more ambassadorial role; leading by example, doing media etc. and most likely be (vice) captain as well if the real captain is missing from the game.

Or you could say that's a compensational role for vain ex-captains so they wouldn't feel that bad after they've been replaced by better option.

9 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I pretty sure there is not a clear description for it.

You could say team captain is the one who is taking care of captaincy during the games, meanwhile club captain is more ambassadorial role; leading by example, doing media etc. and most likely be (vice) captain as well if the real captain is missing from the game.

Or you could say that's a compensational role for vain ex-captains so they wouldn't feel that bad after they've been replaced by better option.

Exactly as I thought, cheers!

Archived