John McCririck

David

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gone at 79

You all know my struggles back in the day with gambling etc, but for me John made racing popular to the general public in the 80/90s And was probably its greatest advocate. He may have been marmite to a lot people, but you’ll always remember him being synonymous with the sport.

He passed away at 5/2 this morning.....

RIP

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Gone at 79

You all know my struggles back in the day with gambling etc, but for me John made racing popular to the general public in the 80/90s And was probably its greatest advocate. He may have been marmite to a lot people, but you’ll always remember him being synonymous with the sport.

He passed away at 5/2 this morning.....

RIP

Nice last sentence pal. Well played ?

My dad met him when he was doing a speaking gig at a working mans club up in Sunderland.

He gave him an each way tip. Dad being dad decided to go all out and stick his money on it to win.

I'll NEVER forget the finish to that race. The odds on favourite was a horse called Coffee Boy, John Mc had tipped a horse called Jus' ta Fancy as 28-1.

Coming into the final couple of furlongs they were neck and neck. 

Then Coffee Boy missed his stride and did a little wobble stumble, which was bloody freaky 'cos I'm sure it was a flat race. Jus' ta fancy romped it.  £50 quid or so was a weeks wages to my old man, he'd have got more but it was in the days when you had the choice to pay the tax or not and dad only had 2 quid left in his whole world.

I've loved him ever since, Quirky character or not. He WAS a character. Sad day.

Archived