Martin Skrtel - Joined Atalanta

Mafiabob

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I wonder whether they mean 6m over say a 2 yr contract rather than 6m p/a

That's correct. I think he was demanding 6 mill for a two year contract at Fenerbache. Either way it's way too much to be paying a 34 year old and I reckon his agent is behind the rumours in any case.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Patrick Bamford wouldn't mess with Skrtel ?

Absolutely not. However the single greatest argument against this transfer is the tidal wave of tiresomely unoriginal “Skrtel’s still got [insert striker we love to hate who plays for Forest or Leeds] in his back pocket!!! Lol” posts throughout the season. 

Just now, Duracell said:

Absolutely not. However the single greatest argument against this transfer is the tidal wave of tiresomely unoriginal “Skrtel’s still got [insert striker we love to hate who plays for Forest or Leeds] in his back pocket!!! Lol” posts throughout the season. 

Compelling case. Things like that are why I avoid Facebook.

€3m a year is roughly £50k a week. We would probably get value for that over one season as he’d still probably be one of the best, if not the best, centre back in the division. 

If he’s on a free, it could be worthwhile. Although it doesn’t fit the ethos of the club going forward. It’s important that we do have experienced players in the squad who have his sort of mentality though. 

Someone did state in another thread that Cocu likes to sign older players on a free/loan so not entirely against his ethos. 

Dont know if Davies will have a place at the club due to the fact Cocu may favour ball playing centre halves. 

Think this would be a good addition as long as we signed another younger centre half. Maybe have Evans as that cover and midfield cover.

by having Evans as cover for both and Skrtel as CB this can mean a smaller squad and allow youth to filter through without having paths blocked.

Well if we can get rid of Anya and Blackman, there’s your salary covered for Skrtel and they never even played first team football last season.

you could replace those names with Bryson and Johnson that have already gone but they need replacing.

not saying we should do it but he would be the best CB if he came in And wouldn’t cost anything as a fee ?‍♂️

Could also try and negotiate a lower salary but bigger bonus for promotion, he just needs convincing

He is on a free so that could determine how much wenare willing to pay for him.

If we signed a player for 1.5m & gave him 29k a week that would be the same as the 3m a year reported for Skrtel. 

I trust in Mel & Pearce so if this happens I am all for it

I am happy with Keogh and Davies personally, provided big Curt proves his fitness and has a full pre season with no setbacks.

Skrtel was top class in his prime and is probably still too good for the Championship, but I don’t think he fits the profile of the kind of defender we need.

Too old, too expensive, too high profile.

Archived