What do you consider our best current starting team (with a proviso)

I am interested in what everyone feels is our best starting 11 and subs with a proviso of a maximum of 2 new loans/signings

I will start the ball rolling :

Carson/Roos

Bogle                  Keogh                New C/B          Malone/Forsyth

Shinnie

Bennett/Holmes     New Box/Box C/M        Lawrence/Flo Jo

Marriott                         Waghorn

Subs

Carson/Roos

Malone/Forsyth

Davies

Evans

Bennett/Holmes

Lawrence/Flo Jo

Martin

In my opinion this team (assuming the 2 new additions are of the quality of Tomori/Mount) should get into the playoffs

Reasoning is that :

Shinnie (from what I have read) will give us more leadership/mobility in that central C/D/M

Goals should be (fingers crossed) a plenty from Marriott and Waghorn

I'm looking for Lawrence to start to become more consistent and contribute more goals.

Holmes can cover injuries to a new box to box C/M who I believe will be our most crucial addition

My only real concerns are wide right, I don't feel we have the quality there, unless we get a new loan/signing on top of the 2 I have included.

I just want us hopefully to press from the front, because in Marriott and Waghorn we have 2 of the best.

Maybe some academy players will step up, who knows.

But I genuinely feel we are not that far away from being a quality team.

Hopefully Coco and his coaches can bring the best out of them in whatever formation/style he thinks best.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cocu is almost certainly going to play 433, so I don’t see the point in trying to fit players into another formation, so

Carson

bogle keogh new c/b malone

holmes Shinnie new c/m

Waghorn* Marriott Lawrence

subs

Roos - Davies - Lowe - Sibley - Bird - Josefzoon - Bennett

* ideally we need a new proper pacy winger, but I stuck to the rules.

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Cocu is almost certainly going to play 433, so I don’t see the point in trying to fit players into another formation, so

Carson

holmes Shinnie new c/m

subs

Similar vein to me, slight variation in formation. No place for Forsyth (on the bench?) and what about a plan B up top, Bennett similar to what is player. I'm not Martins biggest fan, but maybe would give us a plan B

Hard to answer when you don't know who's coming in/going out the door. So far I see it like this

- - - - - - - - - - - ??????? - - - - - - - - - - -

- Bogle - - Keogh - - - New CB - - Lowe - 

- - - - - - - - - - - Shinnie - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - New CM - - New CM - - - - - 

- New RW - - - - - - - - - - - Lawrence - - 

- - - - - - - - - - ???????? - - - - - - - - - - -

I've put ???? For the GK and ST positions, because I really don't know whether Cocu will want to use what we have, or go with something new.

I especially wonder about the striker position. Cocu seems to favour the big No.9 approach, and I'm not sure we have that Luuk de Jong type striker at the moment. Waghorn maybe the closest fit. Marriott doesn't fit that mould. Martin hasn't shown he can do it anymore.

As I said yesterday though, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Cocu change some players positions. Thorne and Evans might become centre-backs under his reign, due to their ability to play the ball. 

Definitely an exciting month or so ahead!

16 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Carson

holmes Shinnie new c/m

subs

Same for me except I'd be trying to get Forsyth back in as soon as possible. He is better both attacking and defending than Malone (or he was prior to injury - fingers crossed it hasn't affected him too much.)

Gk Roos/New signing or from academy

Defenders Bogle Keogh Davies Lowe Malone and a New Rb,CB signing or from academy 

Midfielders Shinnie Huddlestone Evans Thorne Holmes and a New midfield signing or from academy

Attackers Lawrence Jozefzoon Bennett Waghorn Marriott and a New winger singing or from academy

Roos

bogle.   Keogh. Tomori.   Malone

Shinnie

Holmes    Van Ginkel 

Waggy.                                Lawrence

Marriott 

32 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Similar vein to me, slight variation in formation. No place for Forsyth (on the bench?) and what about a plan B up top, Bennett similar to what is player. I'm not Martins biggest fan, but maybe would give us a plan B

To @GenBr as well.Not sure on Fozzys fitness, I’d certainly still have him around the squad still and if he comes back as good as before he probably is our best left back. 

You’ve got Waghorn to go up front. If Cocu can get Martin going again, that would be a massive bonus.

Archived