Does championship experience matter?

brady1993

Seen a few people suggest this as a worry about Cocu and similar seen people suggest it as completely irrelevant. So it got me thinking of whether it makes a discernible difference to getting promoted.

So in the past 5 years of the 15 promoted teams 8 had previous championship experience as a manager before taking over the club they would get promoted (note that this excludes people who have managed more than a season at that club but hadn't managed in the championship before), with 7 who haven't. Suggesting that it might not mean a big deal. 

Thoughts ? 

As an interesting aside: the manager of 11 of the promoted sides had previously been in charge of that club before the season in which they were promoted. Suggesting that there might be something to having managerial continuity.

Disclaimer: This is far far from conclusive analysis and was just a quick check at the numbers more than anything. I may spend a bit of time analysing it more thoroughly over the weekend if I get time. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Bielsa, Jokanovic, Wagner, Farke. It's becoming an increasingly common trend of foreign managers coming to the Championship and doing a good job, the rules of the game aren't different in different countries, so why should it matter? 

My view on it, is if they are successful as a manager in one country, they should be able to do it in another.

I remember people in England criticising Pep before he came to England and set the league alight. 

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No. Bielsa, Jokanovic, Wagner, Farke. It's becoming an increasingly common trend of foreign managers coming to the Championship and doing a good job, the rules of the game aren't different in different countries, so why should it matter? 

My view on it, is if they are successful as a manager in one country, they should be able to do it in another.

I remember people in England criticising Pep before he came to England and set the league alight. 

Thanks to £1bn+ in lighter fluid. ? 

Because someone has success at one club it doesn't necessarily follow that it will be repeated elsewhere. Cocu had a lot of success in the Eredivisie however it's not the most competitive league around, apart from a couple of times it's generally won by PSV, Ajax or Feyenoord.

That being said he's now a Ram so we will all get behind him. COYR!

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Some players struggle to adapt to the style of play, the weather, family, etc... why should it be any different for managers?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Some players struggle to adapt to the style of play, the weather, family, etc... why should it be any different for managers?

Because it's different as a player, different number of games, different intensity etc, as a manager, the physical demands won't change. A manager with experience in the Championship may have to relocate anyway, causing those other issues you mention, but I can't see a reason why Cocu should need to change style of management for the Championship hugely, maybe a little more pragmatism would be required due to number of games but otherwise?

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because it's different as a player, different number of games, different intensity etc, as a manager, the physical demands won't change. A manager with experience in the Championship may have to relocate anyway, causing those other issues you mention, but I can't see a reason why Cocu should need to change style of management for the Championship hugely, maybe a little more pragmatism would be required due to number of games but otherwise?

Most managers tend to have a preferred style of play and some won't deviate from it. For a manager who likes small, fast players, they may struggle when up against Birmingham, Rotherham, Bolton, Ipswich, Stoke type sides who are much more physical. 

Not necessarily unwilling to change style, but even to underestimate it.

Not necessary. 

If Steve Rands stayed - and i've seen nothing to suggest he went with frank - then there is continuity with him and shay given.

It’s not necessarily experience that you need, but more that you need to respect it...if that’s makes sense. Appreciate that it’s a competitive league and you aren’t better than anyone. Still think that was Bielsas downfall somewhat.

Archived